Road trip help. Thunder Bay and Winnipeg operators.

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

roman.ivanenko
Rank 0
Rank 0

Road trip help. Thunder Bay and Winnipeg operators.

Post by roman.ivanenko »

Hello,

I'm planning to do a trip at the end of February to shake some hands and drop off my resumes. I have compiled a list of the main operators in these two cities using PCC.

Winnipeg: Perimeter, Skynorth Air, Calm Air, Fast Air, Keewatin, Keystone, Walsten Air(Kenora)

Thunder Bay: Air Bravo, Bearskin, Thunder, Wasaya.

I already have a couple of primary target companies that I am really interested in working for, but I know that I am definitely missing some potentially great employers. If you can suggest any other companies in those areas that would consider a 600TT guy with a little PC-12 charter experience it would be greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to find more companies on my own, but thought I can get some input here. I want to do as much research as I can before heading out.

PS. I didn't get fired from my PC-12 job, the plane left. :)

EDIT: Thanks for the warning guys, I am aware of some issues with some operators. I just threw out a list all the companies that I know are based in those cities.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by roman.ivanenko on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Road trip help. Thunder Bay and Winnipeg operators.

Post by cdnpilot77 »

There is a name on that list in YWG which you need to avoid at all costs. If the others get wind you've been there, they will not take a second look at you. Research will tell you which one.

Edit: I'm sorry, I also wish you best of luck! It ain't easy being out of work, been there done that...hope it goes well!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

That company shares a name with a cheap beer brand. You could add Keewatin to your list

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifieddriver »

It would be a good informative post, if people used the opportunity to name the "good" operators out there. Where can low time guys get a start? Where should you go on the road trip? I am considering a road trip around the same time. Let me know how it goes if you go before me.

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

glorifieddriver wrote:It would be a good informative post, if people used the opportunity to name the "good" operators out there. Where can low time guys get a start? Where should you go on the road trip? I am considering a road trip around the same time. Let me know how it goes if you go before me.

Glorifieddriver,

I do not believe the above would pertain to you. Your previous posting suggests that you are not unwilling to accept substandard working conditions. So go for it, anywhere you can get on, a job is a job right?

BL

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

BverLuver wrote:
glorifieddriver wrote:It would be a good informative post, if people used the opportunity to name the "good" operators out there. Where can low time guys get a start? Where should you go on the road trip? I am considering a road trip around the same time. Let me know how it goes if you go before me.

Glorifieddriver,

I do not believe the above would pertain to you. Your previous posting suggests that you are not unwilling to accept substandard working conditions. So go for it, anywhere you can get on, a job is a job right?

BL
Don't forget to give yourself a pat in the back for such a great remark. Now learn to be an adult and answer the question, if you have nothing else to say, move along... this website is really out of hand. I am done wasting my time on here.

Out.

GD

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

glorifieddriver wrote:
BverLuver wrote:

Glorifieddriver,

BL
Don't forget to give yourself a pat in the back for such a great remark. Now learn to be an adult and answer the question, if you have nothing else to say, move along... this website is really out of hand. I am done wasting my time on here.

Out.

GD
Glorifieddriver, because that is exactly what you are!

From what Ive been reading you have little experience in this industry yet seem to be unable to take criticism from people with plenty of it.

You talk about going along for a road trip, just recently you were making a B line for the Susi Air! Here is hoping you can figure things out before coming back!

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Also, Skycare, Wamair?, Sandy Lake Aviation, Superior Airways, North Star out of Pickle..and cdnpilot77, you couldn't be further from the truth. All pilots have moved on to better carriers such as Calm Air, Canadian North, Sunwing, Keewatin, North Cariboo, Skynorth, Jazz, Porter, Creeway etc. And no, I'm not defending this company at all. From what it seems like, the owner does not respect his pilots.
I am not sure if Al is still around, but he runs a small charter company called "Alair" out of St. Theresa Point. Discovery Air in Dryden (Walsten like you mentioned), Northway Aviation may seem good with your single engine turbine time, Gillam Air, Amik Air, Air Creebec has a Timmins base, Wabusk Air in Moosonee just to name a few.

Last edited by FOD_Vacuum on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Criticism? I do not need any right now, I am not your co-pilot, co-worker or friend. I take criticism with joy from people that I know are experienced. If I had to make judgement on most people here, it would not be positive. Such "experienced" folks would never act like such children. And if you think for a minute that I will put my life and flying career in hands of a forum poster, god forbid I ever get a job in this industry because I would not deserve it.

