FlyCats

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

FlyCats

Post by MrAviator19 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 am

http://www.flycats.ca/

Any current info regarding WAWCON in this company?

Much appreciated. :D

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
schnitzel2k3
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by schnitzel2k3 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Nice new equipment.

Weird management!

Huge bonds, below industry standard wages, and no ability to develop any sort of long term plan with this operation. It is a millionaires toy box so he and his son can fly his G280 as "Captain" while someone sits in the right seat and puts out all the fires. They run some charter to offset the overall cost.

They do it this way because no smart management company will take on the risk that this operation represents.

Strong avoid recommendation.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Sat May 25, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by MrAviator19 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:45 am

schnitzel2k3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Nice new equipment.

Weird management!

Huge bonds, below industry standard wages, and no ability to develop any sort of long term plan with this operation. It is a millionaires toy box so he and his son can fly his G280 as a "Captain" while someone sits in the right seat and puts out all the fires. They run some charter to offset the overall cost.

They do it this way because no smart management company will take on the risk that this operation represents.

Strong avoid recommendation.
Thanks for the info!

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Intensity in Ten Cities.

Re: FlyCats

Post by CL-Skadoo! » Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am

FlyDogs and I’ll pay the bond. Cats are kinda jerks. I can be picky at this stage of my career.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
schnitzel2k3
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by schnitzel2k3 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:43 pm

CL-Skadoo! wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am
FlyDogs and I’ll pay the bond. Cats are kinda jerks. I can be picky at this stage of my career.
Stay picky.

S.
---------- ADS -----------
  

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by flyingjerry » Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am

schnitzel2k3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Nice new equipment.

Weird management!

Huge bonds, below industry standard wages, and no ability to develop any sort of long term plan with this operation. It is a millionaires toy box so he and his son can fly his G280 as "Captain" while someone sits in the right seat and puts out all the fires. They run some charter to offset the overall cost.

They do it this way because no smart management company will take on the risk that this operation represents.

Strong avoid recommendation.
This is a very negative opinion of CATS, and clearly one from someone who has never worked at, nor talked with anyone in the operation.

Huge Bonds - Why don't you call up FlightSafety and see what a Transport Canada Initial is going to cost for a G280? No money is expected up front. Committing to work for a few years in exchange for a great type should be the consideration, not the cost of leaving. Why leave, and not uphold your side of the bargain.

Working Conditions - The company looks after you, period. The hotels and per diems are fantastic. Not to mention, the destinations on the jet can be pretty exciting. Benefits are fully paid for and are top notch.

Flight Experience - Although this is not a place to rapidly build hours, the equipment is almost brand new, well kept and grooming is always taken care of. The hours you do get are extremely valuable. Every day is different, and it's exciting to be exposed to how airports and airspace changes internationally, while operating a high performance aircraft.

If you are interested in the operation, you can always email them. There is a email address listed on the website. AvCanada has always been rumours and never been a reliable source of information.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Intensity in Ten Cities.

Re: FlyCats

Post by CL-Skadoo! » Fri May 31, 2019 11:06 am

flyingjerry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am
The hours you do get are extremely valuable.
Put my kids through university valuable? Or stepping stone to the next piece of tin valuable?
The hours we give are extremely valuable too. Or at least they're supposed to be.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
schnitzel2k3
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by schnitzel2k3 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 pm

flyingjerry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Nice new equipment.

Weird management!

Huge bonds, below industry standard wages, and no ability to develop any sort of long term plan with this operation. It is a millionaires toy box so he and his son can fly his G280 as "Captain" while someone sits in the right seat and puts out all the fires. They run some charter to offset the overall cost.

They do it this way because no smart management company will take on the risk that this operation represents.

Strong avoid recommendation.
This is a very negative opinion of CATS, and clearly one from someone who has never worked at, nor talked with anyone in the operation.

Huge Bonds - Why don't you call up FlightSafety and see what a Transport Canada Initial is going to cost for a G280? No money is expected up front. Committing to work for a few years in exchange for a great type should be the consideration, not the cost of leaving. Why leave, and not uphold your side of the bargain.

Working Conditions - The company looks after you, period. The hotels and per diems are fantastic. Not to mention, the destinations on the jet can be pretty exciting. Benefits are fully paid for and are top notch.

Flight Experience - Although this is not a place to rapidly build hours, the equipment is almost brand new, well kept and grooming is always taken care of. The hours you do get are extremely valuable. Every day is different, and it's exciting to be exposed to how airports and airspace changes internationally, while operating a high performance aircraft.

If you are interested in the operation, you can always email them. There is a email address listed on the website. AvCanada has always been rumours and never been a reliable source of information.
You must be that young guy in the right seat whose fresh out of flight school and who transitioned from the King Air to the G280. Glad you are having a better experience and that would explain why you are so adamant it's a fantastic place to work. Most of the guys I know were experienced and grew tired of the constant over promise and undeliver, change on a whim attitude of the organization, not to mention the railroading of certain previous flight crew.

Care to share the current salary, vacation and on call schedule if you are going to come on here and tell me I'm so wrong?

Last I saw on the G150s, at the time their biggest aircraft, the salary in the right was being sold as 45k, left was under 100k. The Premiers were pretty bad too. That's 30k short of market for those aircraft. Bonds were north of 60k USD for the 150 - that's large Falcon type rating territory.

I did say, right away, nice new equipment. That's sbout all they have had going for them.

I would never stop anyone from going in an assesing the place, but there are much better options to spend your finite time.

S.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by flyingjerry » Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm

schnitzel2k3 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 pm
flyingjerry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm
Nice new equipment.

