Morningstar

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Morningstar

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Just wondering the regular details: where does the flying go out of YYZ on the 757, how many days a month work, is it commutable from West Coast, how long until Vancouver base(or is there even one?), pay, bond, upgrade time etc
---------- ADS -----------

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Morningstar

Post by indieadventurer »

https://www.unifor2002.org/getattachmen ... -2020.aspx

That’s a link to their current CBA, it’ll answer some of your questions.

Have a look at FlightAware during the overnight hours and view their airborne fleet, MAL is their icao identifier. Primarily east west all domestic flying on back side of the clock.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am Just wondering the regular details: where does the flying go out of YYZ on the 757, how many days a month work, is it commutable from West Coast, how long until Vancouver base(or is there even one?), pay, bond, upgrade time etc
I believe their Vancouver base is only for the Caravan, but I could be wrong.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Morning
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Morning »

Our Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto bases are home bases for the Caravan aircraft. Toronto is the sole base for the Boeing aircraft.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

How is it at Morningstar?

Seems like they are posting for pilots a few times per year. Attrition to the majors? Expansion? How long is the wait for the upgrade at the rate this industry is moving?

Always heard nothing but great things about this place.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Is the ATR based out of CYMX only? if so, what routes do they typically fly. Thx

Morning
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Morning »

The ATR route is to Quebec City and return. Yes, YMX is the only location of the ATR.

Morning
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Morning »

GATRKGA wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:47 pm How is it at Morningstar?

Seems like they are posting for pilots a few times per year. Attrition to the majors? Expansion? How long is the wait for the upgrade at the rate this industry is moving?

Always heard nothing but great things about this place.
Morningstar is expanding. Typically within 12 - 14 months, there are opportunities to upgrade.

TonicBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TonicBear »

Hey there;

I am interested in the 757 FO job at Morningstar. Im wondering if anyone could please let me know how long the pairings are usually (min/max). I believe is 86 credits a month?

Thanks friends

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

I thought morning star upgraded the caravan guys to the jet? I haven’t seen them post jobs for the caravan in a while

Mr. re
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mr. re »

tsukubacpe wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:22 pm I thought morning star upgraded the caravan guys to the jet? I haven’t seen them post jobs for the caravan in a while
I was wondering about the Caravan pilots at Morningstar. I saw the recent ad for 757 FO , I thought for sure they could have easily hired from within already?

They say you can fly the caravan for a year and upgrade to FO on the 757. I find it odd they don’t mention upgrades to the ATR.

Anyone have some insight.

I know someone with 1200 hours on Caravan but it’s single pilot Day VFR only, not sure how well that would stack up for a Morningstar gig in Wpg or YYZ. They’re interested.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Heard a Morningstar at YYC a couple days ago. Didn't realize they flew out here.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Mr. re wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:52 pm
tsukubacpe wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:22 pm I thought morning star upgraded the caravan guys to the jet? I haven’t seen them post jobs for the caravan in a while
I was wondering about the Caravan pilots at Morningstar. I saw the recent ad for 757 FO , I thought for sure they could have easily hired from within already?

They say you can fly the caravan for a year and upgrade to FO on the 757. I find it odd they don’t mention upgrades to the ATR.

I know someone with 1200 hours on Caravan but it’s single pilot Day VFR only, not sure how well that would stack up for a Morningstar gig in Wpg or YYZ. They’re interested.
ATR is Mirabel only, and it flies to Quebec City and back. Occasionally spots open on the ATR, but it's rare.

Bids typically go through the Caravan pilots prior to going public, but most Caravan pilots learn to enjoy the lifestyle. Some want career progress, but it means switching to the backside of the clock. If you are seeing a 757 opening, it means the current set of Caravan pilots have passed on it.

The Morningstar 757 is a wonderful well kept aircraft, and it is a great company to work for, but night cargo can be tricky to get used to.

Last I checked, upgrades were between 9-10 YOS and require 500 hours on the 757 to qualify for. Nothing stopping you from bidding back and forth.

Contract is public, I believe Unifor is still watching over the fleet and you can view their current agreement online. They are in negotiations now so expect good things in the spring of 2020.

Best of luck.

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

Yea that makes sense. I’m very interested in flying the caravan out of yyz. Currently at around 800 TT. I’ve seen their ads for minimum 1500. Any guys there with lower times?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

tsukubacpe wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 pm Yea that makes sense. I’m very interested in flying the caravan out of yyz. Currently at around 800 TT. I’ve seen their ads for minimum 1500. Any guys there with lower times?
Sorry bud, not that I know of. The flying, while not tremendously difficult, has it's days where that little bit of extra experience is needed.

I'd say getting close to their mins of 1500, you'd be very ready to take on the flying and would warrant connecting with HR, if not sooner to allow them to get to know you a little.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Sorry you mean 9-10 years to hold left seat on the 57?!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

indieadventurer wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 pm Sorry you mean 9-10 years to hold left seat on the 57?!
Yes. Don't know if it's changed much in the last few years but I imagine not. Lots of young captains and they enjoy what they do.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Almost worth staying at the regionals with upgrades that far away.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

LegoMan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:49 am Almost worth staying at the regionals with upgrades that far away.
It's tough with very steady growth. Small market cargo with only one, very good customer, means not a lot of upgrading.

The schedule is better than most regionals, but it is overnight.

Mr. re
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mr. re »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:05 pm
Mr. re wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:52 pm

ATR is Mirabel only, and it flies to Quebec City and back. Occasionally spots open on the ATR, but it's rare.

Bids typically go through the Caravan pilots prior to going public, but most Caravan pilots learn to enjoy the lifestyle. Some want career progress, but it means switching to the backside of the clock. If you are seeing a 757 opening, it means the current set of Caravan pilots have passed on it.

The Morningstar 757 is a wonderful well kept aircraft, and it is a great company to work for, but night cargo can be tricky to get used to.

Last I checked, upgrades were between 9-10 YOS and require 500 hours on the 757 to qualify for. Nothing stopping you from bidding back and forth.

Contract is public, I believe Unifor is still watching over the fleet and you can view their current agreement online. They are in negotiations now so expect good things in the spring of 2020.

Best of luck.
Interesting, thanks for some insight.

Question, what do you mean you can bid back and forth? Does that mean you can fly both the caravan and the 757?

Also, how is it operating out of a massive airport like YYZ with a caravan.? Probably just the same as any other plane out of YYZ. I wonder what kind of commute most pilots have. Public transportation? Or fight through the traffic? What’s a typical commute time these days? 45mins?

That sounds pretty good about new negotiations, looking forward to seeing what happens this spring.

Did you work for them at some point?

Cheers

Return to “Employment Forum”