A Boeing 777 Has Crash-Landed At San Francisco International

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: A Boeing 777 Has Crash-Landed At San Francisco Internati

Post by sanjet »

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news ... a-214.html

Class act like always Capt. Sullenberger! Love it how the reporter is trying to stir something up but Sully keeps in control.
Reading this thread made me realise how narrow minded some can be. To blame solely the pilots for this is idiotic. There are much more fundamental issues behind what led to this accident.
---------- ADS -----------

Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

I am gonna put my money on lack of FMA-awareness, as in "assumed the A/T would protect the airspeed". Lack of situational awareness, as in focusing on "lateral drift" and "vertical positioning" and not including airspeed in their process.

Culture? I don't know... You have a training captain not able to tell the guy he is line-in-doc'ing that he is doing something wrong? I have a hard time understanding this...

I bet things were looking "good" until they got low and started drifting at the same time. 500-200 feet. There is not a huge amount of time between where this might just work out to the point where it all fell apart.

Not defending, just thinking in semi-factual terms. This could just as easily happen to any "culture" given the holes are lined up...

It's not always about what the automation will do, it's what it won't do even though someone might "think" it will do it...

But then again, as Sully says, it's way to soon to draw conclusions without ALL the facts!

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I always told my guys, my goal was to get them from "What's it doing now" to "Oh look, its doing it again!"

I don't think that ever happened with these guys.

spaner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spaner »

Maybe it is pretty simple,

Maybe pilots that never hand-fly their tin, or any tin, should not be expected to hand fly the tin. Nor should they experiment with hand flying. Has the industry created a "new culture"? The culture of aviation automation? The resultant automata pilot?

Maybe, if the primary glide-path is down, an alternate should be considered. It seems unimaginable that this could be a possibility, but so was that crash. Some say it's easy, some say it's suicide, but the Hays video says it all. A PPL, with a few hundred hours wouldn't let the energy bleed to that point. He'd be pushing "everything" forward. Below a 1000', it was pretty much a done deal. They configured a heavy into a brick, then tried to correct what god himself couldn't fix. Saved everyone though...I can't believe the outcome. Every one of them should be dead. :prayer:
A "rooster tail", then a crash, then a 360, then another crash, common. Course, they were going pretty slow...

Don't know,
I have pretty much the same TT and probly 50hr total is on autopilot; from one..one aircraft.
Nothing else I ever flew even had one. Unless you count my left hand as one.
1/4&200, the left hand always seems to bring her to the numbers?
I don't know how he does it :rolleyes:

The only thing left to do is wait till the numbers come back so that I can confirm the fact that he had the control FULL AFT. Fortunate that the tail in the water stabilized the stall. Saved everybody.

A perfect crash.

2.5milefinal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 2.5milefinal »

Im thinking that the late (very late) application of power saved people as well. If indeed that is the case.

bananaskins767
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bananaskins767 »

2.5milefinal wrote:Im thinking that the late (very late) application of power saved people as well. If indeed that is the case.
I agree with you on this 2.5.....Too late to save the entire show but enough to have saved many lives.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I really doubt that the intent of cockpit automation
was to create 10,000TT pilots who can't hand-fly
the aircraft, but that is inarguably what has happened.

The really sad thing about this accident is that the
inevitable, knee-jerk result will be that all pilots will
be forbidden to ever hand-fly the aircraft, thus
completing the Spiral of Pilot Skill Doom (tm).

Yet more cockpit automation will be considered the
true thinking man's (groundpounder) solution to a
lack of fundamental pilot skill. Sigh.

It's unfortunate that as a result of this completely
avoidable accident, instead of addressing the root
cause, steps will be taken to make it worse.

It's a pity that during training, pilots can't be taught
to fly the aircraft, as well as operate the toys. I
guess there just isn't enough time to train a pilot
properly, any more.

My views are hopelessly antiquated, but I believe
that passengers are owed both belts and suspenders:
Pilots who can both fly, and operate the automation.

Last edited by Colonel Sanders on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Odd video. Young pax giving a media interview. Then three cops flank him - watch their eyes very nervous - then another official whisks him away.

One of only two pax ever interviewed on media?
Besides that one twitter pic posted here the day of, of the evac, any other pics you've seen from pax? Would like to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5D235xKhS4

All I'm thinking is how fast this one was "solved" in the media...while we're still awaiting a credible First Air explanation for Resolute incident?

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Interesting to see that the NTSB said the autothrottle arm switches were on (as they should be). Even if the A/T was disengaged at the thrust levers it would remain armed and activate itself to recover from a slow speed situation long before the stick shaker. I can only think of 2 ways this wouldn't happen: Either it was malfunctioning or the captain was physically holding the thrust levers back and overpowering the A/T. Still doesn't excuse the crew for not monitoring the airspeed but I am wondering why the low speed protection didn't kick in.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Response to UAL retired captain:
I did training for Chinese students who are now mostly flying the 737 or A320 and everything this guy says is spot on. It's scary how accurate this post is to my own experiences.

