Jazz

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jazz

Post by nohojob »

---------- ADS -----------

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jazz

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

??? Its an ongoing post. It was there before yesterday...and even at the beginning of this month. Current word off the street: they are currently doing 2 ground schools a month. A few months ago, those ground schools were going from spring to end of fall or December of this year. Now with this ''newer'' post, things might have changed meaning the deadline for ground schools might have gone beyond Fall. Westjet mainline has opened F/O positions too as of today. Big shuffle in our industry, there fore alot of movement. Its a good time to apply!

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Any commmuting possible with Jazz? I live 1 hr away from YUL in a city deserved by Jazz.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

I can tell you what I know and what I had as past experience. You must live a maximum I think 1 hour away from the main hub you are based. I think the hour / Hour and a half regulation is a pretty generic rule for most companies. Jazz is with ALPA, so jump seating is available on most Canadian carriers and many US carriers as well. That is available immediately as soon as company ID or RAIC is issued. I think the official Air Canada passes kick in 3 or 6 months after your hire date; but don't quote me on that I am not sure for the months.

If I were you I would not commute on company planes even though it is close. Many factors such as weather, mechanical issues etc etc can hinder you arriving in time for your flight or standby times out of YUL. And don't be caught arriving late on jumpseat privileges! Management in any company hates that. Best is to drive. That or get a secondary crash pad in YUL. Montreal cost of living is pretty cheap.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:??? Its an ongoing post. It was there before yesterday...and even at the beginning of this month. Current word off the street: they are currently doing 2 ground schools a month. A few months ago, those ground schools were going from spring to end of fall or December of this year. Now with this ''newer'' post, things might have changed meaning the deadline for ground schools might have gone beyond Fall. Westjet mainline has opened F/O positions too as of today. Big shuffle in our industry, there fore alot of movement. Its a good time to apply!
Any word if they are interested people with a lot of BE20 PIC time? No luck for me so far with the airlines with having a lot of king air time.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

NickyNick wrote:
Sky_Conqueror wrote:??? Its an ongoing post. It was there before yesterday...and even at the beginning of this month. Current word off the street: they are currently doing 2 ground schools a month. A few months ago, those ground schools were going from spring to end of fall or December of this year. Now with this ''newer'' post, things might have changed meaning the deadline for ground schools might have gone beyond Fall. Westjet mainline has opened F/O positions too as of today. Big shuffle in our industry, there fore alot of movement. Its a good time to apply!
Any word if they are interested people with a lot of BE20 PIC time? No luck for me so far with the airlines with having a lot of king air time.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

NickyNick wrote:

Oh God... can you just go away already?

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:I can tell you what I know and what I had as past experience. You must live a maximum I think 1 hour away from the main hub you are based. I think the hour / Hour and a half regulation is a pretty generic rule for most companies. Jazz is with ALPA, so jump seating is available on most Canadian carriers and many US carriers as well. That is available immediately as soon as company ID or RAIC is issued. I think the official Air Canada passes kick in 3 or 6 months after your hire date; but don't quote me on that I am not sure for the months.

If I were you I would not commute on company planes even though it is close. Many factors such as weather, mechanical issues etc etc can hinder you arriving in time for your flight or standby times out of YUL. And don't be caught arriving late on jumpseat privileges! Management in any company hates that. Best is to drive. That or get a secondary crash pad in YUL. Montreal cost of living is pretty cheap.

I was under the assumption that so long as you were booked to arrive one flight before your flight departs, you're good. That gives you a one flight buffer to still make it on time. If for some unforeseen circumstance you are bumped from both flights, no skin off your back.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I was under the assumption that so long as you were booked to arrive one flight before your flight departs, you're good. That gives you a one flight buffer to still make it on time. If for some unforeseen circumstance you are bumped from both flights, no skin off your back.
When I was at jazz couple years ago that is exactly what the policy was. I only had to use it once or twice, and never heard a thing from any manager or crew sked.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Until AC opens up the hiring taps, the only jobs available are the "temporary" contract gigs with Sunwing and AT or the Mc jobs at Jazz and Encore, things are not as bright as some believe. Just look at the amount of layoffs since January.

