Air Lab 1900 FO Posting

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Air Lab 1900 FO Posting

Post by JBI »

This is not a post to slag Air Labrador. From what I know of the operation, they seem like a pretty good operator. But are they really getting applications for Beech 1900 FOs that not only have 1500 TT, but also have 500 Hours Multi and 250 Hours Turbine to go be based in Goose Bay?

I understand and applaud the fact that not everyone wants to live in the major centres or fly the big Iron, but wouldn't someone with that kind of time in this hiring environment (especially with 500 hours multi and 250 turbine) be a pretty decent candidate for Jazz, Encore or Georgian. Or is this a situation of post for your ideal candidate expecting that you're probably not going to get it, but see who applies?

Again, this isn't to say anything bad about Air Lab, but it doesn't totally fit in with my understanding of the employment market at the moment. Am I looking at things with rose tinted glasses, or is Air Lab wishing for a little much?
---------- ADS -----------

FlyingMonkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Lab 1900 FO Posting

Post by FlyingMonkey »

I don't know why their requirements are shocking to you. If you look around the country 1500 tt is pretty standard for a 1900 FO position. CMA, GGN, EVAS all have the same requirements and from what I hear they aren't having problems filling the right seat.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

It's not the 1500 TT that surprises me, it's the 500 multi AND 250 turbine.

I don't have first hand knowledge of all the 1900 operators out there, but most of the new hires that I know of don't have 500 multi AND 250 turbine. Most new hires are either instructors (likely with some multi instruction) or Navajo drivers. Though there are definitely some guys/girls who have time on a smaller turbine twin (King Air, Conquest etc.)

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

JBI wrote:It's not the 1500 TT that surprises me, it's the 500 multi AND 250 turbine.

I don't have first hand knowledge of all the 1900 operators out there, but most of the new hires that I know of don't have 500 multi AND 250 turbine. Most new hires are either instructors (likely with some multi instruction) or Navajo drivers. Though there are definitely some guys/girls who have time on a smaller turbine twin (King Air, Conquest etc.)
I think those have been the requirements at most of those outfits for quite some time. They were about 4-5 years ago when I was hunting for those jobs. 1500TT with 500 multi won't get you a job at Jazz or Encore unless that 500 multi is on a 705 machine. The vast majority of new hires coming through the program are still in the 2000-3000hr range with some Multi Turbine PIC

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

What the F*** are you talking about PositiveRate27. Obviously you have been living on another planet, under a rock or exiled in where ever zone you live in. Unless I misunderstood what you just wrote: 1500 will not get you into Jazz, GGN? Mmmm, you might have to reconsider that. I have proof that 1100, 1400, 1500, 1000 hour guys..some with NO MULTI have recently gotten into the AC Express brands. A few of these had just Navajo time.

Two factors are affecting this, Massive retirements, Massive aircraft acquisitions by various companies and AC Express PMA lists etc. There is a hiring window that will be open for the next 5 years.

These guys have been posting every 4 months. And this trend will continue until major hiring stops. They will not be able to get some 1500 hour guys, with 500 multi and 250 turbine for long. I see this constant trend at my current company. I'm ready to bet a good 1000$ that this posting or similar will show up again in the Fall and winter, when the real music starts to play again.

Remember that most movements happen on shoulder seasons; Spring and Fall Winter. Most companies post 1500 hours, but are always open to hire with much less. As many DFO's told me in the recent past; Hiring has shifted more on personality than experience.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:What the F*** are you talking about PositiveRate27. Obviously you have been living on another planet, under a rock or exiled in where ever zone you live in. Unless I misunderstood what you just wrote: 1500 will not get you into Jazz, GGN? Mmmm, you might have to reconsider that. I have proof that 1100, 1400, 1500, 1000 hour guys..some with NO MULTI have recently gotten into the AC Express brands. A few of these had just Navajo time.

Two factors are affecting this, Massive retirements, Massive aircraft acquisitions by various companies and AC Express PMA lists etc. There is a hiring window that will be open for the next 5 years.

These guys have been posting every 4 months. And this trend will continue until major hiring stops. They will not be able to get some 1500 hour guys, with 500 multi and 250 turbine for long. I see this constant trend at my current company. I'm ready to bet a good 1000$ that this posting or similar will show up again in the Fall and winter, when the real music starts to play again.

Remember that most movements happen on shoulder seasons; Spring and Fall Winter. Most companies post 1500 hours, but are always open to hire with much less. As many DFO's told me in the recent past; Hiring has shifted more on personality than experience.

Easy there big fella. Perhaps a little less sodium and a little less Redbull in the diet.