When I taught them they could rote memorize just about anything. They were some of the best students on the ground that I've ever had. If I asked them "tell me what 91.213 says" they would spit it out perfect word for word. If I asked them to explain to me what we should do if we come out to the plane and a landing light is burnt out they would stare at me dumbfounded. They had no idea how to apply the information they memorized.

His story about the pilots having a website and posting sim instructor gouges is almost for sure 100% accurate. I worked at a place much smaller than KAL and Asiana and the students all had books of gouges that they kept on every check airman. They would even brag about them and were willing to show the instructors those books. Their gouges would list every question that every student had ever been asked in an oral from each check airman, and what they liked to do on the checkrides. The students would then just study those questions and memorize the answers. Most students I had who failed would give the excuse "he asked me something that wasn't on the gouge."

He's right about crosswind landings. Even my best students couldn't figure it out. It got to the point where most of them would cancel checkrides (even commercial) if there was anything above a 5kt crosswind even if the weather was 10 and clear.
I know, I know, only "cowboys" learn basic aircraft
handling, any more. If you learn stick & rudder skills,
you're an Illinois Nazis, according to avionics techs:

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

A lot of interesting comments here, if I may I will add just a few thoughts.

-Although I thought the name calling BS would get worse it didn't, there was never a need for it in the first place. This is why Monday morning quarterbacking is often foolish, people don't have all the facts. People want to rush in and speculate, cast blame and pass judgement, I guess maybe its human nature, I know I have certainly been guilty of it too.

-I can't remember and I am too lazy (sorry) to go back and see who wrote it but yes Capt. Sully is a class act and as he said to the media it's way too early to speculate and it is certainly not appropriate to pass blame, otherwise we don't learn and we unable to fix things.

-I freaking hate American media, enough said

- I disagree with the comment stating that because of this accident that there will be even less hand flying happening. I will admit that there will likely be several airlines (mostly Asian) that will push for that, but I believe there has been a change over the past couple of years here in North America in the training departments of airlines to push crews to do a little more hand flying. I believe airlines have become aware that unless crews hand fly regularly that their skills with that decline a fair bit. Although its always been emphasized about FMA calls I think there has been an increased push over the past few years about making the FMA call but awareness of what the FD and AP are doing to your aircraft.

-Lastly, I've spent enough time down there, culture plays a huge roll in the flight deck and everywhere in Asia, no matter what's written or said. Trying to take culture out of them is like asking an aviation forum not to play Monday Morning Quarterback after an accident, it can't be done.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Probably the best analysis out of the news media about this crash. It's too bad the media can't find someone like this to do all their aviation stories.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... -carry-on/

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

Bede wrote:Probably the best analysis out of the news media about this crash. It's too bad the media can't find someone like this to do all their aviation stories.

100% agreed

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Bede wrote:Probably the best analysis out of the news media about this crash. It's too bad the media can't find someone like this to do all their aviation stories.

That's because he's busy flying (for DHL, last time I checked), and blogging at http://www.askthepilot.com. Agreed, Bede, he's pretty good.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

I see ALPA is now jumping on the TSB for releasing details regarding its investigation - see http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/0 ... ash-probe/:

Air Line Pilot’s Union Criticizes NTSB Handling Of SFO Crash Probe (July 9, 2013 7:04 PM)

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A pilots’ union issued a statement Tuesday criticizing the National Transportation Safety Board for the way the agency is releasing information about the crash at San Francisco International Airport Saturday.
Air Line Pilots Association International, which represents more than 50,000 pilots from 33 airlines in the U.S. and Canada, called the release of information about Asiana Flight 214 “ill-advised.”
The statement said the NTSB reports about the investigation, crash and other details are “incomplete” and “out-of-context.”
The union stated that the details released to the media and public have “fueled rampant speculation about the cause of the accident” and that the pilots on the flight have had little opportunity to provide details about what happened.
The union has called on the NTSB to examine the full chain of events leading to the accident and to gather a full body of knowledge before releasing information.
NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman said at a news briefing Tuesday afternoon in South San Francisco that the information the agency is providing is consistent with other investigations after accidents in other modes of transportation.
She said the NTSB works for the traveling public and “one of our hallmarks is our transparency.”
But she said the probable cause will not be determined while workers are still on the scene and that a full analysis is far off. She advised the media to be cautious speculating on the cause of the crash.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

pdw wrote:Something occurred shortly before the accident ... that they weren't expecting, approximately at "500 feet" / "134kts".

From 1400 feet to 200 feet they lost 58knots of airspeed (AS) while only losing about 26kts of groundspeed (GS).

