working for bearskin

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

working for bearskin

Post by tsukubacpe »

Hello everyone, I am planning on doing a road trip soon and have been going over some companies I would like to drop by, bearskin being one of them. Would anyone care to chime in how the company operates? How long would I have to work ramp before I get a chance at the right seat? pay? anything can help.
Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: working for bearskin

Post by North Shore »

FFS, you dimwit - did you not read the advice given to you on your other thread about roadtrips? :roll:
Here, I'll yell it, and maybe it will get through this time:

SET YOUR SIGHTS ON A FLYING JOB; YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE TO WORK THE RAMP AT ALL!

If you go out of the gate looking for a ramp job, then thats all you are going to get; if you start off looking for a flying job, but willing to work the ramp at the right place, then you are much further ahead.
If you wanted to work on the ramp, then why did you just spend $60k on learning how to fly - you could have saved a whole whack of time and effort by just going to your local construction site with a shovel in your hand, and askiing for work as a labourer.

Reading between your lines, it seems that you have your sights set on an airline career - which is fair enough. To a certain extent, it is a race to get an ATPL, and a seniority number, but theres lots of time to take the scenic route to get there, so don't limit your initial work options to strictly airline ops...

Have fun!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

haha Yes, I did read it and I will now set my goal to a flying job instead of a ramp job.
thank you

however, Bearskin is a company I would like to fly for. I'm assuming they wouldn't even look at my resume with 300TT

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Geeez..."apply for every job you want, not just the ones you think you are qualified for..."

You need to do some more reading on here.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

What xs said...Every job I've had or interviewed for I haven't been "qualified" for on paper. I've done it enough times to notice a trend forming in my own career path. If you submit a decently put together resume and have the balls to pick up the phone to follow up with an ops manager or chief pilot, you get a lot further than most job postings would have you think. Don't let the "no phone calls" phrase scare you. It could actually work in your favor and scare most others away who'd rather run the mission control of resume blasting from their computer and that's it. Some chief pilots may hate me for recommending that but it's worked every time for me and got me the job or interview. I've also had the luxury of skipping all that ramp business as well. I actually turned down my first ramp job offer to go fly a 172 instead and a few years later returned to that company to fly in their 705 department. Saved me 2+ years of freezing my a $$ off chucking bags up north! But to each their own..Not here to belittle those that choose that route (cause it does usually work out eventually) but rather give you hope it's possible to train as a pilot and then actually be a pilot.

Laner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Laner »

tsukubacpe wrote:haha Yes, I did read it and I will now set my goal to a flying job instead of a ramp job.
thank you

however, Bearskin is a company I would like to fly for. I'm assuming they wouldn't even look at my resume with 300TT
You assume correct. 1000TT with a good chunk of multi PIC will get you in there flying, maybe. 700TT might land you a dispatch job if there is one available.... and from there it is a lengthy wait.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Not to stray from the topic, but how is it at the Bear since EIC took over? They always had a good morale but seems a bit shakier these days just from casual conversation.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

tsukubacpe wrote:haha Yes, I did read it and I will now set my goal to a flying job instead of a ramp job.
thank you

Go find a job flying a 172, Baron, Navajo etc. Fly for a year then go to Bearskin. Or you could go there with 250 hours, and fly the desk for two years. And even then.. you'll be in over your head when you start on the Metro. Yes yes yes, I know many people have started in a Metro but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not having the chance to spend a year hand flying something smaller first.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

tipsails wrote:
thank you

Go find a job flying a 172, Baron, Navajo etc. Fly for a year then go to Bearskin. Or you could go there with 250 hours, and fly the desk for two years. And even then.. you'll be in over your head when you start on the Metro. Yes yes yes, I know many people have started in a Metro but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not having the chance to spend a year hand flying something smaller first.
Big +1. Flying a mixmaster in a high angle at 500' around a raging wildfire in poor vis, with political bigwigs on board for a photo op are the kinds of things that remind you why you want to go to work every day! The journey is far better than the "destination" if you make it so.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

DanWEC wrote: The journey is far better than the "destination" if you make it so.
It took me a while to learn this. I wish I learned it sooner.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The farther along I get in my career, the less pictures I take to show to the family. The flight levels look pretty damn boring through a camera lens. Early morning flight in a floatplane, the scenery can take your breath away.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

GS for spring are all filled. You guys will probably have to wait
For summer or Fall of 2016

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NAT2 »

goingnowherefast wrote:The farther along I get in my career, the less pictures I take to show to the family. The flight levels look pretty damn boring through a camera lens. Early morning flight in a floatplane, the scenery can take your breath away.
Read this out loud a to yourselves a few times and let it sink in.

I'm sitting at a destination job that would have impressed 18 year old me beyond belief, yet I miss the thrill of the hunt so very much. At least I had good people to look up to who told me to enjoy those days, because I sure did.

You bozos wake up and enjoy the ride.
The journey is far better than the "destination" if you make it so.

Return to “Employment Forum”