Morningstar

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Morningstar

Post by Dronepiper »

YXDPilot wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 am Got a call last week. Interviewing tomorrow. Anyone know anything about their process? Couldn't find much online.
How many hours / experience do you have? Is it for the 208 spot? Or the ATR? Are you a laid off airline pilot?
---------- ADS -----------

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

I got an email a week or so ago saying the C208 position in YWG was "no longer being offered".

YXDPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YXDPilot »

Dronepiper wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 am
YXDPilot wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 am Got a call last week. Interviewing tomorrow. Anyone know anything about their process? Couldn't find much online.
How many hours / experience do you have? Is it for the 208 spot? Or the ATR? Are you a laid off airline pilot?
The interview is for YYC ATR position. Around 5,000 TT. I am indeed a laid-off airline pilot.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

YXDPilot wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:11 pm [quote=Dronepiper post_id=<a href="tel:1123105">1123105</a> time=<a href="tel:1595954335">1595954335</a> user_id=71274]
[quote=YXDPilot post_id=<a href="tel:1123090">1123090</a> time=<a href="tel:1595951584">1595951584</a> user_id=29639]
Got a call last week. Interviewing tomorrow. Anyone know anything about their process? Couldn't find much online.
[/quote]

The interview is for YYC ATR position. Around 5,000 TT. I am indeed a laid-off airline pilot.
[/quote]

Damn. Is it for Captain spot or FO spot? How much PIC do you have? Did you have an internal reference? I am just wondering what the new state of the industry looks like.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

Got a call last week. Interviewing tomorrow. Anyone know anything about their process? Couldn't find much online.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Damn. Is it for Captain spot or FO spot? How much PIC do you have? Did you have an internal reference? I am just wondering what the new state of the industry looks like.
[/quote]

Man, they probably had tons of good resumes to pick out. I have way above their requirements, pic time on type and haven’t got a call.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Just wondering if anyone got a call for the YVR 208 job? Just trying to figure out if it has been filled or are they digging out from the avalanche of resumes they are probably buried under?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

What aircraft do they have out of YMX? Just the ATR or the 757 too? Thx

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

ATR in CYMX as far as I know. 757s are only in Toronto

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
YXDPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YXDPilot »

Dronepiper wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:12 am
YXDPilot wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:11 pm [quote=Dronepiper post_id=<a href="tel:1123105">1123105</a> time=<a href="tel:1595954335">1595954335</a> user_id=71274]
[quote=YXDPilot post_id=<a href="tel:1123090">1123090</a> time=<a href="tel:1595951584">1595951584</a> user_id=29639]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply! YYC Cap spot, no internal reference, around 1500 PIC.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

10,000 hours TT or thereabouts. almost 4000 PIC in a heavy turboprop, heavy lobbying from more than one internal reference, Western based and familiar with all the places they will fly to.

Not so much as an automatic PFO (seriously, how hard is it to autogenerate a thanks, but no thanks). Hell, I'd take an FO position if it got me off the couch. I don't need the PIC time anyway and I'd stick around for at least the two year bond period (willing to move to YYZ if it got me onto the 757 down the road). Unfortunately, they don't even want to interview guys like me.

That's your state of the industry.

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

Unfortunately, they don't even want to interview guys like me.
With all of the applications they received, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still sorting resumes.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

AirportCoffee wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:00 pmWith all of the applications they received, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still sorting resumes.
My internal references tell me that they have more than enough applicants and all the positions are either filled or will not be filled by "airline people" no matter what experience they have. They are not going to even entertain over qualified airline pilots.

Unfortunately, once you go to a jet airline, you are dead to a turboprop operator.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It's less that and more knowing the industry will correct in time and they want guys who actually want to put in a couple years.

But you are right, some 3000+ aplications. No AC or WS pilots need apply as per my source.

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

I can certainly see how on one hand they don't want to invest their time in someone who will leave as soon as they are recalled back to AC or WS, but do they not realize that the same thing will happen to 704/705 lite captains who will go back to wherever they were making good $$$ prior?

While a job in this climate sure is nice, 55K in YVR only goes so far...

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

You never know what someone's motivation is without speaking to them. You can't assume that someone who has worked at AC or Sunwing and sees a future of commuting to YYZ after a possible recall wouldn't want this job. Maybe there is some guy out there who no longer gives a flying Fokker about the latest equipment bid, chasing the seniority carrot or some of the other BS that used to matter to people before COVID. One could likely build a nice little career and be home every day doing this job.

