Current Carson Pay for 350 captain?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Current Carson Pay for 350 captain?

Post by The5chord »

What’s the latest on Carson? Can you get more than the 100k required to live in Vancouver to start? Seems like they are requiring a fair amount of experience. Anyone know when the next Medevac contract is coming up?
---------- ADS -----------

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Current Carson Pay for 350 captain?

Post by wordstwice »

Carson is still stuck in the dark ages with regards to pay and benefits. You won’t get anywhere close to 100k on the Kingair.

You will get the benefit of paying for your own medicals and a luxurious 6 days of vacation after you finish one year of service though.

I’ve never worked there but fly with a guy who did and was very happy to leave.

Last I heard the contract will come up for renewal in about a year.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Pretty sure it's 80K for the BE3B captain. Fine for YLW, but no so much for YVR, which is why we haven't seen a YLW captain job come up in the past year but the YVR one seems to go unfilled. I haven't talked to anyone in the FW medevac world there for a few years but it used to be a 4 on 4 off job, 7 am to 7 pm only. Could be a pretty darn good lifestyle if you could afford to live.
The average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment in Vancouver jumped 2.4 per cent last month to $2,100 per month, according to the latest Canadian rankings released by PadMapper.
So literally half your wage would go to rent, by the time you buy food, gas, utilities, insurance, etc you're broke.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

350 Capt at Carson is above 80k. Above 90 for training capt. The YLW gig is an amazing job with an amazing schedule, top notch crews, day time only, sleep in your own bed 95% of the time. 4 on/5 off with the odd call day. Maintenance is absolutely tip top as opposed to the cargo side of the business. There is a reason there has been very very very little movement on the Capt side of the YLW base. YVR is different of course but then again, you'll still make same money as a 350 capt at Carson out of YVR than you would as a b scale Jazz skipper so you'd be broke either way.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

Does the 35k bond still exist?

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

85k to start.

4 on 4 off rotating days and nights. Unlike YLW which is only days. No premium for night shift. 12-14 hours.

No sick days. (Can anyone confirm this? It can't be)

No rrsp basically.

Medicals are paid. Passports are paid. Perdiem is 30 bucks a day.

There is a jet. Not easy to move to the jet, but they will let you fly both for a minimal wage increase.

I recommend you go fly the 350 in YLW if you wanna work at Carson. The compensation isn't worth the night shifts.

All this info is 2nd and 3rd hand, but from reliable sources. Can anyone confirm?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Duukar wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 pm 85k to start.

4 on 4 off rotating days and nights. Unlike YLW which is only days. No premium for night shift. 12-14 hours.

No rrsp basically.

There is a jet. Not easy to move to the jet, but they will let you fly both for a minimal wage increase.

I recommend you go fly the 350 in YLW if you wanna work at Carson. The compensation isn't worth the night shifts.

All this info is 2nd and 3rd hand, but from reliable sources. Can anyone confirm?
This is actually pretty accurate. The no sick day thing is, unless it’s changed recently, no paid sick days, but you can use bank stats or shift trade. It’s a dumb BS policy and one that they should truly reconsider if they want to keep their guys in YVR. Otherwise, great gig, much better than the regionals.

Also the night plane doesn’t fly as much as it used to. Every once in a while they don’t even get a call for the whole night. The YVR base only really fly 400-500hr a year as opposed to the YLW base which is 850-950.

You might not be able to get first hand comments because technically everyone who works there signs a NDA and aren’t allowed to discuss company stuff on the social medias.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:16 pm
Duukar wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 pm 85k to start.

No rrsp basically.

This is actually pretty accurate. The no sick day thing is, unless it’s changed recently, no paid sick days, but you can use bank stats or shift trade. It’s a dumb BS policy and one that they should truly reconsider if they want to keep their guys in YVR. Otherwise, great gig, much better than the regionals.

Also the night plane doesn’t fly as much as it used to. Every once in a while they don’t even get a call for the whole night. The YVR base only really fly 400-500hr a year as opposed to the YLW base which is 850-950.

You might not be able to get first hand comments because technically everyone who works there signs a NDA and aren’t allowed to discuss company stuff on the social medias.
It's odd when most employers are putting all their info in the add to attract workers. From what I understand the pay has increased dramatically across all their machines. I feel like they should post some info because I'm sure the truth is better than the rumors flying around out here. If there are weaknesses they should be easily addressed and fixed.

The feeling I get is that the guys there who stay long term are happy. The ones who aren't, have no issue moving on to the airlines or whatever. You will find former Carson pilots everywhere.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

The5chord wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:18 am Does the 35k bond still exist?
Sure does.

And I understand that it's due and payable even if they terminate your employment. A very ugly position to be in. I can accept it being due if one resigns, but not this.

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

Now they have adds up for every machine in their fleet....

I wonder why they can't hold on to staff?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

$35k. I wonder what Hollywood accounting they came up with for that?

With BCAS minimums being well into what you can get hired on with Encore or Jazz, why would anyone bother?

In today’s market, cross out the relevant passages, and get them to initial next to them.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “Employment Forum”