Absurd Requirement

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Absurd Requirement

Post by Vanguard »

Anyone see the RJ Captain ad in China?
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 59#p948859

"9.Non-Islamic religion (Preferably American or Canadian)"

So is this a thing now? Are we seriously going to let this be a requirement and posted? This is full blatant discrimination that I don't believe us Canadians stand for.

Comments? - Lets not be racist please.
---------- ADS -----------

squash junky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Absurd Requirement

Post by squash junky »

that should be a requirement in all non islamic nations for all jobs ;) :-D

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Vanguard wrote:Anyone see the RJ Captain ad in China?

So is this a thing now? Are we seriously going to let this be a requirement and posted? This is full blatant discrimination that I don't believe us Canadians stand for.

Comments? - Lets not be racist please.

How is this different from some other Canadian companies who "give preference to natives" ?

Same damn thing, frankly with what some of the Muslim population has been doing I can actually understand this over only hiring natives.

Racism is racism

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flypilot »

squash junky wrote:that should be a requirement in all non islamic nations for all jobs ;) :-D

agree!

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Well your ignorance shows clearly....

The situation with the Natives is completely different. The fact that you don't see a difference actually surprises me.

Islam/Muslims don't really have anything to do with what's been going on lately...If you do think so; please do some research people. Unawareness is blindness. I know many Muslims here in Canada that are great people and are doing greater things. Don't have to paint them all with the same brush.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Judging folks based on skin pigment, heritage, breeding, religion, it's all the same ignorant chit. Just because your government and media says one is good and the other is bad doesn't change a clear facts that it's the exact same thing.

Personally I condemn it all, I will judge a man, but I judge them based on their character, actions and skills, don't much care who they warship, what color they are or much of anything else.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Judging folks based on skin pigment, heritage, breeding, religion, it's all the same ignorant chit. Just because your government and media says one is good and the other is bad doesn't change a clear facts that it's the exact same thing.

Personally I condemn it all, I will judge a man, but I judge them based on their character, actions and skills, don't much care who they warship, what color they are or much of anything else.
No it isn't. Religion is a choice which you can change. Heritage / skin pigment / race / gender is something you can't change.

Now the non islamic region makes it a bit weirder and morally questionable.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
squash junky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squash junky »

It's about being ignorant and sticking your head in the sand.
We are politically correct-strike 1
we give to who screams the loudest- strike 2
we forgive and forget- strike 3
I lived in Europe for 25 years. Look at the UK, northern countries, and the rest. Not even talking about the terrorism.
And those who entered years ago were also viewed as good people.
I'll be ok in my life time, but I welcome a company that states it straight on. :)
So no judgement on skin or whatever.....but yes to history repeating itself. Naive.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Let's be clear Islam is a religion not a race. This ad is not racist, discriminatory to be sure, but not racist. It also discriminates against people aged over 50.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

I would love to host peoples from all over the earth and to help BUT on MY CANADIAN beliefs and values :D
Just to keep on topic, Affirmative action is Patently unfair and wrong on all levels. I would hire a Pilot/ AME based upon their ability, experience, social skills etc. I would not hire a high risk/ high cost employee because the government thinks i am discriminating

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

crazyaviator wrote:BUT on MY CANADIAN beliefs and values
And what are those ? Honest question!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I am going to chime in on this one, as I have a bit of an understanding of why.

There have been several religious issues that have caused airlines grief. One of the latest was a flight attendent who decided one day that her religion did not allow her to serve alcohol. She didnt look for another job. Just took the airline to court when they fired her for sitting on her fat ass while the other flight attendents did the work.

Less publically, there have been some huge scheduling issues. Again, after taking the job as flight crew or cabin crew, there is suddenly a demand regarding conflicting schedules with prayer times...when your religion requires you to pray five times a day, scheduling can be a problem...but no one ever seemed bothered by it when applying for a job. Only afterwards.

Lastly, there is the whole security issue. That may be fair or not, but it is a hassle for the sirlines

It is not racist or discrimatory to simply say who needs the hassle when there are other qualified people out there who , after accepting the job, wont demand special accommodations that put extra work on the other employees.

I really have no idea why they post these in job ads. They could simply just screen the candidates, so I assume it is eithervbecause they might be trying to make a point, or if someone lies, and then suddenly "converts" and wont serve alcohol, fly on any flight that arrives after daybreak, etc, the airline has legal grounds to terminate them based on false information...just a guess

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Heisenberg666
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heisenberg666 »

Looks like the ad has been edited.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Vanguard wrote:Anyone see the RJ Captain ad in China?

It just gives you an idea of how you are going to be treated over there, no matter your belief or your origin.

Return to “Employment Forum”