Evas

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Evascaptainyhz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Evas

Post by Evascaptainyhz »

HansDietrich wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:55 am
BE02 Driver wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 am
I got this one EVAS YHZ Captain. Correct where necessary.

1. How much is the promissory note for? How long is it? How much money do you have to pay upfront?

- Last Check $20,000 for 2 years, 50% cash upfront. And approximately $450 cash for your uniform...
I stopped reading here.

50% up front cash from a poor F/O? $10,000 cash ? $450 for the uniform? They have to pay for uniform?

Are the managers at EVAS insane? Let me ask that again: "ARE THE MANAGERS AT EVAS INSANE?"

Shame on you for taking advantage of hard working and talented people!
Read my post below his! There is no upfront and uniforms are paid 50/50 with a deduction off your pay every cheque. This is something we are looking into.
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

In what world do you have to pay for your own uniform??

Evascaptainyhz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Evascaptainyhz »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:38 pm https://www.retailcouncil.org/quickfact ... y-province

Ontario minimum wage: 14.00$/hour [29,120$/year]
Nova Scotia min wage: 11.00$/hour [22, 880$/year]
Newfoundland min wage: 11.15$/hour [23,192$/year]
* min wage x 40 hours per week x 52 weeks.

Average debt load for students is about 60,000$ to 80,000$

So .... 33,000$ to start as an FO, with 60k in debt, being asked to front 20K?

I often wonder why "the industry wonders why there's a pilot shortage". :roll:
Yes its a sad time we are living in no doubt! But they dont have to front 20k just has to stay their contract. when I came here I did have to pay for my job glad that has since passed and glad I got everything back and don't have to worry about it anymore. Not only that but no one else has to worry about stupid bonds! We

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm In what world do you have to pay for your own uniform??
I think by law unless it has a company logo on it companies can request they pay for uniforms.

I have never worked at a spot that charge me for uniforms, however, and that would give me a pretty good indication of the company I was about to work for if I had uniform deductions on my pay check.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Evascaptainyhz wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:15 pm Evasyhzcaptain,

I’ll start by saying I commend you for the time and effort you’ve put into improving your CBA and WAWCON. That said, I feel bad for current/future Evas employees having you bargaining on their behalf. You clearly have no idea what it’s like to work at an even semi-decent airline. You clearly have big fish in a very tiny scummy pond syndrome and most of all you clearly are delusional if you think any of the above listed working conditions are acceptable. Do your fellow co-workers, future co-workers and every other Canadian pilot a favour and exclude yourself from the negotiations in favour of someone with more factual industry knowledge.
When did I ever say this was acceptable? I appreciate the compliment I don't appreciate everything after that at what point did I say it was acceptable? At what point did I tell you everything we were going for in the negotiations? I wasn't around the first time around negotiations were in so that's a pretty big brush you just painted me with! Proof will be in the pudding I guess...
When you came here and said “I'm starting this forum to dispell rumours and try to get rid of the terrible reputation Evas has”.
With the working conditions listed above, the rumours aren’t rumours, if anything it’s worse than people assumed. Also their terrible reputation is clearly spot on and well deserved.
For you to be working under those conditions, then at the same time try to justify them and stand up for he company is mind blowing. I stand by everything I said, if I were an Evas employee why would I want to have someone who goes out of their way to defend and justify working under the one of the worst WAWCON’s in the Country.

Evascaptainyhz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Evascaptainyhz »

I said I'm here to dispell rumours about the reputation from a few years ago things are improving I didn't say work conditions were one of them yet we are working on that. We are no longer forced to fly personally I never was but some people were those days are over. With the promise from the company once October roles around we should get a 6/5 schedule as long as no one else leaves. The winter schedule apparently has really changed as well. I can't comment on this as it hasn't happened yet. They are doing things to try and shorten up the day I'm not saying it's not the companies fault for things but it also has a large deal with we are a commuter company we have to fly at certain times so we can bring passengers from smaller airports so they can connect on to the big guys! For some reason people tend to overlook that! We are actively looking at trying to make this place better! I didn't say everything is going to change over in one night these things take time. Criticize all you want as an outsider, that's fine paint me with the I have no idea what we are looking for your a horrible representative for the CBA believe what you want...

