Can I log Pilot in Command time?

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Can I log Pilot in Command time?

Post by Chaxterium »

Gino Under wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:32 pm The comparison between a Canadian pilot logbook and say a Chinese, Korean, or Japanese pilot logbook is embarrassing.
Can you explain what you mean by this?
---------- ADS -----------

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

To those who explained how CARs treat pilot-in-command entries, thanks. Your input was appreciated.

Many foreign regulators require detailed, stamped, and additionally, in some cases, signed entries to validate pilot logbook entries. In my experience, Canadian pilot logbooks are rarely requested by instructors or examiners prior to or following a training session or checking event. Other countries do it as a matter of validation by the instructor or examiner. However, this alone never eliminates fraud or falsehoods.

Please don’t be too bothered by my odd curiosity with this, but...
I’d be curious to know how any authority could check an individual pilot logbook entry based on Journey Log. Short term, it would be relatively easy. Are Journey Log’s kept for decades? If the operator no longer exists, are old journey logs kept in a TC vault somewhere, forever and a week, in case they have to verify your PIC entry on a particular date, is in fact legitimate? Enforcement action is about the only instance I can think of where TC or CTSB would really dig into pilot logbooks.

Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There a regulation for each of 604, 702, 703, 704 and 705 the same as this:
703.87 (1) An air operator shall designate for each flight a pilot-in-command and, where the crew includes two pilots, a pilot-in-command and a second-in-command.

(2) An air operator shall record on the operational flight plan the name of the pilot-in-command and, if applicable, the second-in-command who were designated under subsection (1) and shall retain the plan for at least 180 days after the day on which the flight is completed.
So - there should be no doubt who is PIC for a commercial flight.

Journey logs have to be kept for a year after the final entry.
I’d be curious to know how any authority could check an individual pilot logbook entry based on Journey Log. Short term, it would be relatively easy. Are Journey Log’s kept for decades? If the operator no longer exists, are old journey logs kept in a TC vault somewhere, forever and a week, in case they have to verify your PIC entry on a particular date, is in fact legitimate? Enforcement action is about the only instance I can think of where TC or CTSB would really dig into pilot logbooks.
There's no guaranteed way for TC to verify who was PIC on a historic flight, after the records are destroyed.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Photofly

Excellent post. Thanks for the clarity.

Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”