Im in highschool

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rocky6527
Rank 0
Rank 0

Im in highschool

Post by Rocky6527 »

Hey everyone
Hope everyone is well
Just had a couple of questions as I want to become a Pilot and i am in grade 10. But I want to know what courses I have to take to become a Pilot and get my degree. Which degree do I have to get and where can I get that from? I am in Brampton. Is there anything i can do now at the age of 15 or 16 like get my PPL or something like that?
---------- ADS -----------

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Im in highschool

Post by Foregone »

Yep you can get your PPL now. And you don’t actually need a degree, though it could be helpful, as well as nice to have a structured program for your studies. I however didn’t get an aviation degree and am just fine.

You can search the forums here and get lots of info & opinions on different flight training facilities & colleges. To familiarize yourself with alot of stuff you will need to know, I would suggest reading these 2 great books available on the FAA site for free in digital format:

Airplane flying handbook
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... ndbook.pdf

Pilot’s handbook of aeronautical knowledge
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... ndbook.pdf

These are US publications, but extremely applicable. For Canadian specific, get a hold of the book “ From the ground up”, as well as the “Air Command Weather Manual”

The first 2 links though, I read before I started flight training and it helped out a lot!

Last tip, as my one of my flight instructors always said, “Flight training is like a bandaid, you gotta just rip it off!” It is very beneficial (and cost effective!) to not have a lot of gaps (starting and stopping as you run out of money) in your training process, as you will be having relearn things after long breaks in training. That being said, I had stop for a year during my ppl process cause I ran out of funds. But if you are determined, passionate about learning the craft, you will find a way! At least that was my experience, and continues to be so. Good luck!

dash8dave
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dash8dave »

Good luck in your dreams Rocky. I hope the best for you. Flying can be a wonderful career.

The first thing that I recommend to young people just entering the industry is to get your CAT 1 medical first. Before even trying any flying lessons. I don't know how much it is to get the initial, but it's cheaper to do it now and find some disqualifying condition, than it is after spending all that money on a PPL (CAT 3).

Just my $0.02 worth.

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein
Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

dash8dave wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:59 pm Good luck in your dreams Rocky. I hope the best for you. Flying can be a wonderful career.

The first thing that I recommend to young people just entering the industry is to get your CAT 1 medical first. Before even trying any flying lessons. I don't know how much it is to get the initial, but it's cheaper to do it now and find some disqualifying condition, than it is after spending all that money on a PPL (CAT 3).

Just my $0.02 worth.
Ah yes that's a good point, I agree! That's actually the other first thing I did so I could determine I wasn't wasting time & money.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

In addition to your medical, do your PSTAR and radio license now. For whatever reason, these seem to be big stumbling blocks for students.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Good advice here so far.

Do your best at math because it is helpful, my father always said, "Math is part of everything." but don't worry too much about your grades.

If you can get a degree do it, try to find something you are interested in and choose that but, you don't even need post secondary for a lot of good flying jobs. I'm pretty sure the airlines just prefer someone that has one to prove you are capable of functioning in a classroom since you will need to occasionally take courses for type ratings. Meteorology or engineering would be good ones.

The PSTAR bede wrote about is the pre-solo test for getting a student pilot permit. I think the questions on it are a bit poorly worded but I probably spelled my screen name, a word I made up wrong, so...

Until you at least study something the PSTAR won't make much sense but here is a link to practice for it using the actual questions on the real test.
http://www.principalair.ca/pstar_table_ ... .htm#PSTAR

You might also want to get one of those ground school books like The Sharper Edge or the book that can't be named here, by the BC lawyer.

There is a flying club in Brampton. You should go down and talk to them. Spending time at the airport is always good.

https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

You don't need a highschool diploma or degree to be a commercial pilot but they will help you in certain aspects. As far as highschool goes, I think that English, Math, and Physics would be the most beneficial. Classes like automotive mechanics can be very helpful too.
The main thing you need to know for aviation is how to effectively study and retain information for written exams, PPC rides, and every day rules and regulations. A strong English/Math/Physics background will help with learning/understanding concepts more easily and efficiently.

Return to “Employment Forum”