200 Hrs CPL getting hired at 703

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

200 Hrs CPL getting hired at 703

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Hello everyone,

Quick question regarding the situation of 703 operators in Canada. I'm hearing many of them are starting to hire fresh CPLs with only 200 hours (and some multi time) in the box as they are unable to get more experienced pilot for their right seats. Are you seeing the same thing?

For many years, instruction was the most common route to get to an airline (if the airline was the ultimate goal). I see more and more people deciding not to pursue the instructor route and go directly fly for companies.

I'm asking this because I'm about to finish my CPL in a few months and still trying to figure out what will be my next steps. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a teaching assistant at the university and I love teaching and helping, but I'm not targeting that kind of job in the industry. My goal is to get to the major airlines in Canada. If destiny brings me to instruction, I'll be as dedicated as I can to help develop the students I will be assigned.

Projected profile when I will finish:
TT: 200 hrs
PIC: 130 hrs
Multi: 40 hrs
Night: 75 hrs

Thanks for you insights!
---------- ADS -----------

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: 200 Hrs CPL getting hired at 703

Post by cdnpilot77 »

MarkyMark90 wrote:
Projected profile when I will finish:
TT: 200 hrs
PIC: 130 hrs
Multi: 40 hrs
Night: 75 hrs
So essentially the exact same as every other CPL-MIFR college graduate. What do you have that will set yourself apart from all the others? That in itself (unless you know people) will decide your "destiny".

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

If you want any sort of a chance at finding a flying job right away it will require sacrifices. Mostly, packing your car and leaving the city. Don't stop driving until you find a job... and be prepared that it may be a few years before you get back home.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

Black_Tusk wrote:If you want any sort of a chance at finding a flying job right away it will require sacrifices. Mostly, packing your car and leaving the city. Don't stop driving until you find a job... and be prepared that it may be a few years before you get back home.
Starting as a Rampy most likely?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

skybluetrek wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:If you want any sort of a chance at finding a flying job right away it will require sacrifices. Mostly, packing your car and leaving the city. Don't stop driving until you find a job... and be prepared that it may be a few years before you get back home.
Starting as a Rampy most likely?
Tons of places hurting for drivers right now. That's the beauty of the road trip, you driver across Canada til you find a flying job. If the operator offers you a job on the ramp/dock you say, "thanks but no thanks," and keep on driving.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I lived in my car for 2 months until I found a flying job. I actually found a few.... took the best one.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

What's it like to start flying a turbo prop in the North with 200 hrs? Particularly when you're not from around.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

skybluetrek wrote:What's it like to start flying a turbo prop in the North with 200 hrs? Particularly when you're not from around.
A rude awakening, and and a hell'ov a good time! I had a blast in the north.

10 Years ago, I would say get driving and find a good dock job ... I think there should be no problem finding a flying gig right out of the gate. I don't think FO on a turbo prop is out of the question either.

Good luck!

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

Adam Oke wrote:
skybluetrek wrote:What's it like to start flying a turbo prop in the North with 200 hrs? Particularly when you're not from around.

10 Years ago, I would say get driving and find a good dock job ... I think there should be no problem finding a flying gig right out of the gate. I don't think FO on a turbo prop is out of the question either.

Good luck!
A rude awakening, that's what I thought as well. :goodman: FO on a turboprop is what I had in mind.
Thanks for the note.

a313
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by a313 »

Last edited by a313 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

skybluetrek wrote:
Adam Oke wrote:

Good luck!
A rude awakening, that's what I thought as well. :goodman: FO on a turboprop is what I had in mind.
Thanks for the note.
Don't limit it to turbo props, you can find good piston multi gigs out there too. You may have trouble finding right seat in a King Air without 500 hours since that seems to be a pretty standard medevac minimum. Also, I suggest not doing mede. I had a ton of fun flying Navajo charters all over NWO/MB.

RocksAndProps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RocksAndProps »

Looking for any advice for Western & Northern Canada. Same boat as above... Any ideas are welcome. Just about to graduate Uni.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

skybluetrek wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 pm FO on a turboprop is what I had in mind.
For the love of god, no. Look, I get it, right seat in a 200 or 350 or 1900 or Metro or whatever SEEMS like the more sensible route to your airline goal. The airplanes are equipped and flown and operated more similarly to airliners than the lowly single pilot light piston aircraft that would be your alternative. It is, however, an illusion that fools the short-sighted. I have flown/fly with so many young pilots who have fallen victim to this and are now stuck. Do not forget that ultimately you will need an ATPL to reach your goal, and a requirement to get your ATPL is PIC time. If you find yourself in the right seat of an aircraft that requires an ATPL to be a captain (which is a situation that is easier than ever for young pilots to find themselves in) and you do not have the requirements for that license, you will never go captain, and in turn, never get your ATPL in that job. Of course, this is not insurmountable, but you will find yourself in a position where you will either need to pay for those hours droning around in the circuit at the closest flying club, or leave that job for another that allows you to get that PIC time. This is just my opinion, so it’s worth what you paid for it, but you would be far better to find a PIC job right out of the gate if possible, even one on a lowly Cessna piston single, and stick with it for at least a year. Not only will you rapidly gain the critical time towards the higher license, but even more importantly, you will learn important lessons in making command decisions and gain invaluable experiences in the art of actually being able to fly an airplane in all seasons and conditions, at a level which simply cannot be had from the right seat. (Furthermore, in spite of the fact that many people will scoff at the idea of going to the remote locations where these jobs are often found, you might actually find it to be an enriching and rewarding time from a life experience perspective.) Then, when you find yourself ready to move on to the right seat of a 1900 or whatever, you will be a more complete, competent crew member with the qualifications to one day captain that aircraft and ultimately reach your airline goals.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

