Did we reach the next phase of the pilot shortage?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Did we reach the next phase of the pilot shortage?

Post by digits_ »

gtanorth wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:16 pm How much would you need to get paid to be an instructor and not fly a 787 at some point of normal progression if you go to AC or WJ.... 100K a year, 150K, 200K
You're asking the wrong question. If you have your eyes set on a 787, nothing will ever be enough untill you are flying that 787. However, after flying in the middle of the night, flying like a zombie during medevac ops and preferring not to move and start over yet again, I'd be happy with 100k/year to work 4 x 9 hour days per week with at least one weekend day off, 3 weeks of vacation and all flying expenses paid (medical, flight tests etc). I'd start considering it for 75k/year.

You don't have to pay a premium to attract people, you only have to pay enough for people who want to instruct to be able to stay.

The other caveat is, even if you find a job like that now, as soon as things are slowing down again, you'd probably be the first one out the door again, so long term success is not guaranteed...
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

That’s what the colleges have done. Typically around $80-$100k salary (vs hours) for instructors that have industry experience. Lots of takers too since it doesn’t require extensive travel. I considered it, but currently have a good schedule with equivalent pay.

momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:18 am That’s what the colleges have done. Typically around $80-$100k salary (vs hours) for instructors that have industry experience. Lots of takers too since it doesn’t require extensive travel. I considered it, but currently have a good schedule with equivalent pay.
The colleges are partially funded by provincial and federal govt. Not a good comparison.

Return to “Employment Forum”