Westjet...the cheap.....

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Westjet...the cheap.....

Post by trey kule »

Westjet. The company expanding to become an international airline! The folks who changed pax to guest. And human resources to the people department.
Who keep their department of creative fees and surcharges off the radar, so as not to have consumers think they are trying to confuse them.
And who fill at least three of six customer service stations at peak times so their guests only have to stand in line for 45 mins to then be told how Westjet will do everything possible to get their luggage on board, and then tell them it is their fault for being late.

But this. This is the best. To cheap to pay AvCanada to post an ad.

Says more about how the new, improved Westjet is going to treat you.

Its all about money. And Westjet is giving all you new FOs a heads up.
No more 4000 minimum total time. But expect 10 years plus in the right seat, at right seat pay..oops. Didn’t they mention that in their ad?

Read quick...I expect it willbe deleted.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by trey kule on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet...the cheap.....

Post by Schooner69A »

Why would it be deleted?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The free job ads section is there for the benefit of the Avcanada members trey kule.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

My mistake. So free job...ads, does not refer to WJ’s salary offer? :smt040

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Ok what is the deal with Westet/Swoops pay anyway? Do pilots get paid the same now for Swoop and Mainline or no? From their add today, it says they are opening the hiring to OTS for mainline/swoop, like they have done many times in the past. If you apply to this posting, will you be Westjet mainline FO or will you be swoop? Can anyone clarify if the Westjet strike did in fact assure Swoop pilots to be on par with Westjets pay?

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 pm Ok what is the deal with Westet/Swoops pay anyway? Do pilots get paid the same now for Swoop and Mainline or no? From their add today, it says they are opening the hiring to OTS for mainline/swoop, like they have done many times in the past. If you apply to this posting, will you be Westjet mainline FO or will you be swoop? Can anyone clarify if the Westjet strike did in fact assure Swoop pilots to be on par with Westjets pay?
WJ didn't strike. That opportunity is long gone. Now instead of a strike WJ pilots have a disgraceful B scale cemented in the CA.

The short answer is No. Swoop pilots will not even be close to WJ pay.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

So the WJ guys that went over to the left seat at Swoop...are they making less than mainline left seat?

Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hozer »

Yes

Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hozer »

Yes

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Hangry wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:33 pm
FOD_Vacuum wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 pm Ok what is the deal with Westet/Swoops pay anyway? Do pilots get paid the same now for Swoop and Mainline or no? From their add today, it says they are opening the hiring to OTS for mainline/swoop, like they have done many times in the past. If you apply to this posting, will you be Westjet mainline FO or will you be swoop? Can anyone clarify if the Westjet strike did in fact assure Swoop pilots to be on par with Westjets pay?
WJ didn't strike. That opportunity is long gone. Now instead of a strike WJ pilots have a disgraceful B scale cemented in the CA.

The short answer is No. Swoop pilots will not even be close to WJ pay.
Does that mean that the "threat to strike"-actions didn't achieve anything?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Just heard that Westjet pilots are pissed after the latest deal. 2% pay raise only, their sick days were unlimited, but not anymore and may be limited, and heard about reserve being a real thing there. Swoop is also allowed 30 planes now...? What kind of backwards step is this? Some kind of deal they met on the bargaining table a few months ago, as long as westjet pilots get to fill the seats?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I guess management sure played the pilots for suckers. All that battling over the ots Swoop pilots and Mainline ends up doing the swoop flying at a pay loss. At least you got to keep the flying 🙄
Continue the downward spiral!

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:16 am Just heard that Westjet pilots are pissed after the latest deal. 2% pay raise only, their sick days were unlimited, but not anymore and may be limited, and heard about reserve being a real thing there. Swoop is also allowed 30 planes now...? What kind of backwards step is this? Some kind of deal they met on the bargaining table a few months ago, as long as westjet pilots get to fill the seats?
Indeed! WJ pilots made a fatal mistake; they assumed that because WJ has not dealt with a union for over 20 years that they didn't know how to deal with a union. Naive at best; the pilots were stickhandled, once again, by superior negotiators and big business. Played like a fiddle, right from the beginning. WJ requested binding arbitration from ALPA back in September 2017 and ALPA denied the request, so WJ played the long game, countered all of ALPA's measures in stride and ended up with binding arbitration a year later anyway. Brillant!

At least we got an ALPA folder on our EFB's now! HAHAHA!! Awesome!

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

So are the expecting a mass exodus or what? Why the almost Encore time requirements? Or do we think no one is actually getting hired on with those mins? What about encore flow?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Pretty sure the Westjet is just there for decorum. I think, though I could be wrong, that OTS is dead for Westjet for the time being. But maybe enough Encore pilots are finding greener pastures elsewhere and Westjet needs fresh blood to flow through.

The only consolation for Swoop are the upgrade times or the possibility of DEC if you come with some heavy jet time, but good god at what cost?

Westjet was one of the reasons why I started flying, but now that I meet the requirements I have zero desire to go there.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:44 pm Westjet was one of the reasons why I started flying, but now that I meet the requirements I have zero desire to go there.
Hey aviation newbies, write that one down somewhere that you’ll see it a lot. Replace WestJet with just blanks because it’s an ever changing industry and your goal today may not be something you really want by the time you can seize it. Stay fluid, don’t be totally blinded by your ambitions from yesterday.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Well... to be fair that was back at the turn of the century when they were still a scrappy upstart primarily flying -200s but just getting their first NGs... hiring and upgrading very fast, and suffering almost none of the post 9/11 and high fuel price woes the other carriers were.

About 5 years later was when their image started to fray, as I was working on installing Live TV on their new NGs, contributing to their first ever quarterly loss, and as they expanded to international flying which was strictly against the Southwest model. It’s been mostly downhill since then.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “Employment Forum”