Pipeline Patrol in Alberta?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

theyycguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pipeline Patrol in Alberta?

Post by theyycguy »

Hello all,

Almost finished up with my CPL and it has been my goal to enter the industry via a pipeline patrol job.
From networking around I've gathered most are short staffed and will be needing new pilots soon.
What is everyones thoughts on all the companies around AB that do this?Airborne Energy,Envirotech,and Integrated Sensing are the ones I am looking at.
Pay?Schedules?Average hours flown in a year?
---------- ADS -----------

kaoandy1125
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pipeline Patrol in Alberta?

Post by kaoandy1125 »

I've never done pipeline jobs so these info are from talking to a few pipeline people i met during my last job:
You start out as an observer, so you don't get to log hours for a while.
The Edmonton company if i remembered correctly have you sit observer for a few months before start logging time.
The other 2 guys i met are from a Regina company (again, if i remembered correctly), they go on a 3-4 day trip together, split the hours so it's about 10 hours/week. Can't really get a side job because days worked aren't fixed.
Either way, people usually do that for like a year, get to 750 hours-ish and move on to 703/704 no problem.
I didn't ask for their pay as I figured it's probably as shitty as other first jobs?
If someone has more accurate info please correct me I don't want to give false info lol

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I don't know much about pipeline patrol, last I knew Airborne or Aerial Recon or whatever they're called now out of Whitecourt did lots of that with Cardinals and it paid quite well. There's a big outfit in Edmonton that does meter reading in bright orange 172s and again I've heard they pay well. The best way to get on there is to work the ramp at Cariboo. Strange but true. I think there's one in YYC or YBW but not sure.

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

Last edited by 702pipeliner on Wed May 18, 2022 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScarMonton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ScarMonton »

Looks like things are picking back up again.
Airborne, Integrated, EnviroTech, and Synergy are the main ones that I know about.
Does anyone know about the hiring situation in any of them?

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

ScarMonton wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:15 pm Looks like things are picking back up again.
Airborne, Integrated, EnviroTech, and Synergy are the main ones that I know about.
Integrated had a ground to flight line job post on here about a month ago

ycnhe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ycnhe »

30-40k depending how much you fly.
Pretty sure all of the company's will require you to be on call as they offer emergency call out services to their clients. You probably won't get paid to be on call. With that, its best to live close to your base so you do not have to drop everything when you get a call to make it to the airport within the time standard.
Trips suck; try to get on with a company who does daily flights originating and returning to the same base.
Some lovely days out there getting kicked around in a 172 that will make some of the strongest of stomachs feel sick at times.
But, probably some of the best experience you can get. You're almost guaranteed to get caught in some weather, 75% chance you'll deal with some emergency situations, good chance you'll be able to answer future interview questions about how you work with difficult individuals, lol.
Hold no expectations, things will frequently go wrong.

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

4 months as observer (totally variable based on pilot movement), then a year in the left seat. Made 46k in the last 12mo and flew 800hrs. I've done alot of different things, aviation and otherwise, and it is still one of the best jobs I've ever had. Some hated it and couldn't wait to move on. Depends on the type of flying you're into.

206ranger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 206ranger »

How does 46K a year compare to the next seat moving forward? Seems like a decent first job pay?
Did you have to sign a bond at pipeline gig?

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

206ranger wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:52 pm How does 46K a year compare to the next seat moving forward? Seems like a decent first job pay?
Did you have to sign a bond at pipeline gig?
Correct, it pays better than the regionals and most other entry-level FO spots. No bond for the outfit I worked for.

ScarMonton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ScarMonton »

pild04 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:43 am
ScarMonton wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:15 pm Looks like things are picking back up again.
Integrated had a ground to flight line job post on here about a month ago
Yup!
I spoke with them about it.
6 months as a tech/observer before you can start logging flight time.
I don't mind that as long as I can get PIC hours at some point.

Return to “Employment Forum”