What most people need to learn here, is how to discuss their differences in a polite way and back up everything with a fact. And not because I said so and I am so experienced.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What most people need to learn here, is how to discuss their differences in a polite way and back up everything with a fact. And not because I said so and I am so experienced.
I take it you are biased against anyone with experience in aviation?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cat Driver wrote:

Not at all. Actually I look up to people with experience just most people here come across as imbeciles. Experienced people back up things with a fact. There is no facts here. Most people make accusations and back them up with nothing short of just their own personal experience. I just wish that we stuck together more and supported each other. That would be a good first step in the right direction.

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cat Driver wrote:

Also based on your recent posts, I have more respect for you than a lot of other people. Helping someone is not necessarily to say do not do this or do not do that. It is about saying, this is what I know about xyz company : (Insert facts here)

roman.ivanenko
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roman.ivanenko »

FOD_Vacuum wrote:Also, Skycare, Wamair?, Sandy Lake Aviation, Superior Airways, North Star out of Pickle..and cdnpilot77, you couldn't be further from the truth. All pilots have moved on to better carriers such as Calm Air, Canadian North, Sunwing, Keewatin, North Cariboo, Skynorth, Jazz, Porter, Creeway etc. And no, I'm not defending this company at all. From what it seems like, the owner does not respect his pilots.
I am not sure if Al is still around, but he runs a small charter company called "Alair" out of St. Theresa Point. Discovery Air in Dryden (Walsten like you mentioned), Northway Aviation may seem good with your single engine turbine time, Gillam Air, Amik Air, Air Creebec has a Timmins base, Wabusk Air in Moosonee just to name a few.
Thank you for the info FOD_Vacuum

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

"That" company has a reputation because of its past, and it's unfortunate because there are some great people who work there now, and at this point its the same BS that you find at any 703 charter business.

Some people have gotten lucky, while most have had to make the best of things early in their career in order to gain experience.

How many ex Nav Air, Sonic Blue, Skyward etc. people have had very successful careers despite how rough the early years were? I can think of several people who are currently at AC and Westjet who worked for these companies early on. Are they inferior human beings or pilots?

I'm not defending the company's past, it is absolutely appalling. I am saying that things have changed, and while you may be outraged by a company or it's management, I think it is shameful and in many cases hypocritical to say things like "I would never hire somebody who worked for XYZ."

If you get an opportunity, think through your situation and make a decision. At any 703 company, go into it with your eyes open, and if you have to say no, say no. To steal a quote from North Shore, Life, License, Job, in that order.

But from what I hear, you won't have to. It's not the same place.

Sorry if I start a sh*tstorm.

Roman.Ivanenko: That list looks good. Good luck

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

A$$, Licence, Job, Gear Jerker! Sadly, I cribbed it from someone else, tho, so I can't take credit... 8)

To the OP: is there not a master list of all of the PC12 operators on Canada lurking around? When I was a young fledgling, there was a thing (IIRC)called the JP List that you could look up. Failing that, give the dealer a call, and see if you can chat the secretary into giving you the names of a few more operators. I think that Nakina has a PC 12, also...

And, unless you have a rock solid reason for needing to stay in one city or another, then it would seem a little foolish to just limit your job search to TBay and YWG. Winnipeg is only a day from Thompson, The Pas, Saskatoon, LaRonge, The City that Rhymes with Fun, Calgary, and so on...

Good Luck!

ps. If you root around using the search function, there's some good road-trip ideas on there; here's one: CAA membership is a good deal at ?$60. - towing from the middle of nowhere to somewhere else to fix your car is really expensive...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Kississing has a plane or two in Steinbach. If you venture to Thompson, there's Creeway and another Kississing base. Missinippi has Navajos and King Airs in The Pas.

HK_Wings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HK_Wings »

There are some Hoe operators in Sioux Lookout (SkyCare and another new company). North Star and Cargo North in Pickle Lake. Superior Airways and Wasaya in Red Lake. Walstens in Kenora.

Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground...
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pilot Career Centre website offers a "full" listing of operators for most places in the world, including a pretty packed listing for Canada. If you dig around TC website, there is a way to search all active AOCs including all privately registered business A/C. Between those two you should be able to find well over 170+ Operators in ON alone. That is what I use when I do my hunting.

roman.ivanenko
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by roman.ivanenko »

Gents,

I appreciate all of the advice and information provided.

If I could, I would gladly travel through the whole country and stop by every operator. In reality it takes more time and costs more $$$ than I have. Based on the research I did so far, those cities have the biggest concentration of operators. For the time being I can afford 1 trip and those are the two places that I found to have the most operators that I am interested in.

Roman

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Lots of the companies listed are on the way between tbay and Winnipeg. Put it this way being major cities they may have bigger concentrations of operators but also much bigger pools of people applying to work for them. With gas being so cheap right now it's practically free to drive you could probably drive to Thompson in a small car from winnipeg for $40-50 so you don't really have an excuse not to. It would be cheaper to drive to all the small towns with companies and get a job then it is to just go to YWG and YQT and not get one.

Return to “Employment Forum”