Low-timer Road Trip

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Low-timer Road Trip

Post by powerbrian »

Bearskin is hard up on their 1000hrs now. Westwind will hire low timers however there is no seniority. They will put you to work on the ground with no guarantee that you will fly. There are some rampies that are still waiting after two years. I dont know much about Calm Air

PB
---------- ADS -----------

the_duck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by the_duck »

I know this topic is polarizing and I'm not here to debate the finer points about entry-level flying jobs, however I feel that some of the responses in this thread are wholly unhelpful to the original poster. Regarding entry-level jobs in NWO, the larger 703/704/705 operators IN GENERAL require between 500-1000TT, and this is partly due to the contract requirements for Hydro, medevacs, etc. I personally know people who have who have been hired with less. YXL has a number of wheels operators (Northern Skies, SkyCare, North Star) who hire truly low-time pilots, as does Superior in YRL, along with Wasaya in both YRL and YPL. There are a number of float operators scattered between YXL and YRL as well, I know many float guys got started in that part of the province. As for the apparently taboo "ramp" jobs, you'll find varying wait times depending on the company and the base. Superior rampies fly the 182 or whatever it is, and the Navajo right seat. The companies that PPC guys on single-pilot aircraft like the Caravan or the PC12 have a provision in their COMs that allow the logging of time. The training is legit and while you may spend the better part of a year or more dividing flying with chucking cargo you will be flying, the end game is to get you experienced enough to upgrade.

The point is that opportunities can be found at all sizes of company, and your personal experience can vary depending on internal movement, contract requirements, seasons, the market, etc.

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifieddriver »

the_duck wrote:I know this topic is polarizing and I'm not here to debate the finer points about entry-level flying jobs, however I feel that some of the responses in this thread are wholly unhelpful to the original poster. Regarding entry-level jobs in NWO, the larger 703/704/705 operators IN GENERAL require between 500-1000TT, and this is partly due to the contract requirements for Hydro, medevacs, etc. I personally know people who have who have been hired with less. YXL has a number of wheels operators (Northern Skies, SkyCare, North Star) who hire truly low-time pilots, as does Superior in YRL, along with Wasaya in both YRL and YPL. There are a number of float operators scattered between YXL and YRL as well, I know many float guys got started in that part of the province. As for the apparently taboo "ramp" jobs, you'll find varying wait times depending on the company and the base. Superior rampies fly the 182 or whatever it is, and the Navajo right seat. The companies that PPC guys on single-pilot aircraft like the Caravan or the PC12 have a provision in their COMs that allow the logging of time. The training is legit and while you may spend the better part of a year or more dividing flying with chucking cargo you will be flying, the end game is to get you experienced enough to upgrade.

The point is that opportunities can be found at all sizes of company, and your personal experience can vary depending on internal movement, contract requirements, seasons, the market, etc.

I thought northstar was out of pickle lake not sioux. I do want to check them out does anyone know best place to catch someone from their operation. An update from me, I am not in cochrane waiting on train to moosonee. I had a lot of conflicting advice on going there but I decided to drop in before moving on to thunder and sioux later this week.

the_duck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by the_duck »

You are correct, the North Star/Cargo North base is in YPL. Also when I referred to C208 and PC12 PPCs, I meant PCCs.

chapfo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chapfo »

I'm considering doing this too in spring.

Do they usually just hire on the spot or like a week later (when I'm back in Toronto)?
My issue is that I dont have a vehicle so I'm planning to rent one for the trip to NW ON, MB, SK, AB.

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

chapfo wrote:I'm considering doing this too in spring.