What shimmydampner said (except it's damper). Look for companies that fly piston singles and you can start getting paid to log PIC time next week. Even better if the company has a turbine or a twin to slide over on once you have some experience and have built some trust. Start there and you can be in the right seat of a Q400 before next Christmas.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

shimmydampner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 am
skybluetrek wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 pm FO on a turboprop is what I had in mind.
For the love of god, no. Look, I get it, right seat in a 200 or 350 or 1900 or Metro or whatever SEEMS like the more sensible route to your airline goal. The airplanes are equipped and flown and operated more similarly to airliners than the lowly single pilot light piston aircraft that would be your alternative. It is, however, an illusion that fools the short-sighted. I have flown/fly with so many young pilots who have fallen victim to this and are now stuck. Do not forget that ultimately you will need an ATPL to reach your goal, and a requirement to get your ATPL is PIC time. If you find yourself in the right seat of an aircraft that requires an ATPL to be a captain (which is a situation that is easier than ever for young pilots to find themselves in) and you do not have the requirements for that license, you will never go captain, and in turn, never get your ATPL in that job. Of course, this is not insurmountable, but you will find yourself in a position where you will either need to pay for those hours droning around in the circuit at the closest flying club, or leave that job for another that allows you to get that PIC time. This is just my opinion, so it’s worth what you paid for it, but you would be far better to find a PIC job right out of the gate if possible, even one on a lowly Cessna piston single, and stick with it for at least a year. Not only will you rapidly gain the critical time towards the higher license, but even more importantly, you will learn important lessons in making command decisions and gain invaluable experiences in the art of actually being able to fly an airplane in all seasons and conditions, at a level which simply cannot be had from the right seat. (Furthermore, in spite of the fact that many people will scoff at the idea of going to the remote locations where these jobs are often found, you might actually find it to be an enriching and rewarding time from a life experience perspective.) Then, when you find yourself ready to move on to the right seat of a 1900 or whatever, you will be a more complete, competent crew member with the qualifications to one day captain that aircraft and ultimately reach your airline goals.
lownslow wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:43 am What shimmydampner said (except it's damper). Look for companies that fly piston singles and you can start getting paid to log PIC time next week. Even better if the company has a turbine or a twin to slide over on once you have some experience and have built some trust. Start there and you can be in the right seat of a Q400 before next Christmas.
Well said guys, you're absolutely right. Thanks for the advice.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Take PIC on a single engine. Look for PIC on a tiny multi and 3 years after your cpl you'll be direct entry captain on the B1900.
Which will take about as long as if you were hired as a B1900 FO right away, but you'll learn much more.

Which makes you wonder who will be a "better/safer" B1900 captain: a DEC with all PIC experience but no B1900 time, or a B1900 FO who gets an upgrade after flying the B1900 exclusively?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

shimmydampner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 am

So if I want to build up another 200 hours or so so I can be almost ready to apply for the right seat job it's best to fly a single as much as possible on your coin and be close.to home .

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

digits_ wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am Take PIC on a single engine. Look for PIC on a tiny multi and 3 years after your cpl you'll be direct entry captain on the B1900.
Which will take about as long as if you were hired as a B1900 FO right away, but you'll learn much more.

Which makes you wonder who will be a "better/safer" B1900 captain: a DEC with all PIC experience but no B1900 time, or a B1900 FO who gets an upgrade after flying the B1900 exclusively?
[/quote

Do you think in 3 years time things will still be sweet for us low timers to get in? Will the shortage still be around?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There's lots of king air, PC12, caravan and Navajo jobs where you don't need an ATPL to be captain. The problem with single engine piston jobs is usually no night time. Just watch out for companies where a contract requirement is ATPL. You'll still be a right seat lifer. Nothing wrong with being an FO on a Navajo, or PC12, upgrading, finishing off your ATPL as captain. You'll be getting all the ATPL requirements as PIC. Then move on to a 1900 or even into 705.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

I'd be curious to know which companies hires newcomers with 200 hours on a right seat in a PC12/BE10/Navajo... The ones we see, they ask you to wait while doing ramp work (they advertise 6 months of ramp work, but many are sooo much lucky to be on the ramp for something like 2 years)

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!

Return to “Employment Forum”