I said nothing of GGN. I am in an express carrier and I'm just sharing what I have personally witnessed. Yes, there have been people hired in the sub 2000hr range. With literally hundreds being hired at the 705 regional level you will see some people with relatively lower time getting picked up. Having 1500TT is not a slam dunk for a job at Jazz or Encore.

Take what I've witnessed for what it is, just some random blabbing away on the internet

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I got on at Jazz with 1800 and only 100 or so multi hours. Now, most my multi time was on a 727, but it still isn't much time.

It is certainly a good time for low time pilots like myself.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Things are very different than 4 or 5 years ago. Though I'm going to leave out any expletives :D

I'm quite familiar with a few of the west coast 1900 operators. After a bit of asking, it seems that most of the new hires are between 1000 - 1500 hours coming from either an instructing background (with maybe a few hundred hours multi at most) or Navajo operators. The folks that I know that have gone to Jazz recently have more than 1500 TT but no 705 time and I am also familiar with a few people coming from a Navajo to Jazz (pretty reliable information, but not first hand knowledge, so take it for what it's worth).

I guess my thought with this post is that Goose Bay is not exactly a glamorous spot where outsiders flock to. I'd think with a less desirable location and no PML agreement, they'd need to have lower application minimums. I can't really see too many folks with that type of time in this pilot hiring market thinking that a move to Goose Bay is the route they'd want to take unless they were out of work at the moment and needed a pay cheque asap.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Sorry for the tonality there PositiveRate27! I believe now is the time where minimums posted go out the window and people are hired on a profile basis. I spoke to a CP a few months back and he revealed that the minimums posted for his company were definitely not definitive and they had hired with less than half that number. To give a good example, I know a friend that just interviewed for a Jet position with ATPL's written and less than 1500 hours. We can easily train a guy, but we cannot change his attitude or personality. It all comes to this.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

They could ask 10 000 hours and 5000 hours jet time for this job: it's their right!

It's a good gig, 6 months off per year, you'll never see this at AC feeders... Especially for somebody who don't want to live in a metropolis and need to commute! With a regional you end up 2-3 days home per month for a few years...

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:Sorry for the tonality there PositiveRate27! I believe now is the time where minimums posted go out the window and people are hired on a profile basis. I spoke to a CP a few months back and he revealed that the minimums posted for his company were definitely not definitive and they had hired with less than half that number. To give a good example, I know a friend that just interviewed for a Jet position with ATPL's written and less than 1500 hours. We can easily train a guy, but we cannot change his attitude or personality. It all comes to this.
That's well said, and I very much agree. I think most companies these days are willing to conceded some posted hiring requirements to hire the "right fit" personality wise.

Cheers
PR

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

garfield wrote:They could ask 10 000 hours and 5000 hours jet time for this job: it's their right!

It's a good gig, 6 months off per year, you'll never see this at AC feeders... Especially for somebody who don't want to live in a metropolis and need to commute! With a regional you end up 2-3 days home per month for a few years...
They've since changed the posting to the two week on and two week off - that does change the dynamics of things - the previous posting was full-time based in Goose Bay. I definitely agree that an employer can ask for whatever requirements that they like. I don't fault them one bit and don't have anything negative to say about Air Lab. I was just surprised at the requirements requested and based in the current pilot hiring market place, they may have difficulty obtaining qualified individuals.

V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V2plus10 »

JBI wrote:
garfield wrote:They could ask 10 000 hours and 5000 hours jet time for this job: it's their right!

They've since changed the posting to the two week on and two week off - that does change the dynamics of things - the previous posting was full-time based in Goose Bay. I definitely agree that an employer can ask for whatever requirements that they like. I don't fault them one bit and don't have anything negative to say about Air Lab. I was just surprised at the requirements requested and based in the current pilot hiring market place, they may have difficulty obtaining qualified individuals.
Well seeing as how it's a different base and they have more than one 1900D it changes nothing. It's a completely separate opening.

Shibby
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shibby »

I'd have to disagree working for a regional out of the biggest ( canadian ) metropolis, I'm home at least 2 weeks of the month. As are many of my colleagues with various other feeders. There are ways to build your schedule to your benefit.

Back to Air lab, Had a coworker leave our company up north for this gig over a year ago. Had less than the 1500 TT but all of their time was Multi with greater than 250 turbine. So I don't see it as far fetched. It moved them up onto a machine > 12 500lbs for 704 experience and with the free commute to an east coast city ( their home ) it was perfect. I've heard good things about the outfit. To my understanding not much attrition on the Captain level... something about the east coast keeps 'em around. That's usually my sign that things are good there if you aren't chasing bigger iron. ( how long till we say composites? )

Return to “Employment Forum”