G4 off 11 @ KBED

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

G4 off 11 @ KBED

Post by midwingcrisis »

Ugly pics and fireball.....
---------- ADS -----------

How do you go 205 kts TAS on 32 gal/hr without turbos!
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: G4 off 11 @ KBED

Post by Oxi »

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html
“This is preliminary information about a Gulfstream IV aircraft that apparently ran off Runway 11 at Hanscom Field in Bedford, MA at 9:40 p.m. today,” the agency wrote in a statement. “The aircraft was departing, it apparently caught fire. We do not know the number of persons on board or destination yet. We will update this statement when new information is available.”

A joint statement from the Bedford Police and Fire Departments confirmed responders received the call around 9:42 p.m. Saturday night, and that a hazardous materials team was also at the scene.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Lewis Katz, media and sports mogul, dead in Massachusetts

Post by nottellin »

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I guess there maybe is a reason why 'controls free and correct' is on the evil checklist.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Obviously the cause of this accident isn't known for sure, but if it was because of the control lock somehow remaining engaged, it certainly wouldn't be the first. Checklist or no checklist, this is one that I have a hard time understanding.
I get how people forget to put the gear down or to set the flaps, or make bad decisions about ice or weight or weather, their abilities, etc. etc.
What I can't picture is how you can get all the way to V1 or even airborne without sensing that your primary flight controls are not moving or responding as they should because of a control lock left on.
Anyone?

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Does the G IV have a tiller for taxiing? I assume yes, and its probably not effected when the control lock is engaged?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Most jets I've been around utilize tiller nose-wheel steering that is not affected by the flight control lock(s) being engaged.
This only partially answers your question:
Nosewheel Steering

On the ground, steering is provided by a hydraulically actuated steerable nosewheel. The nosewheel has a mechanical limit of 82 degrees each side of center. The steering system has stops that limit the requested angle to 80 degrees each side of center. Unlike the earlier airplanes, the G-IV nosewheel affords you 7 degrees of steering through the rudder pedals. This 7 degrees of steering is introduced over a one second period starting when the nosewheel nutcracker indicates that the nosewheel is on the ground. The nose steering is powered by the "Combined" or the "Utility" hydraulic systems. In the event those systems are inop, differential braking may be used for directional control on the ground. In order to use differential braking to steer, you must turn the nosewheel steering system off. This is done with a red guarded switch located just forward of the tiller. The nose steering system is disabled unless the nut crackers are in the ground position.
The nosewheel steering is controlled with the tiller, located to the left of the captains seat. When a steering input is made, the tiller electrically controls the hydraulic valve that makes the steering actuator steer the nosewheel.
A bit of interesting discussion on the G-IV gust lock here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments ... _iv_crash/

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”