Float flying prospects?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

glassywoder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Float flying prospects?

Post by glassywoder »

Hey guys, wondering if I can get some advice from those of you who've been there, and done that...

Imagine this: You're a 600TT CPL with a float and instructor rating, around 90hrs on floats. Some 702/703 experience as the newbie on a 206 at a survey company for a season, and the rest from instructing and ferries. You want to be on floats for the foreseeable future or until you break your back loading drums. You can pack up and drive anywhere. Knowing what you know now, where do you go/whose doors are you knocking on?

I've scoured every old post I could find, but hoping to get some up to date info for the 2020 season. Thanks in advance for helping a rookie out.
---------- ADS -----------

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Float flying prospects?

Post by FishermanIvan »

NW Ontario and Manitoba. Email everyone you find on PCC a resume and then follow up.

That’s how I did it at 225TT and 25 float.

You’ve got almost 100 hours on floats. That’s a Beaver job in some places.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

100 hr is enough for a beaver? Now I know why there were at least 5 deadly crashes in Canada last year.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Lost Lake wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:20 pm 100 hr is enough for a beaver? Now I know why there were at least 5 deadly crashes in Canada last year.
Why, did 100 hour pilots crash their Beavers?

ChrisB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisB »

I haven't got much knowledge on this but people smarter than me have said the 185 is harder to fly than the be beaver. If I had to guess I would think a 206 would be worse than a 185.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

ChrisB wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:20 am I haven't got much knowledge on this but people smarter than me have said the 185 is harder to fly than the be beaver. If I had to guess I would think a 206 would be worse than a 185.
206 is far and away the worst Cessna seaplane.

185s are great. Beavers are way, way easier to fly though, from what I hear.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Float flying does not allow mistakes. A couple of porpoises and you are done... A loaded airplane where you don't have the power to get out of it, and you are dead. And it happens all the time.

glassywoder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by glassywoder »

How do you guys think the season will go down with the virus situation? Hearing sport shows are getting cancelled. I'm guessing outfitters and the air services that fly for them are gonna see a big slowdown in American customers. NWO vs. elsewhere? Focus on operators with local customers? Thanks for the advice so far!

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

FishermanIvan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:41 am
ChrisB wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:20 am I haven't got much knowledge on this but people smarter than me have said the 185 is harder to fly than the be beaver. If I had to guess I would think a 206 would be worse than a 185.

I hear people say this all the time, but I don't but it. They are relatively easy to fly, it's just that the beaver feels nicer on the controls. As for the 206, it just lacks takeoff performance. Load it appropriately for the conditions and keep people out of the back, and it's a fine.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

glassywoder wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:01 am How do you guys think the season will go down with the virus situation? Hearing sport shows are getting cancelled. I'm guessing outfitters and the air services that fly for them are gonna see a big slowdown in American customers. NWO vs. elsewhere? Focus on operators with local customers? Thanks for the advice so far!
I would try to focus on operators that fly year round. Usually those businesses are more community focused so are in a better position to ride out dips in the tourism economy.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:53 am
FishermanIvan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:41 am

I hear people say this all the time, but I don't but it. They are relatively easy to fly, it's just that the beaver feels nicer on the controls. As for the 206, it just lacks takeoff performance. Load it appropriately for the conditions and keep people out of the back, and it's a fine.

That’s why it’s a crappy seaplane though. It lacks takeoff performance. ESPECIALLY on amphibs.

We don’t put people in the third row of ours, but even in the second row, you need that back door, and with the flaps down, it’s useless.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I guess it all depends what you're using it for, but surely takeoff performance isn't the sole criteria by which a given aircraft is judged for the many potential missions it might be used for. If it is, I think most floatplanes will disappoint you when pushed to their limit, with the exception of maybe the piston beaver. For instance, I surprisingly found the turbo beaver and twin otter underwhelming in that regard. The 206 certainly isn't going to blow your skirt up and set your hair on fire, but I've taken it in and out of some quite small, high altitude mountain lakes with large trees on all sides and it never scared me. It requires a bit of finesse on takeoff, but if you pay heed to the performance charts, it seems to do what it says it will do.
If I had a trip to take 500 pounds of bulky canoe gear 200 miles and was departing a nice long stretch of river or lake, and had a choice between doing so in a 185 or a 206, I'd be inclined to take the 206 for a couple of reasons.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The float side of the industry will take a beating, especially the seasonal operators. Companies who rely heavily on tourism, which is usually why operators are seasonal to begin with are going to be hurting this year - travel restrictions (which may become more stringent), quarantine requirements, and the very real possibility of the border being closed will all contribute to a lot of Americans staying home.

Year round operations are going to take a hit as well, one they may be able to ride out better than seasonal ops., but one most can ill afford. Reduced hiring, early layoffs of seasonal pilots, LOAs, reduced working schedules could all be in the cards depending on how things play out. Of course, if it gets really bad, the bottom end of the seniority list is going to feel it first... Larger operators like HA, rely heavily on tourists during the summer months to supplement their sked flying. Being that employers are curtailing travel, the sked numbers will start dropping off - all the while tourist numbers are depressed. Tough times ahead...

Return to “Employment Forum”