Criminal record

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mimister
Rank 0
Rank 0

Criminal record

Post by mimister »

I have a minor criminal record from many years before which includes DUI and Domestic .... I'm about to get hired by an operator which is a medivac and they advised me that they will do a record check.
I have the ability to get a secured card access and I have no problems getting into the US.

What are the chances of getting or not getting hired for this position ? Should I be honest and advise them ahead of my past ? It sounds like they are really interested in me for this position.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Criminal record

Post by digits_ »

mimister wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:37 am I have a minor criminal record from many years before which includes DUI and Domestic .... I'm about to get hired by an operator which is a medivac and they advised me that they will do a record check.
I have the ability to get a secured card access and I have no problems getting into the US.

What are the chances of getting or not getting hired for this position ? Should I be honest and advise them ahead of my past ? It sounds like they are really interested in me for this position.
You got a RAIC with a criminal record? Impressive!

The operators would probably hire Hannibal Lecter if he had 500 multi pic and an ATPL nowadays. It's their customer, eg the government, that determines the requirements of the pilots. It depends on their contract. You will be working with very vulnerable people/patients.

Should you tell them: they'll find out eventually. Then again, by the time they find out, you'll probably want to move on from medevac anyway.

Try to contact the applicable provincial government health department, and ask them the question first. Then you can decide how to proceed with the employer. If the government is OK with it, the company probably won't care.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

Do some digging and you should be able to find the applicable health authority/gov't dept that publishes standards for flight crews. I know for Alberta in particular, a criminal record isn't an automatic disqualifier. Once a criminal record check comes back as "non clear", they will ask you for particulars, at which point they will determine of it is relevant to the position. For medevac I imagine it's things like sexual, violent or drug offenses.

Same thing for RAIC's, they look at the offense and the relevant risk to the position/access level that you are being vetted for. Things like DUI's and property crimes are not relevent and will not be an issue.

There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding records and aviation.

Be up front with your employer, concealing it can be grounds for immediate termination if they've asked and you've concealed it. If they don't ask, you are under no obligation to disclose. If they tell you the position is subject to a criminal record check, ethically, you need to disclose prior to that.

If they don't tell you there is a record check and don't ask pre-hire if you have one, you are under no obligation ethically or legally, to disclose.

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Why haven't you applied for a record suspension? A criminal record is no good in this business.

If it's in Ontario, the Ministry themselves can approve you based on a short interview, however if it's ORNGE or one of their direct subcontractors it's a total non-starter as they have their own criteria that was implemented several years ago, and the Gov't clearance is moot in that case.

bogey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bogey »

Go to Swoop! Youll fit in!

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

In what world is DUI and domestic assault a "minor" record??

Torresdenochea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Torresdenochea »

FishermanIvan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm In what world is DUI and domestic assault a "minor" record??
In the AvCanada world...

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

FishermanIvan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm In what world is DUI and domestic assault a "minor" record??
You get drunk, are standing outside your vehicle, get into a fight, and then get lippy with the cop when he shows up. That seems like a minor event compared to manslaughter/murder/drug trafficking/car theft.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 am
You get drunk, are standing outside your vehicle, get into a fight, and then get lippy with the cop when he shows up. That seems like a minor event compared to manslaughter/murder/drug trafficking/car theft.
Which wouldn’t get you a DUI. It might, might get you impaired care and control. But there’s no (probable) way you actually get convicted of it. DUI is hard enough to convict for people actually driving drunk, not standing outside their car.

And domestic assault generally means a spouse... so hitting your wife is a minor event?

Like I said, what world?

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

FishermanIvan wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:45 am
TheRealMcCoy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 am You get drunk, are standing outside your vehicle, get into a fight, and then get lippy with the cop when he shows up. That seems like a minor event compared to manslaughter/murder/drug trafficking/car theft.
Which wouldn’t get you a DUI. It might, might get you impaired care and control. But there’s no (probable) way you actually get convicted of it. DUI is hard enough to convict for people actually driving drunk, not standing outside their car.

And domestic assault generally means a spouse... so hitting your wife is a minor event?

Like I said, what world?
Yes you would, have friends that it has happened to. Sure you can fight it in court, if you can afford a lawyer...

Ah, missed that part. I'm just playing devils advocate. Obviously it's not "good things" that were done, but very far from what I would "major".

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

It probably depends on the airline as to whether they will hire you. AT hired a pilot who had a drug conviction in the US(flying it in from the Caribbean) and officially stated that they knew he had been convicted of the crime. So there is precedence.

Return to “Employment Forum”