Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

duro195
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Living In Thompson,Manitoba(pilot)??

Post by duro195 »

Don't worry about it! I lived there for a bit less than a year and my friends and I all made it through. You'll meet plenty of young like-minded guys/girls like you working their way up to the flightline and you'll enjoy it. Go for it! Don't get me wrong, it's not the most peaceful place, but there's no threat to your personal safety if you go there to work.
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

kanez619 wrote:hey guys,so i got a job opportunity in Thompson in a ground position leading hopefully to a flight position,
with expectancy that it ll take around 4 years living in Thompson. i heard so many bad things about Thompson(Eg: crimes)
and would love if someone who lived there or knows someone who did give me an insight and honest tips,thank you as always
I have to ask, is this 4 years on the ground to flight line? Or 4 years of living in YTH, including flight line.

If it is 4 years to flight line, I am going to recommend you find yourself a new position as quick as possible.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

You will hear negative comments about every northern or remote community that pilots end up living at.

Interestingly enough, the majority of those commenting will have never lived in, or possibly even visited these places.

You will be fine.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

But not 4 years!
Take another look at what they are offering.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It has its social issues but if you go in with the attitude it's going to be awful you are going to hate living there. If you go in with a good attitude and enjoy the outdoors you will most likely really enjoy your time up there.

It has Safeway, Walmart and Canadian Tire so you can get most things you need. Don't buy a house there since it is still a mining town and you can lose your shirt if you do.

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

kanez619 wrote:hey guys,so i got a job opportunity in Thompson in a ground position leading hopefully to a flight position,
with expectancy that it ll take around 4 years living in Thompson. i heard so many bad things about Thompson(Eg: crimes)
and would love if someone who lived there or knows someone who did give me an insight and honest tips,thank you as always

I lived there for a couple of years while I flew the B200 for Missinippi. I had a great time up there. Its going to be a big change from the city. Make friends with as many people as you can. Get your gun license (its 80 bucks and the range is awesome) and take advantage of the many great things in the area, the time will go by quickly.

Get an apartment in the Wolf building or rent a room/apartment in Westwood. Eastwood will be cheaper, but it has more issues than other parts of Thompson.

Hold onto your compassion and patience. Some of the things you will see and experience up there will try to take them from you, you don't have to let that happen.

Have fun

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
foxtrotlimayankee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by foxtrotlimayankee »

There's nothing wrong with Thompson, I lived there and enjoyed it much more than living in Winnipeg. It's much better than many other northern towns out there. As was mentioned, any store you could ever need is there, lots of places to eat. I assume you're going to work for Perimeter, they have tons of people up there so you'll meet lots of other pilots / rampies. As long as you're not some arrogant cityit coming straight from the GTA and never been north of Barrie you'll be fine up there. Get into hunting, fishing, shooting, hiking, snowmobiling or I suppose there is always drinking. It's a safe town as long as you're not stumbling by yourself at 1AM outside the TI...

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Thompson is what you make of it. Some folks love it, some don't. I met some awesome people there and have great stories, but it definitely wasn't for me. Hunting, fishing, snowmobiling weren't really my things (though I envied those who enjoyed them) - I guess that made me a Cityit (though I had been north of Barrie before I moved up). I didn't think I was arrogant, but I do think if you're from the city, Thompsonites will eye you with suspicion.

There's another post here with some good information http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 4&t=104483

There are definitely many social issues in both the First Nation and non-First Nation population that will be a change. It was troubling to see, but opened up my eyes as a 21 year old!

Last edited by JBI on Wed May 18, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What's that waterfall south of town called? Easily one of the most beautiful natural waterfalls I've ever seen. And the pike fishing right below it can be unreal.

One drive I saw a Wolf, and later a HUGE Owl right in the middle of the road. Looked like a 3' tall totem pole with eyes. Its wingspan was wider than my car when it took off. I also saw the only Wolverine I've ever seen in my life and I'll thank god for that! What a mean looking bastard.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Pisew falls

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Exactly, if you live in Thompson you need to take advantage of what you have around you. 20 minutes south of town is Paint Lake provincial park, it is beautiful and fairly well run with free firewood when your camping there during the summer. The town of Thompson isn't very nice it's the ability to be at a beautiful provincial park with good camping and fishing close by and the people that make it a good place to live.

Return to “Employment Forum”