Helicopter to Fixed wing advice

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Helicopter to Fixed wing advice

Post by jar »

Hello,

I am looking for some input and some suggestions on who to contact or what to do next for employment.

I am currently converting my helicopter to a fixed wing license.

I am trying to plan ahead bit and see what my next steps should be.

When I am finished I will have about 1100 hours total time with 130 hours fixed wing, Multi-ifr rating and I am working on my IATRA as well

I am curious, will my rotary experience count at all when applying to fixed wing operators? I noticed some ads do mentioned fixed wing (preferred), but not sure where that truly leaves me with only 130ish hours of fixed wing time.

Where should I be looking for my first employment? Will anyone realistically hire me or do I have to build more hours?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Helicopter to Fixed wing advice

Post by daedalusx »

jar wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:35 pm Hello,

I am looking for some input and some suggestions on who to contact or what to do next for employment.

I am currently converting my helicopter to a fixed wing license.

I am trying to plan ahead bit and see what my next steps should be.

When I am finished I will have about 1100 hours total time with 130 hours fixed wing, Multi-ifr rating and I am working on my IATRA as well

I am curious, will my rotary experience count at all when applying to fixed wing operators? I noticed some ads do mentioned fixed wing (preferred), but not sure where that truly leaves me with only 130ish hours of fixed wing time.

Where should I be looking for my first employment? Will anyone realistically hire me or do I have to build more hours?

Thanks
I've done it, best decision I ever made. You won't regret it.
I found out the rotary time put me well ahead other candidates with less experience, even though I only had 130hrs fixed wing. It will count for sure especially in this climate of "kind of shortage" because a lot of 703 operators are giving a shot at unproven kids with little experience. With you they will know that you already have a good understanding of the job and responsabilities.
Flying a Kingair/PC12 is ridiculously easy. All you need to develop right now is good IFR skills. The rest you should already have (Flight planning, weather, fuel, decision making, airsmanship, etc).

Also for insurance purposes, a lot of places are looking for total time, so that will also help.
Best of luck!

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
jar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jar »

Thanks for your reply. It definitely makes me feel a bit better about it all.

I should be done in a few weeks here and will hit the road to see what I can come up with for opportunities.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:41 pm I've done it, best decision I ever made. You won't regret it.
Flying a Kingair/PC12 is ridiculously easy. All you need to develop right now is good IFR skills. The rest you should already have (Flight planning, weather, fuel, decision making, airsmanship, etc).
I have been flying fixed wing VFR and I am considering going the other way, so I am curious what made leaving helicopters for fixed wing such a good decision (ie what was so bad about helicopters)?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

TailwheelPilot wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm
daedalusx wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:41 pm I've done it, best decision I ever made. You won't regret it.
I have been flying fixed wing VFR and I am considering going the other way, so I am curious what made leaving helicopters for fixed wing such a good decision (ie what was so bad about helicopters)?
Terrible job market which translates to horrible schedule/pay/benefits.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
jar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jar »

All that and some pretty bad schedules as well.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

But, flying helicopters is cool.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

If you are willing to put some time in the industry things only keep getting better. Schedules are getting better if you try and work for the right companies.

Once you crack the 1000-2000 mark everything becomes alot nicer, but be prepared to tough it out till that point.

Return to “Employment Forum”