By 500 feet the AS started to get slower than GS, by 200 feet was about 10kts below ... in clear/stable air ... with a minor crosswind/headwind of 6kts-only shown them on the ATIS.
They crashed at approximately 11:30. I spent some time on beaches, and can attest that around lunch time, on a hot day, the low wind switches from shore to sea. This may explain the sudden loss of airspeed...
If you did any parasailing on a hot beach, you would know. :roll:

x_atc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by x_atc »

complexintentions wrote:The standard arrival puts you directly overhead at 11,000 feet for a downwind left or right, and then they turn you base when they feel like it, and assign you a visual when you haven't asked for it.
ATC can assign a visual regardless of whether or not you've requested one. What's your point?

And I suspect that there's more criteria associated with the turn onon base than "when they feel like it". ATC is not a random series of events, especially in highly congested airspace like that.

Surely you know better than to make such statements if you actually have the experience that you claim to have.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

I disagree with some of the view expressed here regarding "culture" and I'd like to explain further. Aviation authorities around the world work hard on developing international standards that allow the various airlines to occupy not only their domestic airspace but foreign airspace as well.

Various international agreements document the privileges of foreign airlines over our airspace. If any airline is going to suffer from "cultural" deficiencies that are related to the race and origin of the pilots it is our failing to allow them into our airspace.

If a particular airline has a poor safety record, whatever the reason, it's responsibility of the various international authorities to sanction them. Under this system, "culture" only plays in to it if it's a company culture or a airworthiness authority culture. Not racial culture.

These dubious bleating from people who are "in the know" are just exposing their inability to communicate or their racial prejudices. Statistically, there is no direct evidence that accidents are related in any way to the race or ethnic culture of the pilots or airliners that enjoy the privilege of operating in places like the US, Canada and Europe.

All the anecdotes of outrageous behaviour of "foreign" pilots can be easily matched by anecdotes regarding pilots in Canada, the US and all over the world.

I, for example, there are a couple of well known operators in Canada whose aircraft I wouldn't ride in if you paid me. Yes, it's a "culture" thing. Not an ethic or racial culture. A company culture.

As far as automation goes, comparing "hands on" flying between small aircraft and large airliners is apples and oranges. Large airliners operated under airline operating rules simply enjoy the best safety records of any aircraft operation segment in the industry. That safety record is in large part due to the automation incorporated in modern airliners that reduces the workload to a level where 2 pilots can manage without a navigator and an radio operator and a flight engineer on board.

Without that automation it would be impossible to operate modern airliners within their performance envelope with any consistent safety. If that means that airline pilots can't do manage aerobatics, so what? There are probably plenty of pilots who started their careers in the major airline on big iron that wouldn't do so well on a Turbo Otter in the bush but guess what...there are plenty of bush pilots who couldn't make the cut to fly large airliners. Apples and oranges.

It wasn't that long ago that all 747s had a flight engineer station and you can imagine that when things go sideways on the 2-crew 747-400 the workload can increase quickly. Comparing the hand-flying of a 777, landing at 240 tons with a Vref of 137 against a Pitts or a 172 that "cruises" at that speed? Don't even start.

spaner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spaner »

You view is narrow, and antiquated at best, I'd say by 10, years.

SnapShot-10.jpg
SnapShot-10.jpg (87.89 KiB) Viewed 2145 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kREPMzMLk&t=+23m

I can't believe even half the stuff I'm reading lately... :shock:

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

None of the passenger seats were ejected from the aircraft. The six uninjured flight attendants were interviewed and reported that after the aircraft came to a stop, one of the flight attendants at 1L went to the cockpit and checked with flight crew whether an evacuation should be initiated, the flight crew instructed to not initiate the evacuation. The flight attendants at 2R saw fire outside the aircraft near seat row 10, consistent with the position of the right hand engine's position adjacent to the fuselage, and initiated the evacuation. 90 seconds after the aircraft came to a stop door 2L closely followed by 1L opened and the evacuation began. 120 seconds after the aircraft came to a stop the first emergency responders arrived on scene, about 150 seconds after the aircraft came to a stop the first fire agent was applied to the right hand side by emergency services. Emergency services entered the aircraft with a hose and attempted to fight the fire from the inside of the aircraft as well as assisted in the passenger evacuation. While trying to liberate the pinned flight attendants emergency services observed fire coming in from the window/fuselage. The NTSB is probably going to release runway 28L to the airport within the next 24 hours. In an interview with Korean Authorities the pilot flying reported that a flash of light occurred at 500 feet which temporarily blinded him, the NTSB confirmed that this was mentioned in their interview as a temporary event, too.

So - why in gods name would you tell everyone NOT to evacuate after what you just went through!!!!!!

Head shakingly DUMB!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”