ATC/Cockpit Audio Recording - What Do You Use?

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

moflyzone
Rank 0
Rank 0

ATC/Cockpit Audio Recording - What Do You Use?

Post by moflyzone »

First post! Forgive me if it's in the wrong place or if I haven't searched for the answer well enough

I recently bought a Sony HDR-AS300 action cam to record myself flying for later training review. I also bought this ATC cable hoping I'll be able to record the audio I'm hearing through my headset. Since my cam has a microphone jack, I connect the cable to the camera through its microphone jack as shown in the Amazon product page.

I've since tried this setup on two flights - once with and once without a power bank connected. Both times, the camera recorded me transmitting but didn't record ATC or anything else coming through the headset. I could hear everything just fine in my headset - which is connected through this cable.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it?

If not, what do you use to record headset audio and how satisfied are you with that?
---------- ADS -----------

moflyzone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ATC/Cockpit Audio Recording - What Do You Use?

Post by moflyzone »

Searched around and this setup worked for me:
Connecting this conversion cable to the camera on one end and the headset plug on the other. If you don't have a vacant headset plug, you can use this splitter.
Only thing is you won't actually need stereo cables. So you might be able to save a couple bucks buying mono instead.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”