Iskwew Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Iskwew Air

Post by lownslow »

I don't plan to apply, but is this for real?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126450

One Navajo, looking for a fourth manager, offering $48k/year to be a chief pilot. I know better paid FOs with 1/4 the experience on simpler equipment elsewhere. It also strongly appears as if men need not apply but that's just a wild guess.

So... think they'll find someone?
---------- ADS -----------

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Iskwew Air

Post by Lightchop »

They can pay less because it's Vancouver, and for some reason pilots like taking poor paying jobs to be able to remain in the most expensive city in Canada. It doesn't make sense but it's reality.

bright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bright »

Good morning!
The feedback is both appreciated and now being considered. Thank you.

The range is $48,000-$60,000 depending on experience and yes may be appealing someone keen on a good schedule and lifestyle in Vancouver.

EVERYONE qualified is most welcome and encouraged to apply.

Have a good day!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, I am awesome. i do not think there is any question about that.

Should I be asking my referrnces to comment on my awsomeness, or my flight/ management experience, and the abilty to subsist on generic KD?

:smt040 Just kidding...Hope they can find someone qualified and competent at that wage point. Though I suspect the CP will also be their line pilot. 2 for 1.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by greygoose »

I think they forgot to hit x2 on the calculator(at the least).

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

trey kule wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pmThough I suspect the CP will also be their line pilot.
...and training captain, HR, safety manager, rampie, part-time janitor, and so on.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

You know you need to reevaluate your business model when your "start-up" is being roasted almost immediately after inception on Avcanada.

bright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bright »

Thank you for the good information. It is genuinely appreciated.

Full time was not specified and the range was to invite those that might be interested in a light schedule with a single aircraft operation, I can see now that isn't clear nor helpful. I have updated the posting as full time so it better reflects the intentions.

It is indeed humbling to put oneself out here on Avcanada.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Don't give up. Members of the AvCanada peanut gallery are quite friendly once you get to know them.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

On a more serious note, can a 703 ops have a part time CP?

I find it hard to see, with all TC’s personnel demands, how a one plane operation can make a go of it. Just to much TC mandated management and regulatory requirements

One plane ops are pretty much going the way of the dinasaur.

Perhaps it is just a start to expand. In that case a low salary plus stock incentives might work well.

The sense I get from the ad is these are well intentioned people who really are not up to speed on what it takes to succeed. I wish them luck.

Accident speculation:
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

trey kule wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 am On a more serious note, can a 703 ops have a part time CP?

I find it hard to see, with all TC’s personnel demands, how a one plane operation can make a go of it. Just to much TC mandated management and regulatory requirements

One plane ops are pretty much going the way of the dinasaur.

Perhaps it is just a start to expand. In that case a low salary plus stock incentives might work well.

The sense I get from the ad is these are well intentioned people who really are not up to speed on what it takes to succeed. I wish them luck.
Not saying this is the case but Maybe they have a Big ol pile of government money by virtue of being a native/women owned start up. In my experience those are the best operations to work for. If you take the need to generate profit out of the equation it makes for a much less stressful experience.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Who can make it with a single Navajo these days?

Companies went broke flying fleets of Navajos out of Vancouver. KD Air is the only one that’s managed to find a niche and eek out a humble living.

If you can’t do a sched or contract work.. you have to go charter. It’s so cheap to charter larger aircraft now that except for boutique small charters... a Navajo is way too small. Even the 1900’s days are waning as an effective charter machine. Look at the south side and most of your charter machines are Dash 8s, CRJs, BAe 146s, and 737s.

Of course none of this would be my problem as Chief Pilot. The problem with a light schedule is that it’s often not the schedule you want. I fly a gruelling number of hours a year, but I have blocks of scheduled days off where I don’t have to be anywhere near the airport.

I noticed the rates went up compared to the start of this thread. It’s a start, but anyone with the time is going to do a lot better elsewhere in this industry. I make a lot more than that with none of the responsibilities in a much cheaper place to live.

I wish you luck. You’re going to need it.

bright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bright »

Nothing like a dumpster fire right off the bat to keep ya humble! :)

Witnessing folks that really care about their fellow pilots and the integrity of the community and the industry.
Lots of experience, insight, and wisdom being shared. Remarks around the challenges of navigating regulatory demands, starting up with a single Navajo with a plan to grow slow, steady and smart from there, and the realities of what it takes to make it - are insightful and right on point. Thank you. I am able to carry all or a good part of the regulatory and flying load, mindful that enough time is carved out for good systems and for business development the thinking was that this might be a good opportunity for someone looking for something that fit with their lifestyle or to expand a desired skillset. Having an awesome full-time Chief Pilot onboard fully engaged contributing to building a solid foundation is also super great.

It will certainly be hard work, so the well wishes are truly appreciated.
With respect and gratitude,
Teara Fraser

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Does anyone know the answer...Does TC allow part time CPs in 703 ops?
Nothing to do with this thread, but of much interest to me.

Accident speculation:
jonnytwoshoes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jonnytwoshoes »

703.07 (2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an applicant shall have

(a) a management organization capable of exercising operational control;

(b) managerial personnel who have been approved by the Minister in accordance with the Commercial Air Service Standards, are employed on a full-time basis and perform the functions related to the following positions, namely,

(i) operations manager,

(ii) chief pilot, and

(iii) where the applicant does not hold an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate, maintenance manager;

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Jonny., Thanks for taking the time to reference and post.

I was a bit confused (more than usual) by the comments about light work schedules that seemed to indicate a part time position was possible.

Three full time management positions. One plane that typically will allocate about 25% of gross revenues to G&A. Tough slog. I hope expansion is not based on retained earnings.
Years ago, one person could hold all three positions. Is that still possible?

What does a Navajo typically gross per hour or flight time in BC?

Accident speculation:
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

trey kule wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:26 am Does anyone know the answer...Does TC allow part time CPs in 703 ops?
Nothing to do with this thread, but of much interest to me.

Yes they do.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Interesting lightchop....did you read what jonnytwoshoes posted?

Accident speculation:
gooseinbc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gooseinbc »

Zaibatsu wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:18 am Companies went broke flying fleets of Navajos out of Vancouver. KD Air is the only one that’s managed to find a niche and eek out a humble living.
KD down from 13 pilots in april to one 500hr captain a couple 250hr wonder copilots with fresh PCCs and has no CP. All flights cancelled today...

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 am
trey kule wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:26 am Does anyone know the answer...Does TC allow part time CPs in 703 ops?
Yes they do.
No they do not, at least according to the CARS.

Return to “Employment Forum”