Gravity always wins
cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

One of the requirements on the Jazz website is: All applicants shall be licensed by Transport Canada to act as First Officers on 705 category aircraft.

I am having trouble finding exactly what the requirements are to "act as an FO on a 705 category aircraft." Is that just another way of saying you need to have your ATPL (min 1500 hours etc)?

Thanks

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Your IATRA or your ATPLs written (which gives you the privileges of an IATRA) are all that are that are required to be FO on 705.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

jpilot77 wrote:Your IATRA or your ATPLs written (which gives you the privileges of an IATRA) are all that are that are required to be FO on 705.
Must also have a room in a basement at mom/dads and a vehicle prepaid for with spending allowance. No spouse/kids either. Don't worry, though it'll pay off when you move up to AC and make the big bucks. Go get'em kid.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Hilarious. :roll:

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Indeed the IATRA or ATP's is the minimum needed for the 705 Ops. The secret for Jazz is that they prefer 2000+ hour guys with solid Multi time. Yes there has been some people that went in with less. But recently the high time requirement has been ruling. I can't believe the salary though!!!!

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

That was the case in the past few years, however I have been told (from the inside) that they are having trouble finding guys with 2000+ hours that they want to hire. Remember just because you're qualified doesn't mean they want to hire you. The new norm is 1500+- with talk already of going 1000+- if you have a lot of multi time.

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AWOS »

I know guys who have made it it with less that 1500. It's crazy to think that'd they'd look as low as 1000 hours.

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

It cracks me up sometimes when I read posts on this forum from people who don't understand the hiring practices at regional airlines. Regionals like Jazz hire 1500 hrs because they prefer to. 5000 hr pilots sometimes come with baggage that 1500 hr pilots don't.

Jazz wants pilots who;

- Will work for $40k/yr
- Drink company coolaid
- Easily trained and molded by management and company policy
- Have a "positive attitude" (not some one who grudgingly takes a pay cut and a forced move)
- Won't bail after the company invests +$20k in training

If Jazz wanted to target 5000 hr pilots, they would. Airlines are under huge cost pressure, so wages aint going up unless they %100 have to. But with a well structured, regulated, safe SMS/SOP/FMS environment with upgrade times +5 years or more, 1500 hr pilots @ $40k/yr in the right seat work out just fine.

Some ones is going to read this and say, "Hey, if 5000 hr pilots were more available they would be hired ahead of 1500 hr pilots." And thats probably true, but 1500 hr pilots with positive attitudes have proved to be great for the right seat on a dash-8, they'll always have a place at the regionals, 5000 hr pilots aren't worth the money most demand.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

AWOS wrote:I know guys who have made it it with less that 1500. It's crazy to think that'd they'd look as low as 1000 hours.
Try 250 hrs with the college kids. Lots of them have been hired. I heard one saying he's going left seat in 2 years when he gets 1500TT :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

Inverted2 wrote:
AWOS wrote:I know guys who have made it it with less that 1500. It's crazy to think that'd they'd look as low as 1000 hours.
Try 250 hrs with the college kids. Lots of them have been hired. I heard one saying he's going left seat in 2 years when he gets 1500TT :lol:

Thats really funny actually lol.

But seriously, 703/704 experience just isn't that necessary at the regionals. 2 years at Jazz and 1500 TT feels a little light on experience for the left seat, but say, 2500 hrs all experience on the dash-8. all at jazz? that'd be perfectly fine for a skipper I'd think. Pilots with alot less time than 2500 TT are promoted on King Airs flying into tiny gravel strips with 200 hr co-pilots in the artic all the time! (Keewatin)

Return to “Employment Forum”