CMA vs PASCO

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

CMA vs PASCO

Post by Hilroy »

Let's start a debate here... Which operator should I go if I have the choice between those 2 on the B1900?
---------- ADS -----------

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: CMA vs PASCO

Post by skybaron »

Easy.

Jazz or Encore. Any experience will do apparently.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Jazz and Encore is hiring 250 hrs pilots out of integrated programs only... Otherwise, you need to be north of 700 hours...

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

MarkyMark90 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:17 pm Jazz and Encore is hiring 250 hrs pilots out of integrated programs only... Otherwise, you need to be north of 700 hours...
Erroneous. They've been interviewing 500 and below for a while. Who knows if you'd actually get hired below 500.. but worth a shot.

As for the original question? Pasco. Hands down.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'd go to Pasco... if you can get them to call you back...

I remember I really wanted to work there and I tried really hard for years and years... But I could never get the CP to return my calls, or reply to my email, or come out of the office to see me when I came by... let alone get an interview... Radio silence was all.

I laughed, they must have pulled my resume out of the woodwork or been really desperate at some point maybe 7 or 8 years ago or so, it had been YEARS since I had stopped applying, and they emailed me for an interview, but I had moved on in my career by that point.

Maybe things there have changed and they will call you back now... Pilot shortage and all...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

skybaron wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 pm Easy.

Haha came here to say this. Why the @#$! would anyone go to a 704 when you can get hired at any 705 regional with a heart beat.

Last edited by Lightchop on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am

Haha came here to say this. Why the @#$! would anyone go to a 704 when you can get hired at any 795 regional with a heart beat.
Not true.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Haha came here to say this. Why the @#$! would anyone go to a 704 when you can get hired at any 795 regional with a heart beat.
Not true.

You don't count

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There are some 704s that pay better than 705 regionals, and in some cases even 705 mainline. At least in the right seat.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am Why the @#$! would anyone go to a 704 when you can get hired at any 705 regional with a heart beat.
Pasco (Saab 340), and CMA (Dash8, Dornier 328) are both 705 certificate holders...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Yeah you know what I meant.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Well by looks of CMAs add, they don’t require an ATPL for B1900 captains. Pasco does require you to have an ATPL as per their COM. So if you wanted to multi turbine pic time without an ATPL and live on the coast, CMA is your best bet.

Pasco allows you to live anywhere in their network and commute conformed for free.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm Yeah you know what I meant.
No, I guess I don't.

Dash 8 here vs. Dash 8 there?

Dispatched, 705 rules, comparable pay at all of them I suppose give or take...

Pasco is Westjet's tier 3 carrier now, aren't they? CMA used to be a tier 3 at AC...

I'd rather fly a Saab at Pasco and commute for free from somewhere up the coast than go to Encore...

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm Yeah you know what I meant.
No, I guess I don't.

Dash 8 here vs. Dash 8 there?

Dispatched, 705 rules, comparable pay at all of them I suppose give or take...

Pasco is Westjet's tier 3 carrier now, aren't they? CMA used to be a tier 3 at AC...

I'd rather fly a Saab at Pasco and commute for free from somewhere up the coast than go to Encore...
From the OP:
Let's start a debate here... Which operator should I go if I have the choice between those 2 on the B1900?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

So it's why go on a 1900 when you can fly a Dash8.

It used to be so hard to get a job on either! But true, I'd go on a Dash over a Beech.

But if it had to be a Beech, a 705 operator and the best 705 machine advancement down the tunnel is preferable...

So in that spirit... Pasco has more 705 machines than CMA so, on numbers alone, that may be a statistically higher advancement opportunity. Although perhaps a Dornier or a Dash is a nicer machine than a Saab and with 2 fleets that possibly provides other opportunity... Dash8 is the most useful type rating of the 3 IMO.

One thing's for sure... Nice to have choices these days!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Pasco is the best choice, hands down. Not even close.

Although I’ve never applied with them, I’ve heard a lot of DEC applicants with 4000+ hrs applied and never heard back, not sure if it’s the same for FOs.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

altiplano wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:30 am So it's why go on a 1900 when you can fly a Dash8.

It used to be so hard to get a job on either! But true, I'd go on a Dash over a Beech.

But if it had to be a Beech, a 705 operator and the best 705 machine advancement down the tunnel is preferable...

So in that spirit... Pasco has more 705 machines than CMA so, on numbers alone, that may be a statistically higher advancement opportunity. Although perhaps a Dornier or a Dash is a nicer machine than a Saab and with 2 fleets that possibly provides other opportunity... Dash8 is the most useful type rating of the 3 IMO.

Maybe it's a 200-hour pilot who has offers for those positions on the 1900, but not on 705 aircraft, let alone the hours for a two-crew type rating. Maybe it's a retiree who has a lot of experience on the 1900 and genuinely misses flying it; I know one of the latter who has no interest in moving up to a 705 machine.
If the OP asked about a Beaver job, would you tell them not to bother, and to focus on AC or Transat instead? I just think it's kind of patronizing to assume that they aren't aware of the state of the industry, and that they're asking about 1900s out of ignorance.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd rather fly a 1900 than a Saab. They're flying them in the mountains, just take a look at single engine performance and you'll understand why.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Diadem wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm
altiplano wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:30 am So it's why go on a 1900 when you can fly a Dash8.

Maybe it's a 200-hour pilot who has offers for those positions on the 1900, but not on 705 aircraft, let alone the hours for a two-crew type rating. Maybe it's a retiree who has a lot of experience on the 1900 and genuinely misses flying it; I know one of the latter who has no interest in moving up to a 705 machine.
If the OP asked about a Beaver job, would you tell them not to bother, and to focus on AC or Transat instead? I just think it's kind of patronizing to assume that they aren't aware of the state of the industry, and that they're asking about 1900s out of ignorance.
The OP wanted a debate, a discussion, and I didn't bring up 705 operators or machines... rather, I replied to someone else's post on it...
altiplano wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am Why the @#$! would anyone go to a 704 when you can get hired at any 705 regional with a heart beat.
Pasco (Saab 340), and CMA (Dash8, Dornier 328) are both 705 certificate holders...
Besides, advancement on other types may be part of the debate. As I said " In that spirit".

The OP left little to know where he/she is coming from and what their goals in a position may be... but most people - the vast majority -considering an FO seat at these operators are in earlier stages trying to build a career...

Do you not need the same 250 and IATRA/ATP written to get a type on a 1900 or a dash? did something change?

Looking at both these companies websites they have the same requirements for all FO positions 1900 or 705 machine... and both require IATRA or ATP written for all FO positions.

So don't come on here and start calling me patronising or putting words in my mouth. I thought my first reply to you was nice enough, and this is a discussion. Don't be a dick.

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Haha came here to say this. Why the @#$! would anyone go to a 704 when you can get hired at any 705 regional with a heart beat.
They have my resume, but they haven't called yet... This is why I'm looking at those 2 guys in the west...

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.

Return to “Employment Forum”