Working while on CEWS

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yvonne2823
Rank 0
Rank 0

Working while on CEWS

Post by yvonne2823 »

I've been offered a job on the ramp for the summer with an old employer. I'm on inactive status and am getting paid through the CEWS system until August 31st.

Does anyone know if I can take the job and double dip the CEWS and the income from the job?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by yvonne2823 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Working while on CEWS

Post by CXALE »

That's actually a great question. I tried to look it up online at the different canada websites but couldn't find much.
I know there is max amount of dollars that you can make while on CERB or normal EI, but it doesn't specify anything about CEWS

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

If you’re on CEWS your cheque’s are coming from your company. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to work. I couldn’t find an official answer one way or another. I do know a lot of guys double dipping.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I'm not sure if it was CERb, or CEWS but there some talk about if you made more than 1000$ you had to pay .GOV back

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

For CERB:
When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.

When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ation.html

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

The way I understand it CERB is basically an EI replacement with similar rules with working. CEWS is a subsidy given to companies to pay their employees. My pay check show up every two weeks from Sunwing not the government of Canada. I don’t see working another job being a problem.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

You are allowed to have any other revenues while on CEWS.

The day your employer calls you for work, you have to decide if you stay on the ramp or go back to your actual job.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Your company most likely has it written in their policy that you cannot work for anyone else while employed by them. In this case, you are technically still employed by them.

Just call your HR and see what they say.

Doodlebugger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Doodlebugger »

The way I see it your current pay is being paid by the government, well ultimately by the Canadian tax payer via Sunwing. I'm pretty sure its not coming out of there pocket? These payments being put in place to enable you to manage while also allowing Sunwing to keep there workforce in place for the foreseeable future. If you are also receiving the pay of a full time worker (on the ramp) I just see it as being morally wrong and basically taking the tax payer, especially those still working for a ride by taking these payments. Not to mention while you enjoy two pay checks you may also be taking a ramp job away from someone who really does need that single pay check at the moment?

At the same time I see your dilemma, there's no guarantee you'll return to Sunwing, I just think if you want to work the CEWS should be reduced accordingly, the "double dipping" which is no doubt happening I just feel is morally wrong and not what scheme and the use of tax payers money was intended for?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Doodlebugger wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 am The way I see it your current pay is being paid by the government, well ultimately by the Canadian tax payer via Sunwing. I'm pretty sure its not coming out of there pocket? These payments being put in place to enable you to manage while also allowing Sunwing to keep there workforce in place for the foreseeable future. If you are also receiving the pay of a full time worker (on the ramp) I just see it as being morally wrong and basically taking the tax payer, especially those still working for a ride by taking these payments. Not to mention while you enjoy two pay checks you may also be taking a ramp job away from someone who really does need that single pay check at the moment?

At the same time I see your dilemma, there's no guarantee you'll return to Sunwing, I just think if you want to work the CEWS should be reduced accordingly, the "double dipping" which is no doubt happening I just feel is morally wrong and not what scheme and the use of tax payers money was intended for?
I’m assuming that is directed at me.

1. I’m not actually working. I was just pointing out I’m being paid by my employer. I am considered employed. I don’t see how working a 2nd job is going to get you in trouble with the government.

2. The morals of double dipping is a completely different discussion. I could easily live off of my savings until I get back to work, even if that is a couple years away. Should I not file for any support (CERB or EI) since these programs are intended to help you get by, not maintain your wealth?

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Doodlebugger wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 am The way I see it your current pay is being paid by the government, well ultimately by the Canadian tax payer via Sunwing. I'm pretty sure its not coming out of there pocket? These payments being put in place to enable you to manage while also allowing Sunwing to keep there workforce in place for the foreseeable future. If you are also receiving the pay of a full time worker (on the ramp) I just see it as being morally wrong and basically taking the tax payer, especially those still working for a ride by taking these payments. Not to mention while you enjoy two pay checks you may also be taking a ramp job away from someone who really does need that single pay check at the moment?

I will give you my opinion about the CEWS. When you work at Sunwing or any other major airline; at some point your income is above 200k per year; sometimes around 400k. We give a HUGE amount to the government with our income taxes. The CEWS tops at 847$ per week and it’s even taxable....it’s a pure disgrace and I really feel insulted....this is very far from being FAIR! This is peanuts; and it just reminds me to do my best to pay less income tax in the future.
The government can give any of us the CEWS for 10 years it will not even cover what we already gave with our income taxes ! We are not stealing the Canadian tax payers money.

