Cathay Looking For Canadians

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Cathay Looking For Canadians

Post by Blueontop »

Is Cathay only hiring SO or are they also hiring FOs as well?
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

According to the site they hire F/O's as well but for either it's a 7 year bond and they deduct your pay for it.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm According to the site they hire F/O's as well but for either it's a 7 year bond and they deduct your pay for it.
I think it's a 7 year prorated payback on the big signing bonus they give you to help you get set up in HKG... If you leave in 3.5 years you pay half back.

What is it? $30K or $40K? Everyone I know banked the majority of it.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

If thata the case, it's not well explained

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:24 pm If thata the case, it's not well explained
I didn't read anything. That's just what my friends at CX told me.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Fair enough. Still amounts to the same thing right? It's a 7 year agreement, and they deduct it off your pay. Even if it's paying back a bonus.

andy.air
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by andy.air »

MarkyMark90 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am
Dingbatt wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:08 am after a logbook filled with 4 years of SO P2X time which isn't even worth the paper its written on.
4 years and you’re still not upgradable as a FO ?
4 years is pretty common to be an SO in the past (from chats with some of the FOs there), and I don't believe there is a single SO who has gone past 5 years yet (granted, some have upgraded with way less). The P2X rating is only valid for 5 years per Hong Kong's authority, and I think the only way to get around this is if the airline makes you redo the training (which is probably more expensive than just upgrading you), or just finds some way to circumvent this limitation.

This all said, the current climate at CX can be described as quite murky with an uncertain future. The airline underwent some rather illogical cost-cutting measures. They are crewing 2 SOs for some of their long haul flights now, which means delayed upgrades in upwards towards the 5 year mark for the prospective SO (lower demand for FOs, and higher demand for SOs). There has not been a collective/tentative agreement between the union and the company for about half a decade now, with a recent agreement falling through. New joiners post December 2018 are also on a new contract that is degraded (D-Scale), and no one on the A through C scale are too happy about it. Cadets have to pay half their training now (through salary dedications), although you might get a pass if you join as a direct-entry SO. Unless some of these policies are reversed, it may be turbulent times ahead.
Fair enough. Still amounts to the same thing right? It's a 7 year agreement, and they deduct it off your pay. Even if it's paying back a bonus.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a such a long bond anymore unless you do a full cadetship, which you probably won't be doing without a Hong Kong permanent residence anyways. To my knowledge, they offer some smaller loans now which you can take or leave to get you set up in Hong Kong. If you don't take it, your bond is only as long as the cost to get you converted.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I figured it was only for the cadets but unfortunately straight from their website it's for cadets, direct entry so, and for.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

My mistake. It wasn't Cathay it was Singapore.

Bond
Successful candidates will be required to serve the employer company for the duration of the training and for a period of seven years from the date of appointment as First Officer.

For ab initio, direct so or fo. 7 years doesn't even kick in till FO upgrade though.

Dingbatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingbatt »

. . . The P2X rating is only valid for 5 years per Hong Kong's authority. . . or just finds some way to circumvent this limitation. . . .The airline underwent some rather illogical cost-cutting measures. They are crewing 2 SOs for some of their long haul flights now
And thats just the thing, they have found a way. 5 years is an arbitrary limit anyways, but now new SOs get a P1X (still not P1) rating. Its all part of a plan to restructure the airline from 1CN 2FO 1SO Long haul to 1CN 1FO 2SO Long haul. Therefore, they need fewer FOs and more SOs. So upgrade times are at the 5 year mark right now, but if anything it will increase or best case it remains the same. There are plenty of cadets joining with 0 hours, so they'll have more than enough recruits. It just saves cathay a bit of cash if you join with a CPL that YOU paid for, rather than a cadet who haid his/hers paid for by Cathay :smt021

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:55 pm My mistake. It wasn't Cathay it was Singapore.

Bond
Successful candidates will be required to serve the employer company for the duration of the training and for a period of seven years from the date of appointment as First Officer.

