Encore vs Porter

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Encore vs Porter

Post by C-GGGQ »

Porter seems to have a good mix of pairings. I believe its max 5 legs on a max 4 day pairing. But you can find 1,2,3,4 day pairings.
---------- ADS -----------

vxvy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vxvy »

Thanks for the info C-GGGQ

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

ive heard Encore can be rough, but POE survivors at my current shop still talk about YTZ PTSD.

that place is a gong show - get your 500 hrs 705 PIC and move along

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

Third year Porter FO salary is irrelevant. If the upgrades continue at anything like the present rate, you won't be in the right seat for more than 1.5 years.

I enjoy the lifestyle at Porter at the moment as a mid-pack FO. It's a mix of 1-4 day pairings, max 6 legs per day (and 6 is pretty rare; I rarely do more than 5, and the average probably comes to 3-3.5 for me). Due to the island curfew, there are no crazy early mornings and no late nights. I rarely find myself tired; in fact, I feel like I barely ever work (airline life is so eeeeeeasyyyyy), which is not what I hear about Encore.

The pilots are a good bunch, everyone wants to do a good job and people generally follow the SOPs etc. From what I hear about Encore, it's a much more "cowboy"-type mentality over there, which to me personally is not at all appealing.

There is no union, but from what I heard from more senior colleagues, this actually is an incentive for the management to treat pilots well. So that we don't feel the need to unionize due to hostile management practices.

YTZ was a complete mess for the last two summers with impossible gate wait times etc, but I think they've learned from those lessons, and things are improving. We'll see what the season holds. It's a cool place to land at; and it will really keep your flying sharp. Landing the Q at any other airport becomes SO EASY!! :)

Overall, my vote would go for Porter.

Return to “Employment Forum”