Coast Guard helicopter crash off CCGS Amundsen

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Coast Guard helicopter crash off CCGS Amundsen

Post by flyinthebug »

frozen solid wrote:I can't imagine what it must feel like for her crew, having that thing sitting on the helipad. I wonder that they didn't have the other ship do the recovery. I would find it difficult to do my job under those circumstances. Hopefully they changed the crew while she was at Resolute. My feelings are with the crew of the Amundsen. Horrible to lose a crewmate; even worse when it's the Captain.
Well said and agreed. Knowing the crew as I did and the Captain, I am certain this is a very difficult journey for them...but one they felt they wanted and needed to do for their fallen Captain and crew mates. I do believe just from a logistics standpoint and knowing the rotation of the crew, that they very likely did a crew change in Resolute. A bit more difficult than it was in YEV to move everyone, but Borek & maybe First Air or Cdn North would have got it done.

Tragic accident and my most sincere condolences to the 3 people lost, their families & friends...and of course the entire crew of the Amundsen. They are a tight knit group who spends months at sea together in the most challenging conditions in the world. They cant help but become family in that situation.
---------- ADS -----------

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Thanks for the link Old Man. I've had my first of several reads. This report contains some really important learning information on several themes. I'll be circulating it in my aviation community, and beyond that.

The most experienced, well trained, and well equipped crew made several errors which added up to fatality.

Everyone who flies over Canadian water should be familiar with the relevant sections of this report!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”