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

Sure, that's totally possible. The problem is that a blanket statement of "we're not taking airline guys" means that they won't look too hard at anyone's cover letter after reading that the applicant is on furlough. But what do I know, it's their company and they can run it however they please.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

BE20 Driver wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 pm You never know what someone's motivation is without speaking to them. You can't assume that someone who has worked at AC or Sunwing and sees a future of commuting to YYZ after a possible recall wouldn't want this job. Maybe there is some guy out there who no longer gives a flying Fokker about the latest equipment bid, chasing the seniority carrot or some of the other BS that used to matter to people before COVID. One could likely build a nice little career and be home every day doing this job.
Totally agree with you, I know a quite a few WJ mainline FO’s on furlough who have zero desire to return to WJ. Especially since some of them have only been with WJ for a short time and it was more than long enough, heck there’s even a few of them with ATR PIC time too.
Maybe it’s more of Morningstar realizing their own shortcomings and deflecting. They might realize their own WAWCON’s fall short, and they believe any former airline guy will be quick to realize this and will move on at the first chance. This in turn does not send a strong sign to the other employees. If you have someone whose experienced both sides first hand and ran back to their former spot at the first chance, does not send a good message. It shouldn’t be the financial risk aspect as a reason, recalls aren’t happening any time soon!

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 pm
Maybe it’s more of Morningstar realizing their own shortcomings and deflecting. They might realize their own WAWCON’s fall short
YOU WISH :smt040

Redmud
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Redmud »

What surprises me the most is two fold: firstly, young pilots entering the industry believe that when you hit 16000 hours with 10K hours heavy turboprop command plus thousands of hours on multiengine sea aircraft that you are automatically employable when the industry tanks and a few job adds start appearing... secondly, that history is not repeating itself... back in the early ‘90’s during the Gulf War I found laid-off airline pilots with 16K hours back flying C-310, C-208 etc etc... and the operators at the time were more than happy to have them because of “insurance requirements”... almost all the entry level jobs were filled by middle aged laid-off airline pilots... and, now after applying for a few float jobs on Beavers I discover a couple of operators have hired float pilots with only a couple of seasons under their belt... I went and chatted with one guy on the Beaver and he had under 400 hours float time, was happy to have the job etc.... well, I have thousands of hours on Beavers... a buddy at Morning spoke up for me for the ATR Captain job... I got 4800 hours in the left seat of that type out of the turboprop stable of my experience (10K+ hours PIC large turboprop) and the reply was - over qualified... so, 16K+ hours in the industry with diversified experience - airline/bush/aerial firefighting/training/grad degree/multilingual and not a bite...
So, looks like this over qualified pilot will pack the pick-up with gardening tools and head out to Victoria to attend to elderly people’s gardens until something with wings comes along...
To all the younger pilots out there - don’t believe for a minute that when you reach our level of experience that you are automatically employable - the whole industry is a farse... first you need multi time... so you go get it... then you need PIC time... so go collect some PIC.... then you need turbine time... then you need >12500 time... then you need trigger time (aerial firefighting)... then you need time on the Shuttle... you get the picture...and during economic down turns later in your career you realize too late how utterly useless all that experience is... so, as previously mentioned by others - go get a high tech education in IT/coding/systems admin etc. and run a parallel career along with your aviation adventure... when the flying adventure stops you can just continue on with your other career track...
So, am I missing something? What happened to the “insurance requirements” or, was that just another part of the hiring farse equation?
Red

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Redmud wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:08 am What surprises me the most is two fold: firstly, young pilots entering the industry believe that when you hit 16000 hours with 10K hours heavy turboprop command plus thousands of hours on multiengine sea aircraft that you are automatically employable when the industry tanks and a few job adds start appearing... secondly, that history is not repeating itself... back in the early ‘90’s during the Gulf War I found laid-off airline pilots with 16K hours back flying C-310, C-208 etc etc... and the operators at the time were more than happy to have them because of “insurance requirements”... almost all the entry level jobs were filled by middle aged laid-off airline pilots... and, now after applying for a few float jobs on Beavers I discover a couple of operators have hired float pilots with only a couple of seasons under their belt... I went and chatted with one guy on the Beaver and he had under 400 hours float time, was happy to have the job etc.... well, I have thousands of hours on Beavers... a buddy at Morning spoke up for me for the ATR Captain job... I got 4800 hours in the left seat of that type out of the turboprop stable of my experience (10K+ hours PIC large turboprop) and the reply was - over qualified... so, 16K+ hours in the industry with diversified experience - airline/bush/aerial firefighting/training/grad degree/multilingual and not a bite...
So, looks like this over qualified pilot will pack the pick-up with gardening tools and head out to Victoria to attend to elderly people’s gardens until something with wings comes along...
To all the younger pilots out there - don’t believe for a minute that when you reach our level of experience that you are automatically employable - the whole industry is a farse... first you need multi time... so you go get it... then you need PIC time... so go collect some PIC.... then you need turbine time... then you need >12500 time... then you need trigger time (aerial firefighting)... then you need time on the Shuttle... you get the picture...and during economic down turns later in your career you realize too late how utterly useless all that experience is... so, as previously mentioned by others - go get a high tech education in IT/coding/systems admin etc. and run a parallel career along with your aviation adventure... when the flying adventure stops you can just continue on with your other career track...
So, am I missing something? What happened to the “insurance requirements” or, was that just another part of the hiring farse equation?
Red
Good post. I would disagree with the IT side career thing. A skilled trade would be better imho. I tried the IT/coding route myself (university software engineering degree) and found that IT changes too fast to only do it part time. I'm now trying to jump back into tech and am having trouble with my skills being out of date during interviews.

Return to “Employment Forum”