Do they usually just hire on the spot or like a week later (when I'm back in Toronto)?
My issue is that I dont have a vehicle so I'm planning to rent one for the trip to NW ON, MB, SK, AB.
I am not yet an expert on this, but I am as far as Winnipeg right now. I did not have anyone offer anything yet, but everyone so far gave me a few minutes of their time. I would not go as far as AB, my friends that live there are calling for tough times (lay offs, slow down in business, etc) That being said, I gathered that I am a few weeks early on this trip, most northern companies seem to pick up in the spring when winter roads melt. But that's because my circumstances would not allow me to take the trip at a later date. I think that you might be better of flying into most places, because if you factor in the cost of rental car on top of gas/hotel/food, it would probably run you a similar amount, but will save you from the boredom/risks of driving countless hours day and night. I left on Monday at 21:00 and so far been to Moosonee, Thunder Bay, Sioux Lookout, Winnipeg. It is exhausting driving all the hours, and then slapping yourself in a face a couple times to regain some awareness to go and meet people and seem somewhat not retarded lol. If you are driving from Toronto, Moosonee is accessible by bus and train. Would probably cost you around $250 return as a stand alone trip. Then you could shop for a deal to Thunder Bay on Porter/AC/WJ and get there and drive to Sioux on rental car which will not cost you that much, about 4 hours drive one way. So daily rental around $35 plus a tank of gas. Winnipeg/Saskatoon you could do when the price is right on flights. If I did it all over again, I would do this. Keep in mind, I am not really stopping by float operators, as most people are not in town yet or out on shows. So if you're going on a later date, you will have MANY MANY MANY more places to visit and then in that case, driving would be the only option.

Hope this helps.

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

cdnpilot77 wrote:I'm not sure there will be much available to you west of Calgary, but maybe 1 or 2 operators in the lower mainland? Definitely go North to Yellowknife, but again, I think Whitehorse probably isn't worth the time, unless you were going to fly and even then, the operators I know of up there generally look for more flight time than what you have to offer.
Just an FYI, in Yellowknife you'll find only ramp jobs. Summit, Buffalo and Tindi all start guys on the ramp. The only possible exception would be Adlair. (Based in Cambridge Bay but they have a hangar in Yellowknife.)

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

jspitfire wrote:
cdnpilot77 wrote:I'm not sure there will be much available to you west of Calgary, but maybe 1 or 2 operators in the lower mainland? Definitely go North to Yellowknife, but again, I think Whitehorse probably isn't worth the time, unless you were going to fly and even then, the operators I know of up there generally look for more flight time than what you have to offer.
Just an FYI, in Yellowknife you'll find only ramp jobs. Summit, Buffalo and Tindi all start guys on the ramp. The only possible exception would be Adlair. (Based in Cambridge Bay but they have a hangar in Yellowknife.)

Well so far in my travels, I have pretty much encountered the same story with everyone that I visited except for Keystone and Bushland. I am fully aware of what has been written and said about Keystone, however I was in the airport there anyways today and paid them a visit to see their operation first hand. I did not get to see much to comment on anything at all, except I met the CP there and he told me that they will be looking for a Navajo co-jo/Rampie. So even though you will be ramping you will be logging time as well. I am not quite sure if I ever went to work there, I guess it will depend on the turn out of my trip, but I have heard from even talking to CPs around the country to steer clear of this operation. So I am not sure I would want that on my resume. You only get to make your resume once, so got to be aware of all the "dangers"

I have visited most places in MB today and decided to stay the weekend here. As the weekend is not really a time to do business, I am just going to sit back and relax, take some notes on my trip so far and do some more research.

Also, if anyone here has already figured out who I am, I want to thank everyone so far that I visited. I felt extremely welcomed and has been given great advice. I never expected for people to be so open and to give me that much of their time in the middle of their day to day duties. I must say that our group of aviators in Canada is top notch and I cannot wait to be a part of it! Thanks again guys!!!

GD

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

GD
You know you can post without the quote feature....right?
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Illya Kuryakin wrote:GD
You know you can post without the quote feature....right?
Illya
Thanks for the tip :lol: I guess it does get annoying...my bad! And I am doing it this time just to poke at you a bit! No hard feelings..

GD

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

GD, this is just my 2c so take or leave the information as you please.

I would urge you to consider 'censoring' your posts to only show the facts. I gather that you're trying to help those following in your footsteps but writing in the style of a blog, where you include your opinions and hearsay, won't be as beneficial to those behind you as you think it may be.

If you choose to share your journey, just accept that every CP, line pilot and hangar rat you meet may know your story and thus, will already have formed an opinion of you.

I applaud your honesty and enthusiasm but don't want it to hurt your chances of landing that first job. I would suggest that you edit your posts accordingly.

