500hrs milestone

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flapflap
Rank 0
Rank 0

500hrs milestone

Post by flapflap »

Hi there!

I now have 500 hours TT in my logbook. I currently work as FI but I'm still waiting and seeking for that first 703/704 FO job (PC12, Navajo, anything would be fine!)

I've noticed that some operators up north set their minimums as low as 500 hrs for a king air position. ( http://www.kivalliqair.com/flightoperat ... tions.html )

Is this number realistic for someone with 500hrs TT but without experience in the north or any 703/704 experience, or even worse, without any contact in the company? I'm considering a (very) long road trip by the end of the summer when students start to get afraid of the winter and stop flying :roll: but don't want to go back home empty ended.

Thanks!
Flapflap
---------- ADS -----------

JoeShmoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 500hrs milestone

Post by JoeShmoe »

Ive now met three pilots that quit their jobs, one with 500 hrs and the other two with 1000-1200 hours, with the belief that one of these navajo jobs/king air FO jobs would be super easy to get. All three had a very hard time, two ended up taking jobs as dispatchers in order to get in line for a king air FO job. The other was unemployed for about 5 months before getting a navajo job.

Keep in mind most companies try to hire copilots that will be a quick (less then a year) upgrade to captain, and only if they cant find that will they actually hire a 500 hr guy. Id say apply to as many jobs as you can, just dont quit your current job till you get something!

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I agree with Joe.

Better to be looking for a job while you currently still have one. Worst case your still getting experience and have a pay check. You can still do road trips and work towards building MPIC hopefully at your school.

Best of luck!

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

The road trip still does work. Both myself and a friend of mine each did road trips to northern operators in different provinces at different times and were both hired. This is compared to the ~38 emails I sent throughout the country with a personalized cover letter and resume.

Never hurts to go shake a hand!

Return to “Employment Forum”