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Evascaptainyhz wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:00 am I said I'm here to dispell rumours about the reputation from a few years ago things are improving I didn't say work conditions were one of them yet we are working on that. We are no longer forced to fly personally I never was but some people were those days are over. With the promise from the company once October roles around we should get a 6/5 schedule as long as no one else leaves. The winter schedule apparently has really changed as well. I can't comment on this as it hasn't happened yet. They are doing things to try and shorten up the day I'm not saying it's not the companies fault for things but it also has a large deal with we are a commuter company we have to fly at certain times so we can bring passengers from smaller airports so they can connect on to the big guys! For some reason people tend to overlook that! We are actively looking at trying to make this place better! I didn't say everything is going to change over in one night these things take time. Criticize all you want as an outsider, that's fine paint me with the I have no idea what we are looking for your a horrible representative for the CBA believe what you want...
Do you think the wall of shame will make a return this winter? Or did it get SMS'd enough to disappear?

For outsiders, the "Wall of Shame" was a white board in the dispatch office that listed the names of crew and how much money they wasted on de-icing each month. A running tally of the big spenders........

It was real, and it did get SMS'd, at least twice that I saw.

Of course, if you didn't spend, your name didn't go up there.

Where did I put that email from TSB yesterday regarding de-ice ops and the Westwind crash? That reminds me, I should probably start filling that survey in.......

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd make it a personal goal to be on top of that board.

Makes Transport's job easy too. All they need to do is read a few names at the bottom, then hang out at the gate when those crews are scheduled to fly.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:16 am I'd make it a personal goal to be on top of that board.

Makes Transport's job easy too. All they need to do is read a few names at the bottom, then hang out at the gate when those crews are scheduled to fly.
Everyone says that, but reality is, no one actually likes getting yelled and sworn at by their boss(es). It makes for a toxic work environment. So the border line sprays stop happening with most people, because, well, it's easier not to be in shit with management. For some still, most sprays stopped happening. And management doesn't need to whip everyone into shape, they just need most people to be afraid. That's how they run the joint.

You have to keep in mind that most people that work at EVAS aren't veterans of the profession. They are new, trying to make a good impression on their employer. They are worried about things like a reference for the PML, or in some cases losing their work visas and being booted out of Canada, or having to repay a $20,000 bond if they get fired. The senior guys that choose to be there, for their own reasons, govern themselves accordingly. They are pretty much untouchable anyway. Without those guys anchoring that place down EVAS goes the way of the dodo.

That's what is so dangerous at EVAS. They have an inordinate amount of leverage on a good portion of their employees. It makes standing up to them that much more difficult.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

If I got yelled at for taking a spray, then I'd quit, and see them in court for the bond. Could always just cancel the flight too if glycol is too expensive. But I'm also not chasing the giant red carrot, and have no intention of working at EVAS

Evascaptainyhz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Evascaptainyhz »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:56 am If I got yelled at for taking a spray, then I'd quit, and see them in court for the bond. Could always just cancel the flight too if glycol is too expensive. But I'm also not chasing the giant red carrot, and have no intention of working at EVAS
The thing people again leave out is that cargo isn't supposed to spray. They have a northern operation type of deal where they have piss packs because cargo isn't covered under our contractor! Now that being said with our current stance with equipment I would also spray!

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Evascaptainyhz wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 am
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:56 am If I got yelled at for taking a spray, then I'd quit, and see them in court for the bond. Could always just cancel the flight too if glycol is too expensive. But I'm also not chasing the giant red carrot, and have no intention of working at EVAS
The thing people again leave out is that cargo isn't supposed to spray. They have a northern operation type of deal where they have piss packs because cargo isn't covered under our contractor! Now that being said with our current stance with equipment I would also spray!
Yes they are suppose to spray! That's the point. Cold type 1 is useless when precipitation is accumulating. And you can't spray a tail of a 1900 with a garden sprayer. Oh right...... EVAS provides a ladder to use in a snowstorm on a slippery ramp. Can't possibly see what could go wrong there.

