Entry Level Jobs

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

Post Reply
triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

Hello

Is this time of year harder to find an entry-level job that would lead to a FO position?

I just recently finished all my ratings and tests (Iatra/Group 1) and I am willing to do to the ramp/dispatch thing essentially anywhere in Canada. During the past few months I have noticed there were quite a few of those jobs available but now it has really tappered off. I remember a few years ago while following the job market (working in another trade) reading that the winter is generally slower for rampy to FO jobs and that Spring is basically where it's at for getting out there.

Any information about this would help, and I am sure it would help a lot of other people that may come across this post.

Thanks a lot
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1751
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by C-GGGQ »

Traditionally yes it is harder come fall and winter to find jobs. Most charter outfits did their hiring for the busy season and things will start slowing down. It will be temporary though and some places will have steadier work (non float plane operators and scheduled services) places might not be advertising as well as they don't NEED people but if you show up hand them a resume they may not be FULL if that makes sense? Good luck
---------- ADS -----------
  

Vsquared
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by Vsquared »

Since you're willing to work a ramp and relocate you shouldn't have any trouble finding anything right now with NWO and Territory operators. However, you'd probably find a lot better opportunity come spring.
---------- ADS -----------
  

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by altiplano »

I'd look in Alberta.

I'm a little removed, and maybe everyone is shutting down after the Greta visit... but it used to always pick up with oil patch flying in the winter.
---------- ADS -----------
  

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

C-GGGQ wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:07 pm
Traditionally yes it is harder come fall and winter to find jobs. Most charter outfits did their hiring for the busy season and things will start slowing down. It will be temporary though and some places will have steadier work (non float plane operators and scheduled services) places might not be advertising as well as they don't NEED people but if you show up hand them a resume they may not be FULL if that makes sense? Good luck
Yeah that does make sense, thanks for your reply
---------- ADS -----------
  

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

Vsquared wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 pm
Since you're willing to work a ramp and relocate you shouldn't have any trouble finding anything right now with NWO and Territory operators. However, you'd probably find a lot better opportunity come spring.
Yeah, I talked to a company up north and they said they had a guy come from Summit (to them) who was there for 2 years on the ramp. I know that doesn't represent the north as a whole but I was surprised considering they keep posting ATR FOS, dispatch to flight line and ramp to flight line jobs.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
  

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

altiplano wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm
I'd look in Alberta.

I'm a little removed, and maybe everyone is shutting down after the Greta visit... but it used to always pick up with oil patch flying in the winter.
Yeah good point for Alberta, I'll check with the companies who do that flying. I work in the patch and although I rarely fly up there (I only work shutdowns) typically its west jet or Canadian north as they land no problem at FireBag and CNRL Horizon etc. There's for sure some I am missing.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
  

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by altiplano »

triplebarrel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:27 pm
altiplano wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm
I'd look in Alberta.

I'm a little removed, and maybe everyone is shutting down after the Greta visit... but it used to always pick up with oil patch flying in the winter.
Yeah good point for Alberta, I'll check with the companies who do that flying. I work in the patch and although I rarely fly up there (I only work shutdowns) typically its west jet or Canadian north as they land no problem at FireBag and CNRL Horizon etc. There's for sure some I am missing.

Thanks
No not Westjet or Canadian North... that's not entry level.

More like North Cariboo or Sunwest or Borek or ... I don't know which operators are around anymore, as I said I'm a little removed from it... and those ones were barely entry level before, but I suspect they are now... Who's flying king airs and 1900s and metros into Rainbow Lake and Tumbler Ridge and Helmut and High Level... that's where I'd be looking.

Good luck...
---------- ADS -----------
  

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

altiplano wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:48 pm
triplebarrel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:27 pm
altiplano wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm
I'd look in Alberta.

I'm a little removed, and maybe everyone is shutting down after the Greta visit... but it used to always pick up with oil patch flying in the winter.
Yeah good point for Alberta, I'll check with the companies who do that flying. I work in the patch and although I rarely fly up there (I only work shutdowns) typically its west jet or Canadian north as they land no problem at FireBag and CNRL Horizon etc. There's for sure some I am missing.

Thanks
No not Westjet or Canadian North... that's not entry level.

More like North Cariboo or Sunwest or Borek or ... I don't know which operators are around anymore, as I said I'm a little removed from it... and those ones were barely entry level before, but I suspect they are now... Who's flying king airs and 1900s and metros into Rainbow Lake and Tumbler Ridge and Helmut and High Level... that's where I'd be looking.

Good luck...


ahh Understood. Cheers man
---------- ADS -----------
  

Plane_sight
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by Plane_sight »

triplebarrel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:24 pm
Yeah, I talked to a company up north and they said they had a guy come from Summit (to them) who was there for 2 years on the ramp. I know that doesn't represent the north as a whole but I was surprised considering they keep posting ATR FOS, dispatch to flight line and ramp to flight line jobs.

Thanks
I'm surprised too as we're getting someone from Summit in the next week or two to work a desk job. EDIT: My mistake, he's from CMA, not Summit.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by Plane_sight on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

Plane_sight wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:00 am
triplebarrel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:24 pm
Yeah, I talked to a company up north and they said they had a guy come from Summit (to them) who was there for 2 years on the ramp. I know that doesn't represent the north as a whole but I was surprised considering they keep posting ATR FOS, dispatch to flight line and ramp to flight line jobs.

Thanks
I'm surprised too as we're getting someone from Summit in the next week or two to work a desk job.
Yeah, I have been thinking about that more as I see these Summit postings and I came to a realization that there are 2 sides to every story and this guy probably was just either in the wrong place at the wrong time or maybe he had the bad work ethic and simply didn't try hard enough because even if you get a shot at an entry-level gig you still have to be positive, work hard and prove yourself.
---------- ADS -----------
  

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by co-joe »

triplebarrel wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm
Hello

Is this time of year harder to find an entry-level job that would lead to a FO position?

...
It's harder in tourism based areas cause that dies off, but in year round work areas like in medevacs, scheds, and crew changes it's actually the best time of year to look for work. Believe me, after a few winters up north you won't want to spend another christmas in the cold and dark so guys will be looking hard for a job down south. Boom, that's when you show up ready to work and put in the time. As soon as the temp dips, and the days get shorter positions start opening up.

Go where nobody wants to be, and put in the work now, so years from now you can leave it behind for good.
---------- ADS -----------
  

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

co-joe wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:03 am
triplebarrel wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm
Hello

Is this time of year harder to find an entry-level job that would lead to a FO position?

...
It's harder in tourism based areas cause that dies off, but in year round work areas like in medevacs, scheds, and crew changes it's actually the best time of year to look for work. Believe me, after a few winters up north you won't want to spend another christmas in the cold and dark so guys will be looking hard for a job down south. Boom, that's when you show up ready to work and put in the time. As soon as the temp dips, and the days get shorter positions start opening up.

Go where nobody wants to be, and put in the work now, so years from now you can leave it behind for good.
Right on, thanks for the insight. That makes total sense and hopefully something opens up. Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------
  

ayseven
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:17 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by ayseven »

Good luck. I sense you will do fine. It can be a lot if fun in the northern towns, believe it or not.
---------- ADS -----------
  

triplebarrel
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Entry Level Jobs

Post by triplebarrel »

ayseven wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:01 pm
Good luck. I sense you will do fine. It can be a lot if fun in the northern towns, believe it or not.
Thank you sir, I look forward to seeing where this career can take me for sure
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”