For ab initio, direct so or fo. 7 years doesn't even kick in till FO upgrade though.
Does Singapore even hire expats anymore? I thought they kicked them all out at one point.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Maybe not in actuality, but on paper yes. Only one that openly says for Singapore residents is cadet.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

How is it to be a SO/RP... I mean, the joy of flying is to perform takeoff and landing for most of us. Doesn’t it get boring after a while of just “monitoring” the AP, even on a 777 ?

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
andy.air
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by andy.air »

Dingbatt wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm

. . . The P2X rating is only valid for 5 years per Hong Kong's authority. . . or just finds some way to circumvent this limitation. . . .The airline underwent some rather illogical cost-cutting measures. They are crewing 2 SOs for some of their long haul flights now
And thats just the thing, they have found a way. 5 years is an arbitrary limit anyways, but now new SOs get a P1X (still not P1) rating. Its all part of a plan to restructure the airline from 1CN 2FO 1SO Long haul to 1CN 1FO 2SO Long haul. Therefore, they need fewer FOs and more SOs. So upgrade times are at the 5 year mark right now, but if anything it will increase or best case it remains the same. There are plenty of cadets joining with 0 hours, so they'll have more than enough recruits. It just saves cathay a bit of cash if you join with a CPL that YOU paid for, rather than a cadet who haid his/hers paid for by Cathay :smt021
Dingbatt, do you know anyone who has physically received a P1X rating recently? I legitimately want to know, as I posed this question up the grapevine once several months back, and most of the guys thought it was more of a Cathay thing than an actual rating (since there is neither reference of a P1X at HKCAD's site, nor is there reference in ops D).

You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

MarkyMark90 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm How is it to be a SO/RP... I mean, the joy of flying is to perform takeoff and landing for most of us. Doesn’t it get boring after a while of just “monitoring” the AP, even on a 777 ?
I believe when you have flown professionally long enough, the joy for many of this career is being able to spend time with family and pursue your other interests.

I dedicated a lot of years to flying before the airlines and in the airlines, countless sectors/take-offs/landings - I could care less. As much money as possible for as little time away... that's the formula for me... joy? meh...

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

altiplano wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:20 pm joy? meh...
Some of us are still excited to the feeling of flying, even at 60. We're not all like you :)

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Okay... have fun in your Twotter FO Caribbean job at 60... probably right up your alley then...

I like my job fine enough, I like my home life better though and when I want to have fun and be excited in an aircraft I'll buy my own plane.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If Cx wants Canadians, it's probably because they know we're suckers who will work for no money, will always accept worse wawcon, and won't complain.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

co-joe wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:01 pm If Cx wants Canadians, it's probably because they know we're suckers who will work for no money, will always accept worse wawcon, and won't complain.
Bingo!!!!

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Dingbatt wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:08 am
Boreas wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:57 pm If the choice is between Jazz and Cathay, as it stands right now and assuming your relatively young and single, Cathay wins hands down.

That being said, the geopolitical situation in Asia doesn't have the best outlook. One can easily end up having to "retreat" to Canada after 5 years as an SO at Cathay... without any additional flight experience to show for it...
I completely disagree. 4 years have gone by for me at Cathay and not going to Jazz was a disastrous mistake. When I was hired, Jazz wouldn't look at me, but now it seems Jazz are recruiting much more. Its far more money at Cathay; but it doesn't go very far in HK. I'm desperately trying to get back to Canada, after a logbook filled with 4 years of SO P2X time which isn't even worth the paper its written on. Plus, if you got hired now you'd be on the new contract.

Everyone can make their own decisions, but there is plenty of info on PPrne for reasons pilots are pouring out of Cathay.
Just my opinion, but I think you should weight in the life experience gained by living abroad and having layovers all over the world a little more - I presume you are young and single as that was the premise of my statement.

Regional flying at Jazz, followed by glorified regional flying at AC (E190/A320) isn't exactly the pinnacle of aviation that some on this forum would have you believe.

Return to “Employment Forum”