Road trip help. Thunder Bay and Winnipeg operators.

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Road trip help. Thunder Bay and Winnipeg operators.

Post by North Shore »

Watch out for seasonal operators at this time of the year. Mid-February, and they're probably down south doing sportsman's shows, so no one is at the office.

Places you visit, ask the rampies or pilots if you can borrow a couch for the night - buy a 2-4 and a pizza in return. That'll cut down on costs - unless you start buying expensive German beer :wink:
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Lots of decent companies to start out at on that list, and some not so good. Know that at PAG these days you may be looking at spending a ton of time on the ramp waiting to fly (they don't hire pilots directly off the street), as there are 80+ people on the wait list and little movement or hiring. If you already have some time on a Pilatus, maybe better to look elsewhere. Best of luck to you.

PROC_HDG

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Don't hold your breath at Perimeter right now. Lots of layoffs over the winter, including ground staff, so don't think they'll hire anytime soon.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

North Shore wrote:Places you visit, ask the rampies or pilots if you can borrow a couch for the night - buy a 2-4 and a pizza in return. That'll cut down on costs - unless you start buying expensive German beer :wink:
Here in Ontario local beer unfortunately is more expensive than the german import ($2.95 per tall can vs. $2.15, just saying). Might be cheaper to stay at a motel after all thanks to the liquor control board of Ontario ;)

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Keewatin operates a PC12 NG. They have a tougher time staffing it compared to the B200s for some reason; so it pays well. Capt is 65K, 2 on 2 off. You know some people there, they went to school with you. Save your money, call them!

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It Pays better because you only have one engine in the arctic your screwed if it shuts down.

Chelo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chelo »

Roman,

I am in the process of planning the exact same roadtrip that you outlined in your OP. I am the definition of a lowtimer so I won't be in line for the same type of job as you. I plan on rolling through those cities in early March in search of an entry level job, most likely on a ramp. I can tell you that your list is pretty solid. With your hours, definitely make sure to stop at Keewatin and Bravo. The one I would add is Missinippi Airways, based in The Pas.

I've never been to YWG or northern Manitoba so I hope you keep your thread updated or feel free to PM me letting me know how it went or any tips on where to stay/visit. I am hoping to make a similar thread in a couple of weeks so I'm interested in your ventures.

Regards,

Chelo

roman.ivanenko
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roman.ivanenko »

Chelo,

I will post a report once I come back.

roman.ivanenko
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roman.ivanenko »

North Shore wrote:Watch out for seasonal operators at this time of the year. Mid-February, and they're probably down south doing sportsman's shows, so no one is at the office.

Places you visit, ask the rampies or pilots if you can borrow a couch for the night - buy a 2-4 and a pizza in return. That'll cut down on costs - unless you start buying expensive German beer :wink:
Great idea North Shore. Apart from the cost saving it would be cool to get a feel for the potential co-workers and the overall company climate. In the end if I'm offered a job I would be making a commitment to the company too. Don't want to be the guy that absolutely blindly accepts anything that's given and then be complaining that everything is not the way I imagined it.

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

Anyone know the current ramp wait times for the Winnipeg companies mentioned?

Return to “Employment Forum”