Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

98flyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 98flyguy »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by 98flyguy on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: US visa for Sim Training (Canadian PRs)

Post by Choppermech1986 »

It was no hassle for me. I'm a citizen of a country that is issued an ESTA Visa Waiver by the US and I traveled to the US on a WB Visa.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

You might need esta to enter. Crew visa is to operate airplanes and possibly to position to pick up airplanes, not for training. You need fingerprinting and security clearance for sim training, just like Canadians do.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fsantana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fsantana »

FlightSafety would address your concerns about this matter. Talk to them.

Jet/Type rating certification would need clearance by TSA for everyone who isn’t USA citizen. Besides this clearance you will need your B1/B2 visa to enter the USA.

But you need to contact FlightSafety.

FS

98flyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 98flyguy »

Last edited by 98flyguy on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Getting your answer from Flight Safety can also depend on which city facility you will be training with. The last time I used them the facilitator was just ok. It took some effort to get responses to questions. Where are you doing your training?

willpilot4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willpilot4 »

Your B1/B2 is good for sim training. Just don’t say to the border officer that you are there to study, you are going there for sim training.

All the best at sim.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

B1 is the visa you need, but I'd recommend you ask the US Consulate for a combined B1/B2/C1/D so you won't need multiple visas to operate there and to travel/go to sim. Ask FSI about finger printing for the TSA.

D1 visa is the visa you need to operate an aircraft in the US.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The AFSP page has a lot of good info, and I believe you can call or email them directly with questions.

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/home

Doctore
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doctore »

Hi,

I know this thread is quite old, however, please let us know how did it turn out to be and what was the outcome ?

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Yeah, pretty late to replying to this but better late than never right? Having gone through the same experience as a PR and foreign passport holder(European), when I did my flight sim training in the US, I did not need any type of visa. All I had to do was the AFSP TSA check by getting my finger prints done in the US for them to check and make sure I’m not a criminal. I did the same as all my Canadian colleagues. Once I started flying for an international airline is when I had to get a US C1/D crew visa. The B1/B2 visa is simply for vacation in the states for up to six months I believe.

I applied for the C1/D visa at the US consulate in Calgary and when I was talking to the lady behind the counter, she asked me if I wanted the B1/B2 visa added on as it was free and I thought sure, couldn’t hurt. My main reason to get the C1/D visa was so that I can operate the jet I flew in to all the US destinations my company flew to. Hope this helps!

Doctore
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Doctore »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 am Yeah, pretty late to replying to this but better late than never right? Having gone through the same experience as a PR and foreign passport holder(European), when I did my flight sim training in the US, I did not need any type of visa. All I had to do was the AFSP TSA check by getting my finger prints done in the US for them to check and make sure I’m not a criminal. I did the same as all my Canadian colleagues. Once I started flying for an international airline is when I had to get a US C1/D crew visa. The B1/B2 visa is simply for vacation in the states for up to six months I believe.

I applied for the C1/D visa at the US consulate in Calgary and when I was talking to the lady behind the counter, she asked me if I wanted the B1/B2 visa added on as it was free and I thought sure, couldn’t hurt. My main reason to get the C1/D visa was so that I can operate the jet I flew in to all the US destinations my company flew to. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot ! That makes things a lot clearer now. I have both B1/B2 and C1/D visas .. only thing is my passport requires a visa for entry. The person who started this forum shares the exact situation as I am in now. To my understanding there are limitations for M1/F1 visa which we fall short of in terms of duration/hours.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Doctore wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:09 am
FOD_Vacuum wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 am Yeah, pretty late to replying to this but better late than never right? Having gone through the same experience as a PR and foreign passport holder(European), when I did my flight sim training in the US, I did not need any type of visa. All I had to do was the AFSP TSA check by getting my finger prints done in the US for them to check and make sure I’m not a criminal. I did the same as all my Canadian colleagues. Once I started flying for an international airline is when I had to get a US C1/D crew visa. The B1/B2 visa is simply for vacation in the states for up to six months I believe.

Thanks a lot ! That makes things a lot clearer now. I have both B1/B2 and C1/D visas .. only thing is my passport requires a visa for entry. The person who started this forum shares the exact situation as I am in now. To my understanding there are limitations for M1/F1 visa which we fall short of in terms of duration/hours.
No problem! I also would try and get a letter written from your employer stating where and for how long your flight training is as well as bring any AFSP paperwork with you when passing through US customs just incase they ask for it.

captainhack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by captainhack »

Hello,

I know what company this is about and who you are. Clarence is an a*hole so no wonder he set you to go figure this out by yourself. Just make sure you don't end up needing therapy in a year from now from working at said company. Welcome to the sh*t show!

Cheers

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

captainhack wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:35 pm Hello,

I know what company this is about and who you are. Clarence is an a*hole so no wonder he set you to go figure this out by yourself. Just make sure you don't end up needing therapy in a year from now from working at said company. Welcome to the sh*t show!

Cheers
LOL 😂

Return to “Employment Forum”