Porter airlines ( hired less than 1000tt ? ?)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 3
Rank 3

Porter airlines ( hired less than 1000tt ? ?)

Post by 7507 »

Have they? Does anyone know if they hired anybody less than 1000 hours TT , curious because now they say they will look at you if you carry other significant industry experience.

Thanks again
---------- ADS -----------

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Porter airlines ( hired less than 1000tt ? ?)

Post by Boreas »

If that's what they have to do to not pay more, then that's what they'll do.

fozzi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fozzi »

Last I heard, the majority of new hires still have well over 1000 hours TT. They are interviewing pilots with 500+ hours TT IF they're in the Destination Porter mentor program. Once they pass the interview and the sim eval, a conditional offer is made for the next available course date after they reach 1000 hours TT. So in short, 1000 hour total time seems to be the bare minimum still and only for pilots who were selected to be in the Destination Porter program. Porter is big on personality, how well they think you'd fit in with the company culture, references, other experience, etc so I suppose they do make exceptions on a case by case basis. The general rule seems to be 1000+ hours and sim eval required for pilots with less than 1500 hours and/or limited two-crew IFR time.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

fozzi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 am Last I heard, the majority of new hires still have well over 1000 hours TT. They are interviewing pilots with 500+ hours TT IF they're in the Destination Porter mentor program. Once they pass the interview and the sim eval, a conditional offer is made for the next available course date after they reach 1000 hours TT. So in short, 1000 hour total time seems to be the bare minimum still and only for pilots who were selected to be in the Destination Porter program. Porter is big on personality, how well they think you'd fit in with the company culture, references, other experience, etc so I suppose they do make exceptions on a case by case basis. The general rule seems to be 1000+ hours and sim eval required for pilots with less than 1500 hours and/or limited two-crew IFR time.

Thank you for this, so people have been interviewed with 500+ hours and given a conditional offer this is a step in the right direction.

Anon1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anon1234 »

Boreas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am If that's what they have to do to not pay more, then that's what they'll do.
Why slam them? Their starting pay is at least higher than the other regionals.

As to the OP. I know someone who was hired with less than <1,000 but I think it's safe to assume 1,000 is still the minimum.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Anon1234 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am Why slam them? Their starting pay is at least higher than the other regionals.
Slam them all! Even the majors in Canada have substandard wages compared to the rest of the world.

We all need to fully realize that. We need to get angry and we need to do something about it.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Anon1234 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am
Boreas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am If that's what they have to do to not pay more, then that's what they'll do.
Why slam them? Their starting pay is at least higher than the other regionals.
They're still fighting to keep the industry substandard. Porter is included in that ridiculous "airline union" fighting against duty regs with those scare tactic ads on Facebook..

They can join a union, but the minute the pilot group talks about it I'm sure we'll hear of "Porter link" or something.

They're no different than most of the regionals currently, at least some are being proactive to industry trends.

Anon1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anon1234 »

Boreas wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am
Anon1234 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am Why slam them? Their starting pay is at least higher than the other regionals.
Slam them all! Even the majors in Canada have substandard wages compared to the rest of the world.

We all need to fully realize that. We need to get angry and we need to do something about it.
Sure I agree. I wish all the carriers would start paying more but they don't so what are we suppose to do besides pick the "shinniest turd"

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

The insurance companies must be calling the shots here, right? I mean how low can any of the regionals go, in general, before their insurance premiums become unfeasable?

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

I dunno, we haven't had a "Colgan" yet. That'll bring the rates up.

Return to “Employment Forum”