>>>>>>

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Abutler2
Rank 0
Rank 0

>>>>>>

Post by Abutler2 »

>>>>>>
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Abutler2 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Low time pilot looking for employment

Post by awitzke »

Good luck, might help as well posting this in the hire me section under the employment subforum.

Secondly, go on a road trip. You won't find a job emailing employers. If you show up in person your chance of getting a job increases 10 fold. Manitoba, NWOntario, Sask, Yukon and NWT are you best bets for finding an entry level flying job.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I'd be pissed to see my personnal info broadcast to the world if I was your reference...

Going for the deck at corner
C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

+1 for the road trip. That's how I got my foot in the door. Gives the operator a chance to read you in person. Sometimes all it takes is to shoot the shit over a cold one, company and circumstance permitting. The road trip also gives you a chance to see the operation on the ground and meet the other guys/gals who are there and chat with them. Keep in mind that most rookie flying gigs are probably only close to 25% actual flying if that. Brush up on some basic handy know-how. Depending on what route you choose know how to operate a chainsaw, do some basic outboard motor servicing (if going the bush route).

Best of luck. You'll get something eventually

DPB

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Get your instructor rating if you love teaching and stay south or go for the road trip up north. I made the mistake of applying to jobs without the road trip and didn't get very many responses.

TheNorthman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheNorthman »

Hey Andrew,

Your resume looks good, easy to read the relevant bits etc.

I'm not sure I'd say you have the skills required to contribute 'vastly' in your cover letter though. You may well have, but it might seem a bit over confident. Just an opinion.

Good luck with the job hunt :smt023

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

It's always a good idea to use a universal format for your documents too.
Perhaps post your resume as a .pdf
Just a thought! :rolleyes:
CS

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

I find it odd if you can "vastly contribute" to aviation why being a graduate of gander flight training, Evas wouldn't offer you a dispatch job then move in to 1900 like many do there. Maybe you are way too cocky and they don't want to work with people like yourself, wanting a flying job right off the bat says a lot. 2 of your references are at companys where guys/gals go from dispatch to flight line.
Something seems fishy to me !!

esp803

Post by esp803 »

NickyNick,

I don't think you are in any position to talk down to someone about their resume, even with your 4000hrs of mostly multi PIC time. Offer STILL stands for free beer when you're willing to meet up.

E

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

NickyNick wrote:I find it odd if you can "vastly contribute" to aviation why being a graduate of gander flight training, Evas wouldn't offer you a dispatch job then move in to 1900 like many do there. Maybe you are way too cocky and they don't want to work with people like yourself, wanting a flying job right off the bat says a lot. 2 of your references are at companys where guys/gals go from dispatch to flight line.
Something seems fishy to me !!
Nicky Nick, are you in charge of hiring at Evas now? Congrats on your new position!

Why is it cocky for a pilot to want a flying job? I applied for flying jobs when I became a pilot. I didn't go to school to drive a forklift, had I done so, there are much better forklift jobs outside of aviation.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
esp803

Post by esp803 »

RNP,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, grant NickyNick an interview.

E

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

NickyNick wrote: Something seems fishy to me !!
You bet! You!

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

esp803 wrote:RNP,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, grant NickyNick an interview.

E
If my memory serves me correctly, these guys will pay for transport and accommodation to the interview, for the successfull applicant! I've tried a few times but only get the occasional free beer... :rolleyes:

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

I remember when I did a road trip up in Central and Northern Ontario and walked into a bush operator at Elliott Lake and just talked to the owner of the place and he hired me on the spot to fly a 185 alongside the chief pilot. He told me that I was the only one to walk in with a resume and he never hired anyone that he did not see in person, so go for the road trip.

Abutler2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: >>>>>>

Post by Abutler2 »

!

Last edited by Abutler2 on Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

:lol: Nothing like resurrecting a post from 6 years ago and waving your career progression in the face of a bunch of internet strangers to prove you are completely level headed.
I'm happy you made it there bud but your post comes off as kind of braggy when many hardworking pilots are out in the street. Sometimes speech is silver but silence is golden.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Is this a new trend? Telling everyone how superior you are in your great career, while most people try to figure out how to make ends meet. One minute, the guy is trying to land his first job, the next he is telling people how he "wouldn't want to have them as co-workers", beneath him in the pecking order, of course.

Return to “Employment Forum”