EVAS is too damn cheap to pay for professional spray services on their cargo run! It's just two crew members and an bunch of boxes after all.

How did the "Northern Type Operation" work out for Westwind?

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

EVAS employees, yet another example on this thread your representative just doesn’t have a clue.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

That's embarrassing. I hope TC is reading this.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

FL007 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:46 am
They know. Multiple current and former employees have filed complaints. Their response is usually the same. They won't prosecute on witness testimony alone. They need to catch them in the act. I have noticed they have stepped up enforcement a bit on EVAS and done a couple ramp checks in the last year. I know people have been served as a result.

While I have EVASYHZCAPTAIN's attention I have another question.....100% serious question.....

How do you feel about EVAS booking charters on empty AC flights like they did twice last winter to Sydney? AC picked up the tab for an empty aircraft swap, fuel, de-ice in YQY, and the private charter got charged full price too!!!!! All on an AC flight number. Are you morally okay with flying a plane that is literally defrauding AC, the company for which you want to get a PML interview with one day?

Sounds like a company that wants to do right by the world, they even bite the hand that feeds them. If they steal from AC their only real customer, how do you expect them to be honest with their employees?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Wow this is disheartening. I had no illusions that EVAS was a great place to spend your career, but I figured a decent regional to build time at. Glad that they only gave me a quick email to ask if my old instructor rating was still valid and when I said no, never replied again.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Nothing wrong with "cargo isn't supposed to spray", but they better not be expecting the flight to depart either. I don't mind pushing the plane back in the hangar and going for coffee while waiting for weather to improve and the accumulated ice to melt.

Evascaptainyhz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Evascaptainyhz »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 am
EVAS employees, yet another example on this thread your representative just doesn’t have a clue.
It might help if you look at the whole post I said it was only cargo not that it made a difference I also said I would spray as well right now as we don't have the correct methods right now. I meant they aren't supposed to be sprayed yes the pilots should still spray the plane themselves they weren't supposed to be professionally sprayed but as I already said a few times with the practices we have in place I to would take the spray because I don't agree with our current arrangements.

Evascaptainyhz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Evascaptainyhz »

BE02 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:43 am

They know. Multiple current and former employees have filed complaints. Their response is usually the same. They won't prosecute on witness testimony alone. They need to catch them in the act. I have noticed they have stepped up enforcement a bit on EVAS and done a couple ramp checks in the last year. I know people have been served as a result.

While I have EVASYHZCAPTAIN's attention I have another question.....100% serious question.....

How do you feel about EVAS booking charters on empty AC flights like they did twice last winter to Sydney? AC picked up the tab for an empty aircraft swap, fuel, de-ice in YQY, and the private charter got charged full price too!!!!! All on an AC flight number. Are you morally okay with flying a plane that is literally defrauding AC, the company for which you want to get a PML interview with one day?

Sounds like a company that wants to do right by the world, they even bite the hand that feeds them. If they steal from AC their only real customer, how do you expect them to be honest with their employees?
This is a whole separate issue which I don't agree with I didnt participate in it either. It's not my job as I'm not management I have very little information. That being said I know for a fact we have a couple aircraft that arnt air Canada funded I can't say with certainty that those were the aircraft used.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Evascaptainyhz wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 am
BE02 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:43 am

This is a whole separate issue which I don't agree with I didnt participate in it either. It's not my job as I'm not management I have very little information. That being said I know for a fact we have a couple aircraft that arnt air Canada funded I can't say with certainty that those were the aircraft used.
No, there were 100% AC funded flights doing the tail swap between Gander and Halifax (Like the do daily). Ask one of your long time Captains at YHZ. It's up for everyone to see on the YQY Facebook page! Opps!

Return to “Employment Forum”