All the best!

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thank you for the advice. I know sometimes my problem is being to open and honest in what is in my mind. Some people might like it, some might not. But at least you will never have to guess what is brewing underneath the hat. I do think that it is time to change some of this, especially on this forum as it is something that might end up hurting me one day down the road. But I think for those who have met me, it would be pretty easy to finish forming that opinion fully. I will never be liked by everyone, and I am not trying to be. I am an honest person who will always offer a helping hand even to those that might have their backs turned on me. Just who I am. I do appreciate you pointing that out though, as I have been thinking over this lately, especially since someone has mentioned to me that you must be GD in my travels :lol:

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Did you check in with any of the float ops who might still be south for the winter? Might be worth popping in at selkirk while in winnipeg to see whats up.. they usually have a pretty good grasp on whats going on with a bunch of the operators. I will suggest checking in with Alair and sandy lake seaplanes. They do run wheeled machines and take on low timers occasionally. What about Mcmurray aviation? There are a couple of smaller ops in northern AB that might be worth visiting. Calgary and Edmonton are 'probably' a waste of time at this point. I'd still get a resume and e-mail off to KBA anyways.. You just never know! Where are you thinking of stopping in Sask? Any other spots in MB? missinipi? I went through the pas and flin flon myself about a decade ago…

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hey Rowdy thanks for the suggestions. I have not done many float ops on my trip yet. So far visiting charter ops have taken quite a bit of time as people have been as I said very welcoming. Most places spend at least 30 minutes with me. Winnipeg has been very good so far, there is a place where I have to return early next week for some more talks and I decided to park it out here till then and study up a little. If all goes well, my trip might end here. If it does not I am going to visit Transwest and a few smaller places Blue Skies and Shart Tail south of Regina. I might drop into KBA, but at this point inn time I have pretty much decided not to venture past SK. I have lots of companies to follow up with and I think with patience something might just pop up out of this trip so far. I will still need to go back to Sioux and Nakina, and perhaps visit some more float ops in NWO. I went by adventure air, but I was a little late, they hired two guys just recently.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

"Position: Beaver and 185 Pilots
Company Name: Lac La Croix Quetico Air Services
Contact Name: Jay Handberg
City: Lac La Croix
Province/Territory or State: Ontario
Web Address: http://www.campbellscabins.com
Email Address: ccmail@campbellscabins.com
Phone Number: (800) 238-4224
Send Resume & Cover Letter Via: email
Aircraft Types: DHC-2, C185

Job Description:

Quetico Air Service on Lac La Croix is looking for Beaver and 185 Pilots for the summer float season. Season typically runs mid-May to mid-September.

Must have Valid Passport or able to obtain prior to Start Date "

....seems like a good year for float jobs - all you need is a passport!

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Just seen the ad. Seems like a nice little place to spend a summer at. I will be leaving YWG in the next few days for SK. And by before the weekend hopefully will start on the return journey home. I have that place on my list to visit, also I still need to drop back by Sioux, and head over to Nakina (Who also very recently had an ad up). Thanks for the share!

Egres
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Egres »

Hey GD if you're heading to the NWT I would recommend that you don't skip Fort Simpson there's two operator and its a great place to start nice little town beautiful country to fly.... both operation are located in town not at the main airport Cheer !!

Egres

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

At this point in time time will not permit me to venture this far anymore. Some cities took longer than planned. I am hoping that the places I visited will be enough to land a job sometime this year. Thanks for the suggestion though, if I didn't have to be back by a certain day would have dropped in there for a visit.

Thanks

GD

Qfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qfly »

Figured Id post my question here rather than make a new topic

Im planning my own road trip, but quite a few CPs/Ops Managers are hard to get hold of when I call
Most of the dispatchers I talk to generally say its not a problem if I drop in, but is this the case for most people?

Kind of nervous dropping into places unannounced, dont want to annoy any prospective employers.

glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Did my road trip in February, had a few offers and now close to 400TT and love the company I work for. I was worried about the same thing when I did my trip but everyone has been very accommodating. Do the trip and you won't regret it.

GD

Return to “Employment Forum”