38 years old and never kissed a girl (Trajically Hip..;)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Flyyourdreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

38 years old and never kissed a girl (Trajically Hip..;)

Post by Flyyourdreams »

is 40 years old to late to start a career as a pilot in Canada? I just got my instructor's license.

I do want to make it as a captain either for an airline (Westjet, Transat, Canjet, etc)

or

Captain on a corporate jet

Which option would I have a better chance?

Your thoughts please.

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 38 years old and never kissed a girl (Trajically Hip..;)

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Never too late to join aviation. I know a person who joined at 45 years old. You will be in the older pack, but it does not disqualify you for employment.

The only issue that can present itself in joining aviation at a late age, is pay versus lifestyle. Although I ignore your professional background prior to this, Canada sucks for entry level jobs.

This means you have to have to suffer for a few years before starting to make money. This means up and downs financially by being an Instructor: Weather good = you fly alot and make money / Weather bad + Winter = You only do ground courses and you have to live off your summer/good weather earnings.

If you don't go the Instructor way, then shitty ramp /cleaning/ slave jobs for a year around the airplane it is. And this comes with a price: 18 to 15$ bucks an hour. This can be really hard if your in the older batch (38 years and plus), especially if you have family, kids and mortgage.

If you get lucky to get a flying job right after flight school or after instructing for 2 years at up and down salaries, then you will start getting paid between 25 000 to 34 000. Then again, these salaries might be difficult for a person that has to take care of family and other expenses in life.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Check your PM

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I started at forty. The majors are probably not in the picture. It is a shitty ride up for any age, especially yours. You will need a lot of luck and good contacts to make a corporate gig, Being single and having a lot of spare cash in the bank also helps. Good luck, you're gonna need it

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy

Return to “Employment Forum”