Career guidance needed!

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pei-er
Rank 0
Rank 0

Career guidance needed!

Post by pei-er »

Hey everyone!

I’m looking for some career guidance, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I currently live in Eastern Canada (PEI), and doing medevac rotations out West. I should add that my roots are very well dug in with my family in PEI, so moving is out. Also my family is due to get bigger in July, so big pay cuts are also out for the near future.

I have over 4000 hrs, most of which is multi-pic, handful of jet/jet pic time, handful of 705 time. I don’t have a degree or diploma.

I was thinking about going left seat RJ with Georgian for a year or two then setting my sights overseas. I got a call 12 hours after applying though which makes me a tad nervous. Has anyone went this route or know anyone who has?

Also looking into a position with Jazz in CYUL. Seems to be quick upgrades on the Q400 of 6-8 months. Can anyone confirm this? Taking a huge slash in pay isn’t ideal but, short term pain for long term gain???

Anyone commuting with PAL? Would that be possible?

Anywho, not much to work with I know. But like I said, any insight or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Career guidance needed!

Post by tbaylx »

If you're looking to move on then take the job with the higher pay that provides a path where you want to go.

Plenty of threads on here about Georgian and Jazz. Georgian is a revolving door so they're always looking these days.
I'm not sure but if I was to guess you'd have an easier time commuting with Jazz than Georgian schedule wise.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

If you want to stay east say YHZ base, PAL is a good choice. After that I would say Jazz to commute to YUL. Approx 2 yrs to sit left seat RJ, 12-18 mths for the Q or classic. Don't forget for being based out of YUL you'll lose a bit more in taxes each paycheck until tax time to get a refund for actual residence as PEI on Dec 31st.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I'm confused. Do you want to stay in PEI or go overseas? You mentioned you have "roots" there and you're not willing to move. That's a little contradictory, unless I didn't understand you correctly.

1. If you want to stay in Canada (PEI), I second the choice for PAL
2. If you want overseas, get yourself a job on a jet with a MTOW > 20 tons (RJ, Embraer, etc)

Good luck

Das ist mir wurst...
pei-er
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pei-er »

Ya sorry about the confusion there, I should clarify. A lot of the overseas gigs I've looked at have an option for a commutable month on/month off schedule. So I would still be living in PEI. As for PAL they only have a posting up for YUL right now. I have a phone interview scheduled with them on Monday though, and I'll definitely ask about any openings in YHZ.

Thanks all!

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

Can’t comment on the options for overseas re Georgian as far as the 12 hrs goes don’t read too much into that. They are sending 10 pilots a month to Ac right now with 100 committed for the year so they are recruiting hard. If you want to go to AC the Georgian is a no brainer if you don’t want AC then 50/50 but if your option is a wait at Jazz for left seat then that seems like a poor alternative. Nothing wrong with PAL. Great company as well. Always good to have options.

Pilotin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilotin »

pei-er wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm I got a call 12 hours after applying though which makes me a tad nervous. Has anyone went this route or know anyone who has?
i heard they hired 2 extra pilot recruiters or something that are harassing people on LinkedIn. :lol:

They committed a bunch of people to AC, maybe they're trying to keep up.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

gtanorth wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:15 pm Can’t comment on the options for overseas re Georgian as far as the 12 hrs goes don’t read too much into that. They are sending 10 pilots a month to Ac right now with 100 committed for the year so they are recruiting hard. If you want to go to AC the Georgian is a no brainer if you don’t want AC then 50/50 but if your option is a wait at Jazz for left seat then that seems like a poor alternative. Nothing wrong with PAL. Great company as well. Always good to have options.
To each their own, but I think Jazz is a good/better alternative. AC isn't a guarantee, so one must think of a plan B. In this case B would be Jazz or elsewhere, not GGN. Again that's my opinion.

Return to “Employment Forum”