Has anyone tried their luck at the winter sports shows?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Has anyone tried their luck at the winter sports shows?

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I'm looking to find some flying work for the 2021 float season, and it may be possible to find some rotational work this season as a dockhand or swamper or somesuch, while I continue training. Given that I'm intending on going the bush flying route, at least to start, and likely as a full-on career, I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried shaking hands at the winter sports shows. I'm a wilderness canoeist with no small amount of experience so it seems natural to me.

I live a 20 minute drive from the International Centre and within easy driving distance of any of the GTA shows, so I think going down for a few shows when it's not busy and introducing myself just seems smart, but I don't want to come off as an annoyance. I mean, realistically, I won't even have a resume before summer. I'm thinking of writing up a cover letter that might hopefully stand in its place that tells my story (midlife career change) and aspirations (career bush pilot), and all the usual mumbo jumbo about how awesome I am, and hopefully get to talk shop with a few operators. So far I'm looking at going to the Spring Fishing&Boat Show, the Outdoor Adventure&Travel Show, and the Sportsmen's Show.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone have any ideas? Is it a bad idea?
---------- ADS -----------

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
BushRatt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Has anyone tried their luck at the winter sports shows?

Post by BushRatt »

It’s a great idea. I did just that at a sports show in Calgary. That was in 1980, I got a job for my efforts.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Yeah, I hit the sportsman shows as well during the late winter/early spring. Met a number of operators and kept in contact. This used to be a pretty common thing for low timers to do.

Another note is to make sure you aren't going to visit places on a road trip while there is a show going on. One operator that I really had in my sights turned out to be at a show I didn't know about in Toronto, where I had just driven 4 days away from!

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Back in the day I was always told not to do this as the operators are there trying to drum up business, not get harassed by low time pilots. That being said, it's different times now and it's probably harder to find pilots than fishermen.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

shimmydampner wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pmBack in the day I was always told not to do this as the operators are there trying to drum up business, not get harassed by low time pilots. That being said, it's different times now and it's probably harder to find pilots than fishermen.
Yeah the one operator I've asked about this said yeah, come by and we can have a quick chat to see if things line up - but come when it's not busy, on the Thursday or Friday afternoon of a show. Definitely avoid the weekend.
shimmydampner wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pmlow time pilots
pfft. I'll be a no-time pilot.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
canaviator846
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canaviator846 »

Definitely scope out the booth and make sure the owner/operator isn't talking to a potential guest. But yes, that could work... I've worked sport shows, in slow time they can drag on.. could be a great opportunity to chat about a job. Best of luck :)

Return to “Employment Forum”