external GPS for Ipad

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

external GPS for Ipad

Post by loopy »

I'm considering a external GPS for use with an Ipad mini. I use Jepp FD and Fltplan.com. Bad Elf claims compatability with several apps, Garmin Glo doesn't. Looking for any info on how well either works with these apps.
---------- ADS -----------

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: external GPS for Ipad

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

I bought a BadElf Pro+ to pair with my iPad Mini and FltPlan Go app. It worked very well. I was surprised at how many satellites it would find, even when clipped to my flight bag on the back seat. It didn't even need to be on the glare shield to get a signal.

If you are in the YVR area you are welcome to try it out, PM me.

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

+1 Bad Elf. There was a recent glitch with the new ios from Apple that was a pain for a couple months so hopefully that doesn't occur again. Otherwise it's a great product and works well.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Dual Are great

http://gps.dualav.com/

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

I have a Dual GPS that I never used, interested? It paired well with the Ipad for the tests I used. Just never ended up needing it with the job I got.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Which model Dual GPS is it? What are you asking?

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Anyone using a Garmin Glo? What I read is that they only claim compatibility with Foreflight. However, once the GPS info is sent to the device (IPad mini) shouldn't that data be usable by any app?

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

loopy wrote:Anyone using a Garmin Glo? What I read is that they only claim compatibility with Foreflight. However, once the GPS info is sent to the device (IPad mini) shouldn't that data be usable by any app?

I bought a Garmin GLO and it seems to work for me using Flightplango and also Cloudahoy.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

we use iPad Mini + Fltplan-go & Jepp FD with Garmin Glo.
Everything works fine.

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

So here I am, back researching the same thing for a different employer. At the last one we ended up using the Bad Elf Pro and it worked very well high Jepp FD on the IPad Mini. It also worked on FltPlan Go.

Comparing prices again, and again looks like a better deal on the Garmin Glo. BBB, still working fine with your devices and apps? Anyone else have any experience with this product?

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

I'm using a Dual 160. Great little device. The resolution is amazing - I can distinctly see different turning radii where I taxied (at 172 size turning circles). It pairs seemlessly with the iPad every time and I believe supports up to 5 different connections at once if you wanted to let others share it. Even used it on a United 777 once since they've removed the screens from seats. The silicone holder is awesome - never slides around on any surface. It'll even stick to vertical faces if it's clean.

My only compaint is that it uses a mini-USB connection, rather than the newer micro-USB. Not a huge deal since I need to carry multiple cables anyway (damn Apple and their proprietary connectors), but micro would at least my phone and GPS could share a cable.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

If you have the Garmin Glo, did you get the aviation model or just the standard model?

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”