Pay My Training Bond?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pay My Training Bond? Should i worry about a lawsuit?

Post by AllClutch »

Pay it. In 20 years when your a wide body captain it won't matter.
Congratulations.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I wouldn't pay it. Let then come. Maybe after a while work a deal to pay a lesser amount... You know they probably take 5 or less and cut their losses. That's a big maybe too, I d prefer not to pay.

$13K? What feckin kinda course did you do?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Talk to your present employer and see if you can make a deal to go to A.C. without having to suffer financially until your earnings allow you to pay the money back, they may give you a break.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Historically many operators have pursued the bonds they were owed, and won. You signed the agreement, and it is a legal agreement. It may not be worth their time to go after the $13K, but if they don't enforce it, it could be viewed by others that they won't enforce the bond after all, and it will lose all value to the company.

I worked for a company who had a pro-rated promissory note for $8K for training. They admitted that most likely they wouldn't go after people if they left a little early. However one fellow took the training and immediately left to another operator using his fresh training on the aircraft type. Why he left for that particular shady operator, I don't know, but the company was so pissed off they went after him and easily won their $8K back.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

1) Initial Call, or hired?
2) Talk with your employer either way, let them know you got the call, it's your dream, blah blah blah
3) Be very diplomatic, tactful, and as helpful as you can (give them as much notice as humanly possible)
4) If shit goes south, you signed the contract and it is ultimately your responsibility to pay the money.

Remember, they made you sign a bond for this EXACT reason.

I'm curious though, for those of you out there who took a job with a company with a bond while simutaneously applying at Air Canada: Did you tell your employer that you had applied at AC or did you tell them this (current) position was the be all end all of aviation and your dream come true?

E

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

AC gives you a job, you take the job!! Congrats! 8)

Maybe it could be worth spending a few bucks on a lawyer and see your options (abusive bond) or

You were hoping to earn 30k a year and you will earn much more... worst case scenario you have to repay a loan and 12k isn't that bad. Your boss might agree with some monthly payments as well.

Ps edit: If you feel they treated you right and with respect, they deserve the same from you. Act accordingly and think of the next pilots following you.

Last edited by timel on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

There are a few errors an Employer can make which could invalidate a bond. Assuming this isn't the case, I think your best strategy would be to try to work out monthly installments. Refusing to pay at all will most likely get a civil judgement against you. Once your Employer gets that, I'm not convinced Air Canada would be thrilled to see your wages Garnisheed.

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

did you get the job at AC due to your experience from the job you signed a bond with? If so the it seams honourable to pay them for what you agreed on. if not then why the feck did you sign a bond for a job that wouldn't gain you career advancing experience!?
I hear AC agreed on signing bonuses? I'm not too familiar with the new agreement or when the terms come into affect but if they offer a signing bonus then you shouldn't be out worse off once the dust settles.

Aside from that, even tho I don't agree with bonds, I do agree with keeping your damn word! you made your bed, now sleep in it!

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Even asking this question means your word is worth ZERO. No wonder the industry keeps shoving these things at everyone. As much as i am against them. i am now starting to take the employer side. There has been talk of unions etc so these don't have to be signed. It would be easier for the employers to get together and insist everyone signs a bond. Although there are employers out there were their word is worth zero and love to cherry pick a fresh PPC. Of course there are pilots that will jump ship to make $1.00 per hour more after taking a $13,000 PPC.

Be a man and pay up.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Those numbers sound familiar.. In my case they kept my last paycheque and let me go! Didn't have to pay more than the 1k, instead of the 11k I owed.

whodareswins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whodareswins »

You have two choices.

1. Pay out the bond.
2. Tell Air Canada that you are in an employment contract and that you'd like to defer the course until a later date.

If you were waiting for Air Canada to call, you probably shouldn't have accepted a job with a training bond unless you were willing to pay it out.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

If it's an actual job offer with AC, you have to take it. DOH! Be a gentleman and up front and honest with your present employer. Bonds are sort of in place to prevent pilots from making lateral moves, not to cook their careers. AC is not a lateral move. Most will understand this. You might get nicked, but for an AC job, I suspect you'll get a hand shake and a "congratulations, and good luck..."
Keep us posted. Congrats!
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
zulutime
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zulutime »

Lots of good advise. Some poor advise (IMHO).

Business is business. You made a choice to sign a contract. Now you need to abide by that very contract. If you look at your career long term this is but a small blip on your radar. Nothing wrong with speaking with your current employer to try and mitigate your damages but do it respectfully as suggested earlier by another poster. Don't grovel. If they aren't willing to work with you, pay it and move on. ALWAYS take the high road. You'll be better off in the end.....always!

Congrats for getting a position with AC.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

You signed a bond.
Four months later AC comes calling.out of the clear blue? Not likely. Yousent a resume in.

So you agreed to a bond, got the training and then almost immediately started applying to AC.

And now you want to weasal out of paying the bond.

If I was your present employer I would sue your ass off. And I hope they do just that.

You, and others like you are the reason companies require bonds.

Good luck in your career

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

trey kule wrote:You signed a bond.
Four months later AC comes calling.out of the clear blue? Not likely. Yousent a resume in.

So you agreed to a bond, got the training and then almost immediately started applying to AC.

If I was your present employer I would sue your ass off. And I hope they do just that.

Good luck in your career
Trey, he might have applied to AC many months ago. Would you really go after him for a jump to AC? To Brand X, down the street, for sure, but AC?
You folks have got to give your heads a shake and STOP SIGNING these things! You want to be able to grab the brass ring when it's offered? Stop signing bonds. Ya dumb FAAKS!
Illya

PS....this is likely a troll?

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Its getting to the point every employer should start demanding bonds. They should also right in the bond if we have to sue you and win you will have to pay the full cost of all legal fees. Not court appointed cost's which are next to nothing.

If you signed it come good for it and quit making the rest of us pay.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

How can anyone fault thon for applying at Air Canada. While simultaneously talking about it being the top of the career ladder.

Maybe thon sent a résumé so thon could start the long application process in hopes that in a few years from now they might call. No one thought they would call so soon.

Obviously one can't take a chance of saying no but is there anyway to take the process slowly to help continue working off the bond at the present company?

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
trey kule wrote:You signed a bond.

Good luck in your career
Trey, he might have applied to AC many months ago. Would you really go after him for a jump to AC? To Brand X, down the street, for sure, but AC?
You folks have got to give your heads a shake and STOP SIGNING these things! You want to be able to grab the brass ring when it's offered? Stop signing bonds. Ya dumb FAAKS!
Illya

PS....this is likely a troll?
Sure feels like a troll :axe:

As mentioned above, plan to pay a chunk of cash out, most likely not $12k though. Talk to the boss, let him / it / her know the situation and that AC is your dream blah blah blah. Try offering a single lump sum payment opposed to multiple payments over the next 30 years, or other such agreement. Makes life a lot easier for both parties. Have AC called with an offer or an interview? That's the other half of the pie to worry about.
Just a call, tell the boss and keep them in the loop. An offer, get the cheque book out...

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Don't tell your present boss anything if the job with AC is not FIRM! Hopefully, you're at least that bright? Not like you're literate.
Frankly, I smell a troll.
Illya

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Doesnt seem to be a troll, seems like legit posts here for a job earlier this year...
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 17#p858617

I guess I should write something here.

Return to “Employment Forum”