Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
dave_r
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 am

Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by dave_r » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:36 am

Good morning, everyone

I know that the words "pilot-in-waiting" are a source of controversy here but let me explain my request before I trigger a fresh debate.

I'm a writer from Calgary and I'd like to interview someone who is currently working as a pilot-in-waiting. The purpose of the interview is to reveal the trials, tribulations and rewards (are there any?) of your day-to-day work.

I follow the airline industry closely and my guess is PIW jobs will start to disappear as the pilot shortage takes continues to worsen. I'd like to capture a snapshot of a PIW's work life while there are still people doing this work. To be clear, the intended outcome is a warts-and-all profile of your work, not an indictment of current or past employers

If you're willing to participate in some brief correspondence in email and perhaps a 30 minute phone interview (on my dime, of course), please feel welcome to send me a private message here on the forum.

Dave
---------- ADS -----------
  

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by shimmydampner » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:05 am

For some perspective, you should compare and contrast with examples from 15-20 years ago when things were REALLY dire. Back in the days of The Lurker. There are no doubt, a lot of great stories out there.
---------- ADS -----------
  

dave_r
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 am

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by dave_r » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 am

Hey there ...

It's interesting that you mention that! I interviewed a former pilot who told me about his PIW experiences which included living in the corner of a hanger in Northern Ontario for a few weeks. Was planning to do a compare and contrast as an intro the piece.

The Lurker? Please say more ...

Dave
---------- ADS -----------
  

FurHat
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by FurHat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Pilot jobs were so scarce post September 11th, low experience pilots couldn't even get "pilot-in-waiting" jobs. If they did get hired at a small airline, the list of pilots in ground jobs ahead of them could be dozens, usually meaning a wait of years at least. Long enough for your instrument rating to expire if your license was new.

Pilots would move to small towns where these airlines operated and take jobs around town (liquor store, Canadian Tire, Substitute teaching), waiting to be hired at the local airline in a ground position. These pilots were known as "lurkers". Some guys in Thompson even made a fictional movie called "The Lurker" but I don't think it was completed.
---------- ADS -----------
  

dave_r
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 am

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by dave_r » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:04 pm

That's gold - could be a story in its own right.

Anybody know what happened to the filmmakers?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7737
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by iflyforpie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Word is they are still in YTH waiting for a seat. :lol: :smt082 :smt081
---------- ADS -----------
  
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by shimmydampner » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:04 pm

I heard they went on to produce the famous "500" animated short. :D
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by MrAviator19 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Summit Air and North Star Air should be on top of your list for interviewing pilots in waiting. Those two places still have some unrealistic PIW times with the way the industry is moving right now. Their employees will be perfect for your project - you'll go in looking to make a short movie but will come out with enough material for a damn documentary! :lol:

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

Vsquared
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by Vsquared » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 pm

For someone new to the industry with no pilot in waiting experience, what are Summit and North Star's waiting times ? And what is the average Northern operators waiting time ?
MrAviator19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm
Summit Air and North Star Air should be on top of your list for interviewing pilots in waiting. Those two places still have some unrealistic PIW times with the way the industry is moving right now. Their employees will be perfect for your project - you'll go in looking to make a short movie but will come out with enough material for a damn documentary! :lol:

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by C-GGGQ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:52 am

Vsquared wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 pm
For someone new to the industry with no pilot in waiting experience, what are Summit and North Star's waiting times ? And what is the average Northern operators waiting time ?
MrAviator19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm
Summit Air and North Star Air should be on top of your list for interviewing pilots in waiting. Those two places still have some unrealistic PIW times with the way the industry is moving right now. Their employees will be perfect for your project - you'll go in looking to make a short movie but will come out with enough material for a damn documentary! :lol:

MrA
Not sure about those operators, but several places it's a matter of weeks or months only now. 3 ish months seems to be what I keep hearing from NWO and Manitoba
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by MrAviator19 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:48 am

C-GGGQ wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:52 am
Vsquared wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:01 pm
For someone new to the industry with no pilot in waiting experience, what are Summit and North Star's waiting times ? And what is the average Northern operators waiting time ?
MrAviator19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm
Summit Air and North Star Air should be on top of your list for interviewing pilots in waiting. Those two places still have some unrealistic PIW times with the way the industry is moving right now. Their employees will be perfect for your project - you'll go in looking to make a short movie but will come out with enough material for a damn documentary! :lol:

MrA
Not sure about those operators, but several places it's a matter of weeks or months only now. 3 ish months seems to be what I keep hearing from NWO and Manitoba
Summit quoted me 1-2 years when I interviewed with them in the summer of 2018. NSA will tell you 6 months to a year but 90% of guys on the ramp end up doing a year (sometimes a little over) just because they have too many pilots in waiting and they go by date of hire seniority (though they have fucked some guys in the past by promoting someone to flight line hired after them!)
PS: I'm not a pilot-in-waiting and don't work for either of those two places.

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:07 am

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by Shinyjetsyndrome » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 am

MrAviator19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm
Summit Air and North Star Air should be on top of your list for interviewing pilots in waiting. Those two places still have some unrealistic PIW times with the way the industry is moving right now. Their employees will be perfect for your project - you'll go in looking to make a short movie but will come out with enough material for a damn documentary! :lol:

MrA
Add North Cariboo to that list. Some guys have been there over 2 years and still not close to sitting in a plane.
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by goingnowherefast » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:35 pm

I always thought the pilot in waiting type job was a pay check while you continue job searching for an actual flying job. Worst case scenario, your turn comes up and you get into an airplane at the company you were ramping for.
---------- ADS -----------
  

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Are you a pilot-in-waiting?

Post by North Shore » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:46 pm

dave_r wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:04 pm
That's gold - could be a story in its own right.

Anybody know what happened to the filmmakers?
One is sitting pretty happy in the left seat at WJ, another became the CP at a southern airline. I believe that 'the lurker' himself is based in YVR now...
---------- ADS -----------
  
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”