Doodlebugger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Doodlebugger »

Firstly I think you should most definitely claim what your entitled to, that is what the system is in place for, to help those who pay into the system when they need it, that was never my argument. Having worked in the oil industry for nearly 20 years before a few years in aviation, I paid a teacher’s salary in tax for the majority of them so I feel your pain. I’ve seen a few downturns in oil, no bailouts, furlough or subsidized salary then, just laid off, such is life, shit happens. I took my EI which I was entitled to, around 500 a week which I was thank full for, and if I worked the odd day that was reduced accordingly, I think by 50 cents for every dollar earned, and I was OK with that.

My problem is at the other end of the spectrum, consider the FO that makes 50K a year and has now taken a job back on the ramp or is maybe driving a truck earning probably more than his FO salary, I know at least one guy who has gone back to trucking, while of course still picking up his subsidized FO salary which at the moment is being paid by the tax payer. This is what I consider “double dipping” and what I feel is morally wrong. I have no problem with my vast past taxes being used to help anyone when they need it, especially those that have paid in, I do however feel that when they are receiving more than they normally would and profiting from the situation, while at the same time taking a job from another guy who really needs just that single pay check of maybe $800 a week to put food on the table for his family, which is certainly not peanuts to everyone, something just doesn’t sit right?

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

My problem is at the other end of the spectrum, consider the FO that makes 50K a year and has now taken a job back on the ramp or is maybe driving a truck earning probably more than his FO salary, I know at least one guy who has gone back to trucking, while of course still picking up his subsidized FO salary which at the moment is being paid by the tax payer. This is what I consider “double dipping” and what I feel is morally wrong. I have no problem with my vast past taxes being used to help anyone when they need it, especially those that have paid in, I do however feel that when they are receiving more than they normally would and profiting from the situation, while at the same time taking a job from another guy who really needs just that single pay check of maybe $800 a week to put food on the table for his family, which is certainly not peanuts to everyone, something just doesn’t sit right?
I completely agree with that. At the end of the day everyones circumstances are different and you've got to make a call based on what feels right for you.

Legally is it ok, I don't know, I would guess it probably is because it's a very grey area (you're being paid by your company and sometimes people have second jobs but you're also kind of on welfare) so I doubt the government could come after you for doing so.

Morally is it ok, well that depends on your circumstances. Maybe you're taking that second job because you need a backup incase you don't get called back to your primary job but you still need the CEWS payments as the second job just doesn't pay enough. I've considered it too but in the way of trying to start a company so that I'm not taking a job that someone else needs.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

You’d have to pay the money back on your 2020 taxes. Unless you can get a job that pays cash! :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Anyone managed to get a mortgage while on the CEWS? I was considering getting a second house for rental purposes.

CEWS is kinda like a salary, we could be on it for years ;)

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Disregard the question, turns out you can.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I definitely understand the perspective that it could be morally wrong to work another job at full wages while double dipping into the CEWS. Here's one other perspective though. If you've been furloughed and put on CEWS by your main employer, having no clue if/when recalls will happen, whether or not the company will survive etc, would it not be smart to go find something else in the meantime? Then if your airline collapses, you're already in somewhere else, and aren't totally screwed. It's good to have a plan A, B and C in these times. Myself for example, I have a newborn baby, my Wife is on EI for mat leave, we have a house, and all associated expenses associated with that, plus a newborn. If I am legally allowed to collect CEWS, while getting another full time job in the meantime if that's what I need to do in order to keep my family's heads above water, then I have to do it. Like other people as well, I have paid an insane amount of income tax in the past, and undoubtedly, it is going to be even higher in the future to pay back all of these social assistance programs. So I say, if the CRA has no issues with it, and it's what I need to do to provide a quality life for my family, then I think it's what I need to do. If my airline goes belly-up while I'm on CEWS, and all of the jobs I could have had are all taken at that time, it would be an extremely bad situation for my family.

citizenbanana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citizenbanana »

So.. anyone working another job while on CEWS? What's in the deal I can't find any info on it. Are you just taxed heavier? Is there a cap on the amount you can earn? I heard $1000 a month but can't find any info to back that up either. Summer vacation is over, going to get me a job at Home Depot

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

You can work while on CEWS and there is no restriction as to how much you can earn. Treat CEWS like a first job income.. is it ethically right to do so? Some people may say no its not right taking away a job that someone else could do that isn't on some kind of subsidy, but at the end of the day, you have to know whats best for your situation. I personally have been applying for jobs while on CEWS. House renos and side projects are all done and I see myself cleaning the kitchen sink three times a day...time to start working id say! :lol:

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

You're not on CEWS, the company is. It's a subsidy for the business not the individual. There are no restrictions on working. As far as you're concerned, you're receiving a paycheck from the company.

Return to “Employment Forum”