No job to first job

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

gaboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

No job to first job

Post by gaboy »

Hi AvCanada,

I am looking for several ways to get started in aviation as a pilot. I will soon be getting my CPL and am wondering what the possibilities are other than instructor, working the ramp or paying for my time. I know being an instructor is a good way to go, but am looking at other possibilities.

I am willing to relocate anywhere in the world and speak a few languages, but am a Canadian citizen without any special privileges to work in other countries. Working as a parachute pilot during the winter months in a warm place sounds great, working as a bush pilot or tourism pilot too sounds great. Even volunteer projects like pilots without borders all look like good, fun options, however they all seem to require 500 to 2000 hours TT and I will be somewhere between 200 - 250. My end goal is to make it to a Canadian airline like SW, WJ, AC, AT but dont mind if it takes 2 - 4 years to get there and actually prefer having those other steps along the way to enjoy and explore other places than my hometown.

Any suggestions or insights would be helpful and appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

ktrwcm2014
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: No job to first job

Post by ktrwcm2014 »

Hey I’m in the same boat as you.

CPL MIFR 250TT and I’ve been applying to literally every air operator in Canada yet nothing.

I believe the most likely answer you will get here is to get in your car and start driving, knock on doors and talk to CPs.

I would do it but I don’t know if doing a road trip will be of any use during the winter time so I’m gonna wait until spring. Plus my car sounds like it’s about die any moment now lol.

Curious as to what other suggestions you’ll get other than a road trip.

Good luck!

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

In an attempt to get that first foot in the door try and keep as many options available to you as possible. Instructing isn't for everyone, if your heart isn't in it and you don't have a lot of patience it will be a disservice to student's you're trying to teach. Going the bush/float route I think is great for getting a foot in the door and learning a WIDE variety of skills that add to personal development. Carpentry, dock building, mechanics, running the dock and learning how to keep the operation running smoothly. Lots of good stuff to learn plus the perks of being able to access some of the best remote fishing spots. In my opinion the ability to get on something small (super cub, 180/185, 172, 206 etc) to gain some experience, confidence, and PIC is valuable.
I went the roadtrip route when I got my first gig 180/dockhand. Lucked out and showed up at the right place at the right time. For that I left in early May as winter still had a solid grip on lakes. This time of year however might be a little harder to get a gig. Remember what sparked your interest in getting into this industry and try and head for that. Quite a few routes available out there for a first gig.

My 2 cents.

Cheers
DPB

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

ktrwcm2014 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm CPL MIFR 250TT and I’ve been applying to literally every air operator in Canada yet nothing.
Have you been following up with every one of them with a phone call at least?

ktrwcm2014
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ktrwcm2014 »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:41 pm
ktrwcm2014 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm CPL MIFR 250TT and I’ve been applying to literally every air operator in Canada yet nothing.
Have you been following up with every one of them with a phone call at least?
Not quite... What do you reckon is a good time to do a follow-up call? What would I even say? But at the same time, as much as I want the job, I feel like I'm bothering already busy people and being a hindrance to them...

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

ktrwcm2014 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:29 am Not quite... What do you reckon is a good time to do a follow-up call? What would I even say? But at the same time, as much as I want the job, I feel like I'm bothering already busy people and being a hindrance to them...
Well there's your problem. About a week call them back. You probably are bothering them, but you're also placing a name and a voice to a candidate/resume. I mean, how bad do you want the job?

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Make sure when you apply to an operator that you are honest with your expectations. On your cover letter, if you say that you're looking for a First Officer job, it may be seen as you're not ready to work you way up.

My words of wisdom: Go North!

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gaboy »

Wow, thanks for all of the insight.

I'm curious, ktrwcm2014, did you apply at all of those operators on pilotcareercentre that say they are hiring at 250TT?

I don't mind going the instructor route, but I prefer having some experience elsewhere before being an instructor… like paradropping in some remote location… like Belize, Guadeloupe, Costa Rica or any other similar place would be great, but not sure where to look up those jobs.

Sea to Sky air with 250hrs min on a C172 in BC seems like a great option… but not sure if they call back.

I not quite in the same boat as you are more advanced, but will be exactly where you are in just a couple months, so yeah… trying to plan ahead for the parts I can.

Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Fri May 17, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pepsi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pepsi »

gaboy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am Hi AvCanada,

I am looking for several ways to get started in aviation as a pilot. I will soon be getting my CPL and am wondering what the possibilities are other than instructor, working the ramp or paying for my time. I know being an instructor is a good way to go, but am looking at other possibilities.

I am willing to relocate anywhere in the world and speak a few languages, but am a Canadian citizen without any special privileges to work in other countries. Working as a parachute pilot during the winter months in a warm place sounds great, working as a bush pilot or tourism pilot too sounds great. Even volunteer projects like pilots without borders all look like good, fun options, however they all seem to require 500 to 2000 hours TT and I will be somewhere between 200 - 250. My end goal is to make it to a Canadian airline like SW, WJ, AC, AT but dont mind if it takes 2 - 4 years to get there and actually prefer having those other steps along the way to enjoy and explore other places than my hometown.

Any suggestions or insights would be helpful and appreciated.
From my experiences the best shot for a low timer to get a job it's to create your own company, send resume to yourself and prey for a positive answer.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

From my experiences the best shot for a low timer to get a job it's to create your own company, send resume to yourself and prey for a positive answer.

And if your understanding of English is like the above poster get someone to proof read your application.

pepsi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pepsi »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:59 pm And if your understanding of English is like the above poster get someone to proof read your application.
Si tu veux partir sur le terrain de la langue, je me permet de te préciser que dans un Canada officiellement bilingue je devrais être censé pourvoir envoyer mes cv en français et ces derniers devraient pourvoir être compris par le recruteur.
Bon bien sur on en est loin, par contre des qu'il s’agit pour un anglophone de voler en anglais au Québec, la pas de soucis, donc ce genre de commentaire je te laisse imaginer ou tu peux te les mettre !

Return to “Employment Forum”