Pacific Coastal Airlines

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pilot4hire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pacific Coastal Airlines

Post by pilot4hire »

Hey AvCanadians,

I'm looking for current (2018) information about work environment, management, and any other important info for someone thinking of working at Pasco.

I've read in other threads that you have to find your own accomodation on overnight pairings, is this true?

Also, for the interview and sim eval in Vancouver, will they pay for the flight to and from or will the applicant have to pay?

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Pacific Coastal Airlines

Post by Jean-Pierre »

If their own employee have to pay for accommodation I do not think they are going to pay for people that do not even work for them.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

pilot4hire wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:55 am Hey AvCanadians,

I'm looking for current (2018) information about work environment, management, and any other important info for someone thinking of working at Pasco.

I've read in other threads that you have to find your own accomodation on overnight pairings, is this true?

Also, for the interview and sim eval in Vancouver, will they pay for the flight to and from or will the applicant have to pay?

Cheers
I doubt they'd pay for your flight not even knowing you or if you'd pass the eval.

Lots of companies bring you space available through their own network, which I'm sure Pasco would do if you were in their network. Definitely not from yyz or anything though.

ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ragequit »

Last edited by ragequit on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilot4hire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4hire »

Thanks for the info ragequit.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I don't fly for Pacific Coastal anymore but can shed some light on some of the questions.

Not sure where you heard Pasco doesn't pay for overnight accommodation, but that is not true. They definitely cover overnight accommodation on pairings. From the YVR base, the overnights are in Cranbrook, Victoria, Comox, Campbell River, Port Hardy and occasionally Powell River. With the exception of Port Hardy, all the overnights are in relatively nice hotels (when I was there we stayed at the St. Eugene Mission in Cranbrook and the Old House Hotel & Spa in Comox which are both pretty nice). In Port Hardy, there is company supplied apartment style accommodation located on one side of the hangar. Most of the pilots don't love staying there, but the accommodations themselves are fine and it is nice being able to do your walkaround in your slippers in the hangar.

Where the misunderstanding may have come from is that Pasco offers confirmed commuting for pilots within its network with the caveat that although they'll do their best to give commutable pairings, sometimes crews will end up having to overnight in Vancouver and they're responsible for getting their own hotel, crash pad or AirBNB (with some exceptions). This is the same with most other airlines' commuting policies except the actual flights aren't confirmed. My understanding is that they currently have a number of YVR based pilots living in Victoria, Comox, Campbell River and Powell River. They also have 2 1900 crews each based in Victoria and Powell River.

Flights for interviews is in flux at the moment. Last I heard, interviews for the YYC base were still taking place in YVR, so Pasco was covering the flights from YYC to YVR for the interview and SIM Eval (though it should be noted that the Sim Eval is at Boundary Bay Airport and the candidate is responsible for getting themselves out there). I think there have been flights covered from other destinations, but I'm not sure of the most recent policy. I believe the long term plan is to do YYC interviews actually in YYC.

From what I uderstand, pay is still relatively the same as posted last year by Pasco FltOps. For Direct Entry Captains, it should be noted that depending on your previous PIC and total time, you can move up to a higher pay rate. I don't have the specifics available unfortunately. For FOs, Mins are 750TT. Last I heard, hiring for YVR is 1900 only and hiring for YYC is Saab only. This will likely change as the YYC and WJLink flying matures.

As it stands right now, the YVR flying is still similar to past information but primarily being done by 1900s. Some relatively short overnights as listed above, but home each night in YVR a fair amount with almost exclusively daytime flying in the summer.

The YYC base is Saab only and flies based on a schedule set out by WJ. Currently there are two pairing types - daytime only and home each night (though 12-13 duty days) or a few days of stand-ups in a row leaving YYC in the evening, 6 hours or so in a hotel, then back to YYC in the early morning and off for the day (I know some folks hate those, but others love them). Although the company is working to try and make it work for everyone, initially at least, pilots will need to be prepared to do both types of pairings.

Overall its a great company though its not for everyone. The pay for FOs tends to be a lower than the other regionals, though the minimums tend to be lower. Captain's pay is comprable to other regionals and training Captain pay is very good. While I'd argue the schedule is better than the other regionals with more days off and less nights away from home, it's also a little harder to control though the company has worked on improving this. They have some lifers, some former 705 jet pilots who want to be closer to home, as well as many newer pilots (usually former instructors) who are working there instead of other regionals. While a couple years ago there was a pretty big exodus to Jazz/Encore, most of the pilots now stay at Pasco until AC or Sunwing etc. calls. They had a number of guys go directly to AC over the past year.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

You can live anywhere you want on their network. As long as you have a second home in Vancouver.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Nobody’s ever been hired there.

pilot4hire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4hire »

Lots of great info.

Thanks guys!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Unless it's changed in the past 6 months, they do not provide travel to YVR for the interview and do not provide accommodations while there. You'll have to pay out of pocket for all of that. The have a YYC based 705 assistant CP now though so maybe they'll interview in YYC for the flying there. The rest of what JBI said sounds accurate as far as I know.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

bonds?

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

I have a question about PasCo. I’m in Edmonton and just started building PIC doing pipelines. But I’m from Vancouver Island and ultimately want to work with someone like Pacific so that I can live my west coast lifestyle and fly for a good company long term. My question is, I know they have posted 750 TT as their minimum for FO positions, how set in stone are they on that? Should I start trying at 500? Or should I try to get in with someone like KD as soon as I can, work with them for a bit then apply to PasCo with some more relevant experience than a whack of 172 VFR hours. Not trying to cut corners but rather be as efficient as possible as I’m already in my late 30s.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Well, apply as PasCo. You never know. Avoid KD.

gooseinbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gooseinbc »

AirDoan wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm I have a question about PasCo. I’m in Edmonton and just started building PIC doing pipelines. But I’m from Vancouver Island and ultimately want to work with someone like Pacific so that I can live my west coast lifestyle and fly for a good company long term. My question is, I know they have posted 750 TT as their minimum for FO positions, how set in stone are they on that? Should I start trying at 500? Or should I try to get in with someone like KD as soon as I can, work with them for a bit then apply to PasCo with some more relevant experience than a whack of 172 VFR hours. Not trying to cut corners but rather be as efficient as possible as I’m already in my late 30s.

Stay away from KD, its a sinking ship. Pilots are quitting before lining up other jobs to go to. Orca 2.0

pilot4hire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4hire »

AirDoan wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm I have a question about PasCo. I’m in Edmonton and just started building PIC doing pipelines. But I’m from Vancouver Island and ultimately want to work with someone like Pacific so that I can live my west coast lifestyle and fly for a good company long term. My question is, I know they have posted 750 TT as their minimum for FO positions, how set in stone are they on that? Should I start trying at 500? Or should I try to get in with someone like KD as soon as I can, work with them for a bit then apply to PasCo with some more relevant experience than a whack of 172 VFR hours. Not trying to cut corners but rather be as efficient as possible as I’m already in my late 30s.
I just met someone the other day who did pipeline patrol in Edmonton with 500 TT in his 40s who did his sim eval with Pasco earlier this week. There is hope for you yet!

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

pilot4hire wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:12 am
I just met someone the other day who did pipeline patrol in Edmonton with 500 TT in his 40s who did his sim eval with Pasco earlier this week. There is hope for you yet!
I like this story! That's the goal then..... Get my group one, pass the 500 mark and hit the ground running (so to speak).

Return to “Employment Forum”