India - King Air B200 crash caught on video March 27/2014

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: India - King Air B200 crash caught on video March 27/201

Post by Canoehead »

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking of the 1900D- but maybe it's pneumatic too.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That looks exactly like what falling below Vmca feels like! Didn't even try to bring the gear up, and climbed way too steeply. Throw in hot and high and left engine failure, and maybe as you said, retarding both power levers to land in the remaining runway disabling the auto feather... Brutal.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: India - King Air B200 crash caught on video March 27/2014

Post by pelmet »

I thought I might add this information from a different thread which seems like good King Air advice....

"I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant but as a TRI who has delivered over 150 King Air type ratings in the last 6 years my former students know I am paranoid about a few things relating to the King Air, namely:-

1. Complete a take off brief whether you are MP or SP to include touch drills as to what to do in the event of an EFATO
2. If nothing else carry out an auto feather check prior to every flight not just first flight of the day. It takes 30secs and may save your life
3. As part of your line up checks ensure that the auto feather is armed

A working auto feather is part of the MEL certainly on Raisbeck and B250 aircraft, without it you will really struggle."

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Brantford Beech Boy wrote: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm but yanking both pwr levers to idle would cancel the autofeather...somewhat equalizing the drag....still a bad scene

good video to teach why u should continue once past v1....

BBB
Unless the associated engine is on fire then I'd be landing straight ahead, especially if there is runway left.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: India - King Air B200 crash caught on video March 27/2014

Post by iflyforpie »

pelmet wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:29 pm I thought I might add this information from a different thread which seems like good King Air advice....

"I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant but as a TRI who has delivered over 150 King Air type ratings in the last 6 years my former students know I am paranoid about a few things relating to the King Air, namely:-

1. Complete a take off brief whether you are MP or SP to include touch drills as to what to do in the event of an EFATO
2. If nothing else carry out an auto feather check prior to every flight not just first flight of the day. It takes 30secs and may save your life
3. As part of your line up checks ensure that the auto feather is armed

A working auto feather is part of the MEL certainly on Raisbeck and B250 aircraft, without it you will really struggle."
Very good idea.

We had an auto feather fail due to a wire short in the wing. It would arm every time, but it would not auto feather when tested. It went undetected for months because the pilots were told that runups were done by AMEs every day which included all of the time-consuming goodies like overspeed governor/rudder boost, low pitch stop, autofeather, etc etc. The AMEs had no idea how to do an auto feather test and had released the aircraft to service with a new prop with no autofeather test being done.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”