Right iPad app to navigate the MacKenzie River

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Right iPad app to navigate the MacKenzie River

Post by Prairie Chicken »

A friend is planning to drive the Dempster next summer, and is taking quads and river boats. He's a qualified ship's captain and is looking for charts of the navigable waters of the MacKenzie and possibly other rivers along their route. The problem he is encountering is there are not that many marine charts for those rivers and he's thinking av charts may be the next best option. I've given him some old sectionals but an iPad version with a moving map (it's a GPS iPad) would be better. The sectionals would be a larger than desirable scale but I'm not sure if there are forestry or other charts for that far north, and I'm doubtful if there would be apps for them. I'm trying to help him if indeed an aviation chart turns out to be his best alternative to marine charts.

Quads & river boats are way outside my world, and so is VFR navigation in electronic format. Does anyone here have any experience or suggestions? Price isn't a concern.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Right iPad app to navigate the MacKenzie River

Post by CpnCrunch »

Try Air Navigation Pro...costs $50 and you can download a bunch of free open source maps. In fact, Air Navigation Standard will probably do the job for $11. I've got Air Nav Pro on my ipad, so let me know if you want me to send you screenshots of any particular area.

I just downloaded the free NT-YK openstreetmap chart for Air Nav Pro, and it seems to have a detailed map of the MacKenzie river as well as all the towns, roads and airports (but obviously it doesn't have any water depths). It's pretty much the same as you'd see in google maps, but with the addition of aviation data.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Contact the coast guard..They go up and down it each year and remark the channels..I am pretty certain they will have proper marine maps. I would think aviation maps are a bit sketchy when it comes to channels..If he is going up the dempster to Inuvik, navigating the delta can be tricky..Not sure how you could do it with sectionals.....

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Thanks Cpn, and good thinking Kule. I'll pass both along to my friends.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Starting from Arctic Red, the Delta starts into a million channels. Annually we spend perhaps 30 hours searching for people who get stuck in silted channels. The Coast Guard in Inuvik would be worth a call in June for updated info.

Inuvik MCTS Centre: (May 15 to October 31 only)

Mailing Address:
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Canadian Coast Guard
Officer-in-Charge - MCTS
P.O. Box 2659
Inuvik, NWT
X0E 0T0

Fax Number: 867-777-2851

Email address: Officer in Charge

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”