Apprentice Pilot

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Apprentice Pilot

Post by longjon »

This may be the first time I've saw the word apprentice used for the hiring of a junior pilot. Not appropriate in my mind as its not an apprenticeship.
---------- ADS -----------

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Apprentice Pilot

Post by NickyNick »

Referring to the Wasaya posting I assume ?

Yeah very not appropriate, read the job description and it's just ramp duties, the job posting should read hiring ramp attendant. During apprenticeships for other trades and occupations you actually do work such as carpentry, plumbing, millwright, maint on aircraft etc. Flying the plane is missing in their job posting.

MagicMilkshake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MagicMilkshake »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What is an apprentice pilot? I think I'm offended...

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

It obviously means you'll be paid at an apprentice level. The job ad doesn't mention anything regarding future flying or even a license for the requirements. Anyone applying would be keen to ask questions and get things in writing IMO

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

The job ad doesn't mention anything regarding future flying or even a license for the requirements
Here is the carrot on the stick
 Possess a minimum of commercial pilot’s license with a group 1 instrument rating
The ad outlines 427 requirements for a ramp rat but 0 information on what they will provide an employee SAD !

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

maybe it should read apprentice ramp agent

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

Hah! Glad I'm not the only one who found this hilarious.

Just like a receptionist at a dentist's office is an 'apprentice dentist' right?
Or a janitor is an 'apprentice plumber?'
or maybe even that guy at the Walmart photo lab, that's where all 'apprentice photographers' go to find work right?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Well, I've never heard of a "Plumber-in-Waiting", so at least it's better than that!

Mercator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mercator »

Depressing!

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I just love how every bleeping job ad is a awesome career opportunity.

WTF!!!

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

This was posted by the HR dept of a rather large company. Is this any indication of the type of HR department his company has?

IWANTTOFLYYIN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IWANTTOFLYYIN »

What a joke :? :lol:

CDN106
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CDN106 »

My god these people are delusional. WTF is an "apprentice pilot". I really hope nobody seriously applies...

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I fail to see the confusion here. They chose to hire low-time pilots for a ground position and low-time pilots apply for it. Somewhere in that transaction there will be some airline operations experience rubbing off on the wannabes and at the same time the airline gets to see what they're like before trusting them with the control of an airplane that has people on board.

What, you thought 203TT and a college diploma should get each and every pilot a turbine IFR job in wx to minimums half the time with innocent passengers on board?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What, you thought 203TT and a college diploma should get each and every pilot a turbine IFR job in wx to minimums half the time with innocent passengers on board?
Well not as PIC, however flying IFR to minimums in the right hand seat as a F.O. is about the easiest kind of flying one can do.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think flying IFR is difficult.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Cat Driver wrote:
Well not as PIC, however flying IFR to minimums in the right hand seat as a F.O. is about the easiest kind of flying one can do.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think flying IFR is difficult.
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Apprentice pilot sounds to me like an FO on a single pilot aircraft. Caravans, Navajos, King Airs and the such.

A position that's not required, but allows the company to take a pilot fresh out of school to PIC standards. They learn the ropes of commercial flying under the direction of a more experienced pilot.

An apprentice fresh out of trade school works under the direction of a more experienced carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Overworked, underpaid and the company culture at Wasaya is sub-par at best. Not even sure how they're still in business. I'm sure they wouldn't be if they weren't aboriginally owned. Job postings like this only adds to my distaste for this organization.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Star'Fox
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Star'Fox »

When Wasaya decided to join ALPA they needed to include the ramp working pilots in their initial contract (at that time they would work around 60hrs a week, of which maybe 10-25 was flying). When the ALPA reps discovered that this group was referred to as "Wannabees" they were appalled. Wasaya then implemented a name change to "Apprentice Pilot" for that first contract.

Air Do Well
Av8r7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Av8r7 »

Northwright still calls their pilot rampies wannabes...along with a slew of other things we could gossip all day about. But the apprentice pilot is essentially a pcc'd rampie. Imo it's just a way to bond people to the ramp and dangle a few hours in front of them for a bit...can be a nasty industry this one.

Return to “Employment Forum”