Another CMA Thread

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fpsbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Another CMA Thread

Post by fpsbc »

Hi Guys,

Did some searching around for some information on the forums in regards to the low-time pilot program at CMA, and by all means their was a ton of it. Nothing too relevant though especially with the new shift in the industry. Thought someone could shed some more recent light at the current situation. I'm the same old story about to grad with aprox. 200 hrs, except I don't have the Multi, hope that doesn't change anything considering I won't be flying a plane there any time soon (If I get on). Only interesting advantage is I have a hopeful reference within the company. Anyone with internal information would be preferred but opinions are more than acceptable. Thanks for listening.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Another CMA Thread

Post by xsbank »

Get your multi IFR.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Mercator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mercator »

xsbank wrote:Get your multi IFR.
+1

Sierra Nevada
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sierra Nevada »

I worked there about a year ago. The minimum requirements for a low-timer were a multi-IFR, IATRA, and 250hrs TT.

I'd say there's many much better places to go for a low-timer than Alberta at the moment.

fpsbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fpsbc »

Thanks for the response. I've read the requirements. Anyone else?

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Then read the requirements again. No sense "getting on" with them unless you have a multi ifr. Unless you hope to hone your baggage loading skillz indefinitely.

fpsbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fpsbc »

A multi I can get in two weeks after school and less than an instructor rating. Could someone please shed some relevant info on the company.

Ex99guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ex99guy »

Good place to . bags or sell charters for 3 years while waiting for your number to be called on the low time list. Expect to be passed to be passed by a few off the street hires in that time. It'll be even longer if you go there without your multi. The clock doesn't start ticking until you've met ALL the requirements.

fpsbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fpsbc »

Sierra Nevada wrote:I worked there about a year ago. The minimum requirements for a low-timer were a multi-IFR, IATRA, and 250hrs TT.

I'd say there's many much better places to go for a low-timer than Alberta at the moment.
Thanks for the response. I'm assuming you were based at Calgary? If you don't mind me asking, did you end up leaving or are you still waiting your turn.

Laner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Laner »

fpsbc wrote:
Sierra Nevada wrote:I worked there about a year ago. The minimum requirements for a low-timer were a multi-IFR, IATRA, and 250hrs TT.

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming you were based at Calgary? If you don't mind me asking, did you end up leaving or are you still waiting your turn.
If you go on their website it tells you exactly what you need and exactly where they would base you....... dispatching in Smithers (for an eternity likely). Companies will not look at you without all the requirements. If you don't have an insider reference or don't go up there in person it makes it that much harder too. I had applied numerous times for their "Tier 2 program" in the past and never heard a word.

As the previous poster said, there are much better operators in AB to choose from if flying is your ultimate goal.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

An old instructor from my school did his FI rating, taught for a year and a bit and went to CMA faster than he would have if he went the ground way.

Find a small time flying job work a year or two then go apply to CMA. 1000 hours will get you hired there and PasCo if you're lucky these days.

Sierra Nevada
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sierra Nevada »

fpsbc wrote:

I was never on the list, but last I heard they were trying to hire only dispatchers for it, so you'd have to live in Smithers. You will not get a job there without meeting their requirements. If they're even hiring, it'd likely be a long wait until the flight line, especially with the economy as it is.

As I said before, there are much better options out there.

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

Sierra Nevada wrote:
fpsbc wrote:

I was never on the list, but last I heard they were trying to hire only dispatchers for it, so you'd have to live in Smithers. You will not get a job there without meeting their requirements. If they're even hiring, it'd likely be a long wait until the flight line, especially with the economy as it is.

As I said before, there are much better options out there.
DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
IWANTTOFLYYIN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IWANTTOFLYYIN »

+1 ^

The whole "Pilot in wait" programs are ruthless. You get no where fast. Don't be another # on that list. Trust me. Go somewhere else where you get in a plane right away etc. Oh, and get your MULTI IFR

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

I recently talked to a base manager at a reputable 704/705 carrier and he said that they hated doing the pilot-in-waiting thing because they found it disrupted line operations. They found pilots just want to be pilots, and that it worked better to have people from other walks of life to come in and fuel planes, work the ramp, toss bags, work the front desk etc.

PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

iflyroads wrote:I recently talked to a base manager at a reputable 704/705 carrier and he said that they hated doing the pilot-in-waiting thing because they found it disrupted line operations. They found pilots just want to be pilots, and that it worked better to have people from other walks of life to come in and fuel planes, work the ramp, toss bags, work the front desk etc.
The only complaint that I've heard from management in my company is when pilots get put on dispatch, get good, and then go flying. That does disrupt operations if you don't prepare for it. For pilots that do the ramp route, it's generally a pretty smooth transition for everyone, since... well, ramp work isn't that difficult to train someone on. As far as "pilots being pilots", it's one of those things where, at least here, if you're "being a pilot" and not actually doing your job, you probably don't get to keep that job very long.

And, for the record, I'm personally 100% in favour of less "ramp to fly" (why would you want to put someone in the cockpit who has been tossing bags for months or years, and doesn't have recent experience in a plane?!), I also think that, when properly managed - as a way to screen potential applicants, rather than as a cheap labour - it can be beneficial to everybody. Then again, YMMV

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME
Why? Will they bend you over at the WAIST?

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

Lol I typed it in my phone. Didn't read the swipe. Very good. :prayer: :oops:

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

So what is CMA like for guys with a couple thousand hours who get hired as an FO hoping for a somewhat quick upgrade? Clearly the pay sucks as it looks like it's even less than Georgian and EVAS but what is it like to work there?

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

Quick upgrade to what? Keep in mind most Captains at CMA go right seat on the Q at Encore or Jazz... and I think that's the majority of the movement there right now.

Not gonna get into the value of PIC of ME, but if you want to go the airline route.. MEPIC is marginal these days.

Return to “Employment Forum”