North-Wright

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

North-Wright

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Seriously?? A degree or an aviation college diploma to be a ramp rat. Give your heads a collective shake!
Kids....AVOID.
Illya
---------- ADS -----------

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: North-Wright

Post by Flybabe »

Wow.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V2plus10 »

I enjoyed this add leads you to believe that you will be performing ramp duties and then progressing to the flight line. As a former employee I will clarify, you will start as an office employee (Cargo, Check-In, Reservations) working 5 days a week(used to be more until the labour board forced their hand), then you will "Get the books" and start training whenever it suits them (a PPC can take up to 1 month). You finally pass your ride and are on the flight line. Your life basically doesn't change. You're 5 days a week stays, regardless if you're a twotter cojo and you fly 2 hours once every 2 weeks in the winter. All for a base pay of 1000$ a MONTH and mileage (6-8 cents a mile), wait that cant be right what about those winter weeks where I still work 5 days ramping and don't have flights?.....

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Is the bond still 4 years? Paying in $250 a month that you forfeit if you leave before 4 years is up?

atmosphere
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atmosphere »

Tail-Chaser wrote:Is the bond still 4 years? Paying in $250 a month that you forfeit if you leave before 4 years is up?
As far as I know they still deduct $250 p/month for 36 months and then you get it all back when you complete your contract which is 36 months after initial PPC/PCC, and you don't get it back with interest! In addition to this, they have now decided to put on an additional bond for there turbo-prop airplanes, total and complete bullshit. If you leave before the contract is up, you don't get your accumulated $250 back and now you might be having to fight a bond on top of it.

Word has it that pilots vacation/out time has been modified in order to help prevent them from going down south for airline interviews, since recently they lost several people to various regionals.

Seems like it was a good place to start a few years ago, but looks like it's becoming a shitty place to work at.

"It's good to learn from your mistakes. It's better to learn from other people's mistakes." - Warren Buffet
+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

If it's a 36 month contract how long would the bonds be for?

V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V2plus10 »

+RA wrote:If it's a 36 month contract how long would the bonds be for?
Last I heard Twin Otter was 1 year 18,000$. Assuming you've been there a couple of years (ramp time and piston driving), you've already paid for the training so the ridiculous estimation for twotter training is irrelevant.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

atmosphere wrote:Seems like it was a good place to start a few years ago, but looks like it's becoming a shitty place to work at.

Becoming?!?

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Last edited by awitzke on Mon May 11, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Somewhere in a previous not-right thread, I did the math for a new employee showing up, and assuming they were completely debt free and had no social life, it would take over 6 months working here just to afford a plane ticket out. Drink away your sorrow and you're pretty much effed, or going into debt to escape. Give it a wide miss.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

There is so much talk about learning from the experience of others.

And I bet that there is a good chance some of you ex employees posting were given the same advice.....and ignored it.

And I think there is probably a good chance that more than a few of the college kids will jump at this opportunity....I doubt they will have trouble filling the positions.

To bad that pilots will rationalize anything in their quest to stream up the career path...and then bitch about it later.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “Employment Forum”