Weird management!

Huge bonds, below industry standard wages, and no ability to develop any sort of long term plan with this operation. It is a millionaires toy box so he and his son can fly his G280 as "Captain" while someone sits in the right seat and puts out all the fires. They run some charter to offset the overall cost.

They do it this way because no smart management company will take on the risk that this operation represents.

Strong avoid recommendation.
This is a very negative opinion of CATS, and clearly one from someone who has never worked at, nor talked with anyone in the operation.

Huge Bonds - Why don't you call up FlightSafety and see what a Transport Canada Initial is going to cost for a G280? No money is expected up front. Committing to work for a few years in exchange for a great type should be the consideration, not the cost of leaving. Why leave, and not uphold your side of the bargain.

Working Conditions - The company looks after you, period. The hotels and per diems are fantastic. Not to mention, the destinations on the jet can be pretty exciting. Benefits are fully paid for and are top notch.

Flight Experience - Although this is not a place to rapidly build hours, the equipment is almost brand new, well kept and grooming is always taken care of. The hours you do get are extremely valuable. Every day is different, and it's exciting to be exposed to how airports and airspace changes internationally, while operating a high performance aircraft.

If you are interested in the operation, you can always email them. There is a email address listed on the website. AvCanada has always been rumours and never been a reliable source of information.
You must be that young guy in the right seat whose fresh out of flight school who transitioned from the King Air to the G280. Glad you are having a better experience and that would explain why you are so adamant it's a fantastic place to work. Most of the guys I know were experienced and grew tired of the constant over promise and undeliver, change on a whim attitude of the organization, not to mention the railroading of certain previous flight crew.

Care to share the current salary, vacation and on call schedule if you are going to come on here and tell me I'm so wrong?

Last I saw on the G150s, at the time their biggest aircraft, the salary in the right was being sold as 45k, left was under 100k. The Premiers were pretty bad too. That's 30k short of market for those aircraft. Bonds were north of 60k USD for the 150 - that's large Falcon type rating territory.

I did say, right away, nice new equipment. That's sbout all they have had going for them.

I would never stop anyone from going in an assesing the place, but there are much better options to spend your finite time.

S.
Didn't know that my career was common knowledge. I'm not going to publicly share my contract however, in negotiations they have been nothing but professional.

I still don't understand how the size of a bond matters. If the cost of bailing out early is a large factor when deciding whether or not to accept a job offer, then it probably isn't the right job for whoever is applying. Especially in the current market, it's understandable for any company to expect a return on their investment.

Like many corporate jobs, it's an on-call flexible schedule. That's just the nature of the position. Again, when away from base the treatment is top notch. Anyone who is looking for a scheduled airline style career would be doing themselves a disservice getting into any type of corporate job.

At least we agree that the best way to find out current information about any company is to be in direct contact with them, rather than a forum full of rumours.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by flyingjerry on Fri May 31, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
schnitzel2k3
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: FlyCats

Post by schnitzel2k3 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:22 pm

flyingjerry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 pm
flyingjerry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am


This is a very negative opinion of CATS, and clearly one from someone who has never worked at, nor talked with anyone in the operation.

Huge Bonds - Why don't you call up FlightSafety and see what a Transport Canada Initial is going to cost for a G280? No money is expected up front. Committing to work for a few years in exchange for a great type should be the consideration, not the cost of leaving. Why leave, and not uphold your side of the bargain.

Working Conditions - The company looks after you, period. The hotels and per diems are fantastic. Not to mention, the destinations on the jet can be pretty exciting. Benefits are fully paid for and are top notch.

Flight Experience - Although this is not a place to rapidly build hours, the equipment is almost brand new, well kept and grooming is always taken care of. The hours you do get are extremely valuable. Every day is different, and it's exciting to be exposed to how airports and airspace changes internationally, while operating a high performance aircraft.

If you are interested in the operation, you can always email them. There is a email address listed on the website. AvCanada has always been rumours and never been a reliable source of information.
You must be that young guy in the right seat whose fresh out of flight school who transitioned from the King Air to the G280. Glad you are having a better experience and that would explain why you are so adamant it's a fantastic place to work. Most of the guys I know were experienced and grew tired of the constant over promise and undeliver, change on a whim attitude of the organization, not to mention the railroading of certain previous flight crew.

Care to share the current salary, vacation and on call schedule if you are going to come on here and tell me I'm so wrong?

Last I saw on the G150s, at the time their biggest aircraft, the salary in the right was being sold as 45k, left was under 100k. The Premiers were pretty bad too. That's 30k short of market for those aircraft. Bonds were north of 60k USD for the 150 - that's large Falcon type rating territory.

I did say, right away, nice new equipment. That's sbout all they have had going for them.

I would never stop anyone from going in an assesing the place, but there are much better options to spend your finite time.

S.
I still don't understand how the size of a bond matters. If the cost of bailing out early is a large factor when deciding whether or not to accept a job offer, then it probably isn't the ride job for whoever is applying. Especially in the current market, it's understandable for any company to expect a return on their investment.
When the bond greatly exceeds the salary to lock in a flightcrew member whether they are enjoying their experience or not, that's a problem. When the promises and "carrots" are constantly cancelled and you're told 'sorry that's just business' without so much as an ounce of recourse that's a problem. When career aspirations are halted because you are seat locked on a bond while the world passes you by, that's a very serious problem. It happened with many flightcrew there prior to your arrival.

Your current inexperience and freshness will help you get through your tenure without much trouble. Enjoy the ride and the destinations.

S.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”