How real is the pilot shortage?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Grey
Rank 0
Rank 0

How real is the pilot shortage?

Post by Grey »

I haven't flown in 2 years. I had a flight instructor rating that expired 5 years ago. I've got a PPL and CPL, with no bells & whistles (like an instrument rating).

I could barely get by working as a flight instructor (which I did for less than a year). Nobody was acting like there was any coming pilot shortage 6 years ago. Being at the airport 40+ hours a week, I wasn't bringing enough money to pay relatively low monthly expenses. I couldn't make a dent in my debt from flight training.
---------- ADS -----------

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: How real is the pilot shortage?

Post by Zaibatsu »

It’s real if you have 1500 hours and your ATPL. There’s still a zillion 250 hour wannabes with Group 1 IfRs vying for the same entry level positions.

500 hours and you’ll start looking attractive to the scumbag operators, because in a year you can be captain and they’ll have you for a year more because of your bond.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

500 hours and you’ll start looking attractive to the scumbag operators,

Yes that is true.

But if you have the right attitude and are willing to be part of the company and willing to learn you will look attractive to the good companies and you will not need to apply to scumbag companies.

It is more about your attitude than how many hours you have.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Yes that is true.

But if you have the right attitude and are willing to be part of the company and willing to learn you will look attractive to the good companies and you will not need to apply to scumbag companies.

This is not accurate at all. I have a horrible attitude as many people on this site would tell you. I managed to get jobs, including flying for a regional. I also have an interview overseas next week. The secret is, don't bring that attitude to work. Keep it to online forums. The truth is, the only thing that really matters is the experience.

Das ist mir wurst...
Anon1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anon1234 »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Yes that is true.

This is not accurate at all. I have a horrible attitude as many people on this site would tell you. I managed to get jobs, including flying for a regional. I also have an interview overseas next week. The secret is, don't bring that attitude to work. Keep it to online forums. The truth is, the only thing that really matters is the experience.
As a regular follower who thinks you get treated unfairly on here, good luck on your interview!

Last edited by Anon1234 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Yes that is true.

attitude is about on the same lines as experience at the better and higher paying places, no one wants to hire "that guy" who's going to turn the place toxic and possible make turnover.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

HansDietrish

Good luck on your interview at EK, you won’t even pass the 1st day with that kind of attitude :) (same for EY, QR or EVA)
RH are doing a great job there, out of 10 candidates per day usually 1 is going through the entire process, some are much more experienced than you, flying as Captain on B737 or A320 and they don’t even pass day 1. They are not too desperate to hire every low timer with CRJ time only.
If you’re successful, I wish you all the best with your new life, trust me your bubble will burst very quickly. Life overseas is not what you may imagine, you’re not local you’re not welcome and you have no rights.
If you’re complaining at Jazz, you’ll be complaining everywhere.
From a guy who was in you shoes few years ago...

Return to “Employment Forum”